Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my car was in a wreck and had some of the car repainted so i have to wait 90 days until i can do the full detail. In the mean time im gonna wash the car with http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...-wash-soap.htm just to be on the safe side. But I have a couple questions as to which products i should purchase for the full detail in the future.
The color is Diamond Graphite

Car Soap: Citrus wash and gloss or poor boys super slicks and suds??????

Claybar: clag magic fine grade

polish: i have swirl marks but they arent to badd??? any adivce???

Glaze:?????

Sealant:?????
do you seal or wax or do both???
Wax:???

Interior Protectant: 303 protectant

degreaser: p21 total auto wash

Leather Care: Lexol

sorry for all the questions,
thanks

Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by skiffangler
my car was in a wreck and had some of the car repainted so i have to wait 90 days until i can do the full detail. In the mean time im gonna wash the car with http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...-wash-soap.htm just to be on the safe side. But I have a couple questions as to which products i should purchase for the full detail in the future.
The color is Diamond Graphite

Car Soap: Citrus wash and gloss or poor boys super slicks and suds??????

Depends on your goals, Super Slick & Suds is a maintenance shampoo and will not strip off previous coats of sealant or wax. Citrus Wash & Gloss can be used in high concentration to strip off previous coats of wax or diluted down to use as a maintenance shampoo. Both shampoos are great, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

Claybar: clag magic fine grade

Good choice, what I usually turn to.

polish: i have swirl marks but they arent to badd??? any adivce???

If the swirls are minimal, if I had to choose 1 polish, PO106FF would be it, if you need a two step, add Intensive Polish or better yet, Super Intensive Polish. PO106FF is our Daily Special today so you can save more by purchasing today.

Glaze:?????

Glazes are optional but often add a layer of depth and gloss to the paint. Recently I've been using Blackfire's Gloss Enhancing Polish with great results.

Sealant:?????
do you seal or wax or do both???
Wax:???

You can apply both for maximum durability and protection as well as maximum depth and gloss. For diamond graphite, a great bang for the buck combo would be Poorboy's EX-P topped with Natty's Red Limited Edition Wax. If you're looking to spend a little more, consider Jet Seal 109 topped by Pete's '53 Wax.

Interior Protectant: 303 protectant

degreaser: p21 total auto wash

Leather Care: Lexol

sorry for all the questions,
thanks
The rest of your selection looks great. If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

George

Old 07-16-2008, 01:48 PM
just a few quick questions, do i need to strip off old wax before detail???

and if you were just gonna wax without seal would you choose Nattys red limited edition wax or petes'53 wax?

and which lubricant with the clay bar?

and how many cars will 16oz of polish do?
thanks again

Last edited by skiffangler; 07-16-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
George,
Whats a good glaze for IP that can be applied by hand? I use FMJ as my sealant so I guess it should work well with that also. If I have already applied FMJ to my car but havent done a glaze, can I put the Glaze on top of the sealant or do I need to strip everything down and start over?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by skiffangler
just a few quick questions, do i need to strip off old wax before detail???

and if you were just gonna wax without seal would you choose Nattys red limited edition wax or petes'53 wax?

and which lubricant with the clay bar?

and how many cars will 16oz of polish do?
thanks again
If you're performing a full detail, then it'd recommended to strip off previous coats of protection. If you're performing a maintenance wash and wax, then no, build upon your existing layers. To remove previous coats of wax, I typically use a mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water (50/50 mix).

Both are good waxes, I think Natty's Red may outlast Pete's '53 by a little bit, but Pete's '53 will offer a deeper and wetter finish.

I use Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe as my clay lube.

I use between 1oz and 2oz of polish on a mid sized vehicle, so between 8 - 16 applications.

Originally Posted by Taktix1
George,
Whats a good glaze for IP that can be applied by hand? I use FMJ as my sealant so I guess it should work well with that also. If I have already applied FMJ to my car but havent done a glaze, can I put the Glaze on top of the sealant or do I need to strip everything down and start over?
If you're applying a glaze, such as Menzerna FTG, which is formulated to work under FMJ, then you'd want to strip things down and start fresh. Some people have layered the Chemical Guy's EZ-Creme Glaze over a sealant with good luck since it has some polymers in it. Typically the order goes, wash -> prep -> glaze -> sealant -> wax. Hope this helps.

