Phase2 end links - Why is Nobody Running these?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 11:24 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Phase2 end links - Why is Nobody Running these?

I busted an end link and it's been making the absolute worst noise, so I had to get some new ones. I never upgraded them when I got my Eibach sways cuz I was just gonna wait for the stock ones to go. I know I haven't been getting optimal performance from my sways cuz those twigs that came stock just don't properly support the stiffer setup.

So, anyway, like I said, I finally popped one so I am gonna replace all 4. I know everyone does the whiteline thing, but my buddy's whiteline end links on his car snapped after about 2 months, so I wasn't super excited about them. Was gonna go with Moog's cuz they have a zerk fitting, but then I found these:
Name:  IMG_20170114_101225.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  201.4 KB

Look at these things! They're built like a tank. Has no one heard of these? I kind of took a chance on them, but now that they're in my hand they feel really well built. They're half the price of whiteline too. Wtf? Haven't installed them yet, but I can guarantee I will feel quite a difference.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:23 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
They look nice but that can be misleading sometimes lol. I will admit to being a big SPL fan boy but I tried their vaunted endlinks with great anticipation only to be let down big time. No matter how I adjusted them the made so much noise I thought I had a family of squirrels living in my suspension. I even went to their shop in Austin to get some love and sadly there was none to give. The guys tried to help but nothing they suggested worked so I sold them on the forum and went back to an OEM replacement, Moog brand IIRC. They have done well for 60K miles and were cheap as hell so win,win I suppose.

Let us know how you like them and where did you get them from?

Old 01-15-2017, 02:41 PM
That's my only concern is noise. Something this hefty has a big chance of making noise like the SPL. SPL's solid comp rod bushings do that too. I think it's supposed to be track use only ****. I got them off eBay, but it was thru a distributor of phase2. Phase2 is an actual company, so it's not an "eBay" part. On their website they have a bunch of stuff for a few select imports like s13s and stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (01-15-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Hey, blue, what kind of sounds did your spls make? Apparently these are like almost identical to the spls (build-wise), and I simply can't stand it. It's like a metal on metal sound..Like something is broken or loose..But I have checked all control arms, chassis braces, mounts for suspension pieces, etc.i found some loose parts and tightened em up thinking it'd be fixed, but it's almost worse now.

Was the sound you were talking about a like a violent, almost broken sound? Or just a speaking?

Old 04-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
I thought about getting those when I upgraded my sways, so far my oem still holding fine. I'll be lurking here see how this goes.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen
I thought about getting those when I upgraded my sways, so far my oem still holding fine. I'll be lurking here see how this goes.
Don't get me wrong, the steering is TIGHT. Much better than the OEM links performance-wise, but if it is what's making the noise, I don't think I can stand it. I mean the whole damn endlink is metal, I did not expect it to be this bad tho. Seriously sounds like my wheel is gonna fall off.

Only reason I'm questioning tho is cuz I changed my comp rod bushings at the same time and I tried to install them while they were still on the car (don't ever do that btw) thinking I was experienced enough to make it happen (it's impossible, trust me) and I had a hell of a time getting the bushings in cuz they were swelling up, and I wonder if I wiped too much of the lube off in all of the Hussle and bustle.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
After installing my Stillen sways I tried two different brands of end links that failed! I did a Search finding "Power Grind" adjustable end links! After 10 years they've stayed tight and held up after almost weekly canyon runs, I couldn't ask for better quality!
Gary

Old 04-12-2017, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
After installing my Stillen sways I tried two different brands of end links that failed! I did a Search finding "Power Grind" adjustable end links! After 10 years they've stayed tight and held up after almost weekly canyon runs, I couldn't ask for better quality!
Gary
Really? Never heard of those. I'll check em out if I have to replace these.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:49 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Hey, blue, what kind of sounds did your spls make? Apparently these are like almost identical to the spls (build-wise), and I simply can't stand it. It's like a metal on metal sound..Like something is broken or loose..But I have checked all control arms, chassis braces, mounts for suspension pieces, etc.i found some loose parts and tightened em up thinking it'd be fixed, but it's almost worse now.

Was the sound you were talking about a like a violent, almost broken sound? Or just a speaking?
Same noises you describe. Metal on metal, sometimes popping, creaking and super irritating noises. Sounded like the suspension was falling apart. I now have 137K on my car and the Moog links are holding up well. Don't remember how many miles were on it when I added them but it was over 60K miles ago for sure.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Same noises you describe. Metal on metal, sometimes popping, creaking and super irritating noises. Sounded like the suspension was falling apart.
This ^ is the exact noise I had when using the previous end links! They would never stay tight, obviously the result of cheap Chinese hardware. Power grid end links come with grade -8 bolts, they never fail and the only thing you want in your suspension!
Gary

Old 04-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
had whiteline for about 2yrs now, some "clicking" coming from a stop but never had an issue with coming loose or breaking.
would go with powergrid if these ever need replacing

Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
This could be subjective but why not just go with oem? do you track the car? is there a heavy demand for aftermarket endlinks?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen
This could be subjective but why not just go with oem? do you track the car? is there a heavy demand for aftermarket endlinks?
There are a couple reasons really: if you're lowered at all, even 1/2" you get pre-load on your end links which makes them wear out faster. You want to be able to adjust them to whatever suspension geometry you've got set up.

Second if you've upgraded your sway bars at all the OE end links weren't made for that excessive stiffness. Your sway bars are only as good as your end links as that's literally what the sway bar is using for support. If you've got big heavy sway bars being supported by those little oem twigs youve basically just changed your sway bars for nothing. You'd get more performance from stock sways with heavy endlinks than you would the other way around.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 PM
There are a couple reasons really: if you're lowered at all, even 1/2" you get pre-load on your end links which makes them wear out faster. You want to be able to adjust them to whatever suspension geometry you've got set up.

Second if you've upgraded your sway bars at all the OE end links weren't made for that excessive stiffness. Your sway bars are only as good as your end links as that's literally what the sway bar is using for support. If you've got big heavy sway bars being supported by those little oem twigs youve basically just changed your sway bars for nothing. You'd get more performance from stock sways with heavy endlinks than you would the other way around.
Exactly! ^ Any why it's important if you're running fat azz sways to opt for quality end links that complete the package! It's all about making early morning Ventura runs via Ojai thru all those very quick twisties without body lean or tire squeel! It's also called fun and early lunch on Ventura beach!
Gary

Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought you only get preload if your endlinks are different length each side?
Surely if you're lowered, the ARB would just pivot and the endlink ball joints would all just pivot with no added stress? That's the design of the ARB, it should allow identical movement on each wheel of an axle (lowering) but prevent one wheel from moving alone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.