Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Be sure to keep us posted on how things turn out with your detail. We greatly appreciate your support!

Thanks again!

George

Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Be sure to keep us posted on how things turn out with your detail. We greatly appreciate your support!

Thanks again!

George

well since u asked... i thought it came out great...well atleast for my first time using a buffer, they still some technique to master....but in the end the next day all of the marks done from light wet sanding(3000 and 2500 grit) came back. Sunday evening i could not see any of the marks, then the next day they were all back.... now i did not use alot of pressure during the wet sand.....perhaps i just need a more abrasive polish?..... or do u think i ruined the already bad paint job the guy did on my hood?......

Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by bigugly78cj5
well since u asked... i thought it came out great...well atleast for my first time using a buffer, they still some technique to master....but in the end the next day all of the marks done from light wet sanding(3000 and 2500 grit) came back. Sunday evening i could not see any of the marks, then the next day they were all back.... now i did not use alot of pressure during the wet sand.....perhaps i just need a more abrasive polish?..... or do u think i ruined the already bad paint job the guy did on my hood?......
What type of lighting were you working with when polishing? Sometimes lighting makes all the difference in revealing your true results. You also may have experienced the polishes filling in some light marring / haze, which you can reveal by wiping the panel down with some Isopropyl Alcohol and water mixture. What was the polish / pad combo you went with? If it was just PO106FF, then chances are you could benefit from a more aggressive polish.

We'll get this figured out so you can remove those wet sanding marks for good.

George

Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM
been busy at work, have not had a chance to get back on here and reply till now.......... but as far as the lighting just the sun, was in a shady area. the marks still come and go depending on the time of day lol. As far as pads i used... i tried them all since i only had the 106ff i was hoping a diffrent pad may help starting with white then orange then yellow and i guess with the sun going more and more down i thought i got rid of the marks....they did go away some....but not enough..........let me know if u need pictures or anything to help reccomend a product to get these gone....

Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
been busy at work, have not had a chance to get back on here and reply till now.......... but as far as the lighting just the sun, was in a shady area. the marks still come and go depending on the time of day lol. As far as pads i used... i tried them all since i only had the 106ff i was hoping a diffrent pad may help starting with white then orange then yellow and i guess with the sun going more and more down i thought i got rid of the marks....they did go away some....but not enough..........let me know if u need pictures or anything to help reccomend a product to get these gone....
On a scale of 1 - 10 in terms of aggressiveness, PO106FF is about a 3. By going as high as a yellow pad with a finishing polish, you may have in fact introduced some additional marring in your paint. You always want to match the aggressiveness of the pad with the aggressiveness of the polish, I personally never go more aggressive than a white pad with PO106FF. You certainly will benefit from a more aggressive polish, consider Super Intensive Polish or regular Intensive Polish. I'd rate these about a 5 of 10 in terms of aggressiveness. I'd recommend applying either of these polishes with an orange light cutting pad, then following up with a white pad and the PO106FF. If you need even more cut than the SIP/IP, consider Menzerna Power Gloss, which would be applied with an orange light cutting pad or yellow cutting pad. Again, you'd need to follow up with the SIP/IP orange and PO106FF / white combo to remove any marring left behind.

I'd recommend investing in a dual 500W halogen set at Sears or something equivalent to properly show the imperfections your working on. They run between $30 - $50. Other options are portable light guns, like the 3M Sun Gun or Brinkmann dual xenon or dual halogen gun.

You'll definitely get better results if you follow those steps.

George

Old 08-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Great...thanks.... i will be looking into buying one or more of those products by tuesday so i can hopefully get it by the weekend...As far as the lights... i have 2 sets of the ones from sears u mentioned in my shop..... this detail was really a trial and error, get used to the machine type thing...Id most likely go with buying the IP, and the power gloss, the SIP is a little pricey due to the large amount.... would the power gloss on orange or yellow followed by the IP on orange follow by 106ff on white should do the trick.....

Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Great...thanks.... i will be looking into buying one or more of those products by tuesday so i can hopefully get it by the weekend...As far as the lights... i have 2 sets of the ones from sears u mentioned in my shop..... this detail was really a trial and error, get used to the machine type thing...Id most likely go with buying the IP, and the power gloss, the SIP is a little pricey due to the large amount.... would the power gloss on orange or yellow followed by the IP on orange follow by 106ff on white should do the trick.....
Definitely is going to be a huge improvement for you in terms of the amount of imperfections removed and the overall depth and gloss of the paint. Keep us posted on how things turn out!

George

Old 09-01-2008, 02:37 AM
hello! new to all this detailing for the car... I've been reading up on stuff here but I thought I'd just ask instead, it's giving me a headache lol. my '08 pg sedan is 4 months old now and has some light swirls, water spots,and bird bomb etches...I wanted to polish it nice and put jet seal 109 on.. what do you recommend? Do i need a light polish, or can i make do with a non abrasive polish like klasse all-in-one? (or do i have it all wrong?) I also noticed a light scratch on my rims from rocks or something, will any of the polishes help? it's pretty heart wrenching, i thought it was dirt but it wouldn't wash off

Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by tygr
hello! new to all this detailing for the car... I've been reading up on stuff here but I thought I'd just ask instead, it's giving me a headache lol. my '08 pg sedan is 4 months old now and has some light swirls, water spots,and bird bomb etches...I wanted to polish it nice and put jet seal 109 on.. what do you recommend? Do i need a light polish, or can i make do with a non abrasive polish like klasse all-in-one? (or do i have it all wrong?) I also noticed a light scratch on my rims from rocks or something, will any of the polishes help? it's pretty heart wrenching, i thought it was dirt but it wouldn't wash off
Good questions. Lets start with the imperfections first. Any time you have swirls, water spot etchings, bird dropping etchings, scratches, etc. think of them as dips and valleys in your clear coat. The only way to remove them is to use an abrasive polish combination to even out your clear coat. Something like Klasse All In One may help remove mineral deposits left behind from water spots, but it wouldn't put a dent in any etchings or swirls or scratches. You certainly want to start with the least aggressive polish that gives you the results your looking for.

If you're looking for a recommendation, I'd start with Menzerna PO106FF as a starting point. Depending on how deep the imperfections are will determine if you need more aggressive polishes or not. It's tough to judge, I've seen some bird dropping etchings that come right out with a light polish and some that require wet sanding to remove 100%. You'll also get the best results when applied with a quality buffer, such as a Porter Cable 7424, or better yet a Flex XC 3401 VRG.

After removing the imperfections, then you'll want to apply the Jet Seal 109 to protect your paint. You'll enjoy JS109.

Regarding your wheels, you can try something like the PO106FF, however wheel finishes are very difficult to correct, and sometimes if you go too aggressive, you can remove the finish completely or make it worse. P21S Finish Restorer is a metal polish you can use to help brighten the finish of your wheels and bring it back to a high gloss.

One last thing, I'd make sure you spend some time reading up on the proper washing and drying techniques as that is where a majority of swirls and other imperfections occur.

If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
George,

Did PW bring back Natty's Red? I saw it in the e-mail sent today.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:02 PM
alright coool
thanks Lot George!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by kernel843
George,

Did PW bring back Natty's Red? I saw it in the e-mail sent today.
Yep, another limited edition run for 2008. Great price on it for September!

George

Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey George,

I am about to make an order from you and just have a couple questions.

1. I have frequently used P21S Concours as a topper on my sealants and was wondering for optimal results from Dodo Juice Super Natural; if this would be alright. More specifically; I was thinking 3-4 layers of KSG underlying 2-3 layers of Dodo Juice Super Natural.

2. How durable is Super Natural under your experience?

3. Does Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil specifically require Prestine Clean? I was going to follow up with Lexol Leather Cleaner instead but am not certain if this will do (my seats are in good condition).

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Hey George,

I am about to make an order from you and just have a couple questions.

1. I have frequently used P21S Concours as a topper on my sealants and was wondering for optimal results from Dodo Juice Super Natural; if this would be alright. More specifically; I was thinking 3-4 layers of KSG underlying 2-3 layers of Dodo Juice Super Natural.

2. How durable is Super Natural under your experience?

3. Does Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil specifically require Prestine Clean? I was going to follow up with Lexol Leather Cleaner instead but am not certain if this will do (my seats are in good condition).

Thank you in advance.
Good questions. You certainly can use Dodo Juice over sealant just as you would the P21S Wax your familiar with. I'd still give your sealant the 24 hour cure time before applying your wax for best results. Space out the Dodo layers 24 hours each as well ideally.

Supernatural has offered me very tight beading for the first 4 - 6 weeks. It looked like it kept protecting upwards to 8 - 10 weeks, but the beading wasn't as tight. For how easy it is to apply and remove, I was pleased with the durability.

If your seats are in good condition, then you probably don't need the Rejuvenator Oil. I'd personally probably give it a thorough treatment with just the Prestine Clean. I've never used RO without PC, and it is recommended to remove RO with PC. It seems as though the products are designed to work together, I'm not sure how Lexol would work, because I believe with Lexol, they suggest using the conditioner after the cleaner, not like Leatherique where you do the deep conditioning first, then clean. I'd stick with either just Prestine Clean or do both steps with Leatherique.

If you have any other questions, let me know! Can't wait to hear what you think of Dodo Juice Supernatural.

George

Old 09-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Good questions. You certainly can use Dodo Juice over sealant just as you would the P21S Wax your familiar with. I'd still give your sealant the 24 hour cure time before applying your wax for best results. Space out the Dodo layers 24 hours each as well ideally.

Supernatural has offered me very tight beading for the first 4 - 6 weeks. It looked like it kept protecting upwards to 8 - 10 weeks, but the beading wasn't as tight. For how easy it is to apply and remove, I was pleased with the durability.

If your seats are in good condition, then you probably don't need the Rejuvenator Oil. I'd personally probably give it a thorough treatment with just the Prestine Clean. I've never used RO without PC, and it is recommended to remove RO with PC. It seems as though the products are designed to work together, I'm not sure how Lexol would work, because I believe with Lexol, they suggest using the conditioner after the cleaner, not like Leatherique where you do the deep conditioning first, then clean. I'd stick with either just Prestine Clean or do both steps with Leatherique.

If you have any other questions, let me know! Can't wait to hear what you think of Dodo Juice Supernatural.

George
Thanks George. I just placed my order. I will take some shots of the finished results for you. If it can outshine my P21S; I will be making room for the larger version next spring .

- Asad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...