Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for the positive feedback! I know how hard it is to find quality information as there is often more bad info out there on auto detailing than there is good. I do my best to try to give readers realistic expectations and not afraid to say I honestly don't know.

We recently picked up a few new product lines (Chemical Guys and BlackFire both in stock and will be up on our site soon) and an HD camcorder to bring shoot some high quality videos and offer some new products to diversify our brands. I look forward to see what 2008 has to bring!

Thanks again.

George

Old 04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question and I apologize if it has already been addressed. I was wondering if you are supposed to re-wash the car after clay barring or can you just move on to polishing/sealant. I have a limited amount of time (3-4 few hours) in the area I'll be working in before the sun is high enough to be in direct contact with my car and another couple of hours right before the sun sets. I don't mind rewashing, but at the same time I don't want to rush things with the fear that I'll take too long and not be able to finish due to being in direct sunlight. TIA

Last edited by Dakkerz; 04-07-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question #3,910,568

As a mobile detailer in my area, I often run into cars with interiors coated with pet hair/fur, more specifically dog hair. What's the best way to vacuum or remove the hairs from the floor mats and other carpeted areas?

My strategy, that is very time consuming, is to use the long narrow extension nozzle on the vacuum hose and apply lots of pressure while vacuuming in varying directions. In addition, I sometimes use my hands to rub the hair out with lots of pressure and varying motions.

Is there a special spray I can use to help loosen up the hairs? Is there a special nozzle I can get to help loosen the hair so it vacuums up better? Is there anything besides long, laborious hours?
Thank you!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
have you tried a lint roller? Seems like it would work ok.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used Duct Tape once out of frustration and almost as a joke...worked great actually.

Originally Posted by extreme4377
Question #3,910,568

As a mobile detailer in my area, I often run into cars with interiors coated with pet hair/fur, more specifically dog hair. What's the best way to vacuum or remove the hairs from the floor mats and other carpeted areas?

My strategy, that is very time consuming, is to use the long narrow extension nozzle on the vacuum hose and apply lots of pressure while vacuuming in varying directions. In addition, I sometimes use my hands to rub the hair out with lots of pressure and varying motions.

Is there a special spray I can use to help loosen up the hairs? Is there a special nozzle I can get to help loosen the hair so it vacuums up better? Is there anything besides long, laborious hours?
Thank you!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question #3,910,568

Thank you!!!
Not sure if it will get ALL the hair out, but have u ever tried those giant lint rollers they make for pet hair? I use to use them on our couch and recliner to pick up all the hair. It takes a few passes with different sheets to make sure u get all of it, and it may not get everything in the car, but i think it would be a good start

or a mobile extractor...

Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Dear George,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my reply two years later. I think I will go with that super intensive polish that you recommended. I use several different Menzerna polishes and FMJ as I stated earlier, and have been happy with all of them. I did like the FMJ, but then again I haven't really used any high end carnuabas either. I have only used NXT in the past. I am open to using a carnuaba, but since I prefer not to wax that often, I think a sealant would suit me better? My color is the diamond graphite (dark gray). Thank you very much for your assistance.

Warm regards,
Jason
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Jason,

Unfortunately you won't be able to get a 1 step product more aggressive than Intensive Polish that will still finish down without requiring follow up with a finishing polish. Your best option is probably Menzerna Super Intensive Polish which is basically the same cut as Intensive, but finishes down without the need of a finishing polish, like Final Polish II. Anything more aggressive would be sure to leave behind some marring and would require a second polish to remove them. If you had to go with 1 polish to remove light to medium swirls, this is the one I'd turn to.

After the polish, you'll have to decide if you want to go the sealant or wax route. Did you like the way Menzerna FMJ performed? It's a good, easy to use sealant, but the downside is it is a little pricey. Something like Poorboy's EX-P sealant is a great bang for the buck sealant. Perhaps if you'd like to try a sealant with some carnauba content already in there for added depth and gloss, consider Poorboy's EX Sealant.

You could top any sealant with your choice of carnauba wax for added depth and gloss to the paint. What color vehicle do you have? This can help me narrow down a selection for you.

For your leather, there's not an easy solution for cleaning out the perforated holes. I'd suggest an all purpose cleaner that is safe on leather along with a mild brush, or if you're really picky, a tooth pick. After cleaning, follow up with your choice of leather cleaner and conditioner.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

George

Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Dakkerz
Quick question and I apologize if it has already been addressed. I was wondering if you are supposed to re-wash the car after clay barring or can you just move on to polishing/sealant. I have a limited amount of time (3-4 few hours) in the area I'll be working in before the sun is high enough to be in direct contact with my car and another couple of hours right before the sun sets. I don't mind rewashing, but at the same time I don't want to rush things with the fear that I'll take too long and not be able to finish due to being in direct sunlight. TIA
In most cases, when I use a quick detailer, such as Poorboy's Spray & Wipe, as my clay bar lubricant, I keep a few MF towels handy and wipe off any excess residue. When I do this, I usually go right to polishing. If you use a combination of auto shampoo and water as your clay lube, then it is recommended to follow up with a wash to ensure any excess residue is removed. For optimal results, it's always best to rewash as you can help remove any debris that was loosened, but not picked up by the clay bar. Will it effect much if you go right to polishing? No.

Question #3,910,568

Thank you!!!
As others have mentioned, using some tape, like duct tape or a lint roller, is a good option. Another option that I heard works well is to use wet rubber gloves. This seems to attract the hair and clumps it together, easy to remove. Having a firm bristle brush also helps when working on carpet or upholstery. Between those 3 things, you should be all set with excess hair.

Originally Posted by threatcon07
Dear George,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my reply two years later. I think I will go with that super intensive polish that you recommended. I use several different Menzerna polishes and FMJ as I stated earlier, and have been happy with all of them. I did like the FMJ, but then again I haven't really used any high end carnuabas either. I have only used NXT in the past. I am open to using a carnuaba, but since I prefer not to wax that often, I think a sealant would suit me better? My color is the diamond graphite (dark gray). Thank you very much for your assistance.

Warm regards,
Jason
Jason, I think you'll be quite pleased with the Super Intensive Polish. Here's a thread showing how good it worked on some scratches another member had.

If you are looking for a deep wet look that will last without using a carnauba wax as a topper, consider the following combination we recently got in stock, I've been pretty impressed with the results. After you finish washing, claying or polishing, apply a coat or two of Chemical Guys EZ-Creme Glaze and top it with either Chemical Guys JetSEAL109 or their M-Seal sealant.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Old 04-11-2008, 04:50 AM
George,

I've read all your responses here and skimmed through some of your threads on other sites, so I've got a couple guesses as to what you'll recommend, but let's see...

I've got a Diamond Graphite G35 coupe, and I'll be honest -- I don't get that much of a thrill from detailing my car. I mean, it's well-maintained (I do most of the work myself) and (fairly) regularly washed, but while the detailing process is fun for a while, usually about halfway through I'm ready to be done. I like to keep my coupe clean, but I'm not one to obsess about fine scratches, swirls, etc. And I'm much more interested in paint protection with a decent shine than a super-deep gloss, so I'm sure a sealant is the way to go.

Basically, I'd like to keep it simple. I'm up for the clay bar treatment once or twice a year, and a long-lasting, easy to apply sealant would be ideal. I'd probably skip the polish/glaze/wax steps altogther. For regular washes, a good shampoo and maybe something to help maintain the sealant would be in order. If it matters, I live in Oregon where the summers are actually pretty dry, but winter (as I'm sure you know) is long and rainy.

Anyway, with all that being said, I'm open to any recommendations / suggestions you may have (even if you tell me to suck it up and put in the extra time needed to do it right ). Thanks in advance for your response -- this thread is a truly great resource for this site.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Sandman
George,

I've read all your responses here and skimmed through some of your threads on other sites, so I've got a couple guesses as to what you'll recommend, but let's see...

I've got a Diamond Graphite G35 coupe, and I'll be honest -- I don't get that much of a thrill from detailing my car. I mean, it's well-maintained (I do most of the work myself) and (fairly) regularly washed, but while the detailing process is fun for a while, usually about halfway through I'm ready to be done. I like to keep my coupe clean, but I'm not one to obsess about fine scratches, swirls, etc. And I'm much more interested in paint protection with a decent shine than a super-deep gloss, so I'm sure a sealant is the way to go.

Basically, I'd like to keep it simple. I'm up for the clay bar treatment once or twice a year, and a long-lasting, easy to apply sealant would be ideal. I'd probably skip the polish/glaze/wax steps altogther. For regular washes, a good shampoo and maybe something to help maintain the sealant would be in order. If it matters, I live in Oregon where the summers are actually pretty dry, but winter (as I'm sure you know) is long and rainy.

Anyway, with all that being said, I'm open to any recommendations / suggestions you may have (even if you tell me to suck it up and put in the extra time needed to do it right ). Thanks in advance for your response -- this thread is a truly great resource for this site.
Thank you for the kind words

Sealant route sounds like it'd be ideal for you. If you're up for claying once or twice a year, that's good, keep that in your routine. For a regularly maintained vehicle, stick with a fine grade clay bar.

If you're content with the amount of swirls and scratches you can skip the polishing step, but if you had to choose just 1 polish to remove light to moderate imperfections and increase the depth and gloss, pick the Menzerna PO106FF.

For a sealant (taking into consideration you want a product to use afterwards after washes, etc.) I'd recommend looking into either the Chemical Guys JetSEAL109 or M-Seal. JetSEAL gives a little more of the wet carnauba look, while offering solid protection. M-Seal, for under $20 is one of my favorite sealants bang for the buck. To follow up with the sealant after a maintenance wash, consider pairing either of the CG Sealants with Chemical Guys Blitz Spray on Sealant. This will help add depth and gloss, while furthering the durability and protection of your sealant. They are optimized to work well together and think you'll enjoy the ease of use and the results from the combination.

For a shampoo, I like Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds. It suds up nicely, has great lubricity and is gently cleans so that it does not strip off your previous coats of protection.

This certainly would get you started in the right direction. If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Enjoy your weekend,

George

Old 04-12-2008, 05:19 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
George,

Any reason you guys stopped carrying Nattys Red?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by kernel843
George,

Any reason you guys stopped carrying Nattys Red?
Natty's Red was a limited edition run, unfortunately it's been discontinued and we sold out. We did however pick up 3 new paste waxes recently that are all great products. Pete's '53 and 50/50 Paste Wax from Chemical Guys and Blackfire Midnight Sun. 50/50 is a great value considering you get 16 oz of product. We still have Natty's Blue from Poorboy's World too.

Natty's Red was a great wax for $25, bummer it is no longer being produced.

George

Old 04-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
George,

just for future reference. since Natty's Red is no longer available, what is your best recommendation for silver cars...P21S Concours Carauba? not looking to spend a lot, hence the reason for purchasing Natty's Red.

thanks.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:40 PM
George,

I wipe my interior with 303 protectant and I also use Prima Nero's interior liquid to protect the vinly and all the plastics in my G. But every single gawd damn time I wipe it, a week later, all the dust comes back onto all my vinyl, plastics, radio console, etc.

It's so freakin' annoying. I have to carry a box of swiffers to collect the dust. Is it because the dust is residing in the carpets? I sometimes drive with the windows down, I mean who doesn't? You think shampooing the carpets will do the trick?

Or is all the dust living in the vents and if I turn on the air, then all the dust is going to blow out? I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by DRG35R
George,

just for future reference. since Natty's Red is no longer available, what is your best recommendation for silver cars...P21S Concours Carauba? not looking to spend a lot, hence the reason for purchasing Natty's Red.

thanks.
P21S Concours Carnauba wax is a great option on lighter colors, like silver, white, etc. Another good option even thought its formulated for darker colored vehicles, is Natty's Blue Paste Wax. For under $20, I've yet to find a better performing wax on any color.

Originally Posted by SuperShick
George,

I wipe my interior with 303 protectant and I also use Prima Nero's interior liquid to protect the vinly and all the plastics in my G. But every single gawd damn time I wipe it, a week later, all the dust comes back onto all my vinyl, plastics, radio console, etc.

It's so freakin' annoying. I have to carry a box of swiffers to collect the dust. Is it because the dust is residing in the carpets? I sometimes drive with the windows down, I mean who doesn't? You think shampooing the carpets will do the trick?

Or is all the dust living in the vents and if I turn on the air, then all the dust is going to blow out? I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?
I don't think (or know of) much can help prevent dust from accumulated on your dash and interiors. I'm sure it's a combination of everything you've mentioned, probably the most important is driving with your windows down. This often brings in new dust and debris and also stirs up older stuff that is in your car. I do this quite a bit as well and always notice a small layer of dust accumulating. I just keep 1 plush microfiber towel and a 4oz pump spray bottle with some 303 AP in my glove box and give it a wipe whenever it's bothering me. Keeping your interior as clean as possible will always help the most because you won't be stirring up old dust and debris as you drive. Hope this helps.

George

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...