George

Old 07-17-2008, 10:52 AM
George,
So would you just spray and wipe the alcohol mixure once. Is that enough to get the old wax off. Or should I do it a couple times over. I want to apply a sealant, so I need to get the old wax off right? Would a light pressure application of 106FA with a blck pad work good to remove the old wax? Or is the spray method better?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by loudog2
George,
So would you just spray and wipe the alcohol mixure once. Is that enough to get the old wax off. Or should I do it a couple times over. I want to apply a sealant, so I need to get the old wax off right? Would a light pressure application of 106FA with a blck pad work good to remove the old wax? Or is the spray method better?
I've done some tests and as long as you get some alcohol on the waxed area, it cuts right through. Polishing is another way to remove old wax as well, so yes 106 would remove old wax. I personally like to polish just clear coat, so I'll strip off any protection first, not sure exactly HOW much difference it makes if you polish over wax vs polish bare clear coat.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

Old 07-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Sealant Question!

Hello George,

I know a layer of sealant should be allowed 24 hrs for it to be properly applied. What happens if you don't wait for 24 hrs and do several layers that same day? Is there a downfall? The reason I ask is I notice detailers offering several layers of protection (sealant) that same day.

Thanks,

LMULION03

Old 07-19-2008, 03:45 PM
OK I'm almost ready to submit my order once you answer this question for me =)

How does the Klasse HGSG compare to Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 and FMJ?
Does meguiars' wax work well with any one these sealants?

ALso, which sealant and wax combo do you recommend for Diamond graphite paint? I remember going through a thread about it but I don't remember seeing DG but I think you recommended Natty's blue paste for darker colors

Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by lmulion03
Hello George,

I know a layer of sealant should be allowed 24 hrs for it to be properly applied. What happens if you don't wait for 24 hrs and do several layers that same day? Is there a downfall? The reason I ask is I notice detailers offering several layers of protection (sealant) that same day.

Thanks,

LMULION03
If the sealant hasn't fully cured and you apply a second coat before then, you can lose out of some of the benefits of layering multiple coats (durability and shine). The only benefit of doing multiple coats one right after another is to ensure even coverage. You will not get extended durability, increased depth and gloss, etc.

Originally Posted by HITMANVQ35
OK I'm almost ready to submit my order once you answer this question for me =)

How does the Klasse HGSG compare to Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 and FMJ?
Does meguiars' wax work well with any one these sealants?

ALso, which sealant and wax combo do you recommend for Diamond graphite paint? I remember going through a thread about it but I don't remember seeing DG but I think you recommended Natty's blue paste for darker colors
Klasse HGSG is one of my favorite sealants, however it's one of the more difficult products to remove. The frustration of looking at your car afterwards and seeing what looks to be swirls (excess product in the directions you applied it in) is not a good feeling. There are some tips to help make sure you remove the product. For what it's worth, I'd rather apply a product that's 10x easier to work with, and apply it a month sooner. Klasse HGSG does offer some very durable protection, especially if you get around to layering it.

Natty's Blue is one of the best bang for the buck waxes on darker colors. Other great options are Chemical Guys 50/50 Wax, Natty's Red (which we just got back in stock as a limited edition run), and Blackfire Midnight Sun.

True results come from the time put into properly prepping the paint (wash, clay, polish steps). Once you perfect those, most sealants and waxes will look great, then it's just a matter of which one looks the best to you.

Hope that helps!

George

Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM
i have a OB coupe.. iv never waxed or detailed her yet... besides the ****ty *** job the dealership did that left swirls everywhere.. so i was wondering what would give me a good start on the right materials for just a maintenance wash and wax cus i really have no idea. thanks!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by haywordvq35
i have a OB coupe.. iv never waxed or detailed her yet... besides the ****ty *** job the dealership did that left swirls everywhere.. so i was wondering what would give me a good start on the right materials for just a maintenance wash and wax cus i really have no idea. thanks!
I'd first start out investing in a quality wash kit so that you don't have to worry about adding more imperfections to the paint. A good starting point would be our Washing & Drying Starter Package. This will give you everything you need (except 2 buckets) to perform a quality wash. For step by step instructions on how to get the most out of the wash package, read our Washing & Drying How-to Guide.

A good wax for OB paint is Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax. Bang for the buck it's one of the best performing waxes out there. It adds a ton of depth and gloss to the paint and gives darker colors that wet look. Another good option would be Pete's '53 Wax or Pinnacle Souveran.

If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Have a great weekend

George

Old 07-25-2008, 06:40 PM
ok we spoke before man you are a genius....

COLOR:LASER RED

I AM ABOUT TO MAKE A NICE PURCHASE ON YOUR WEBSITE MAN...
q's
1. i have light fine (THIN) swirls on direct sun light **MAJOR ON HOOD****
2. WHAT two polishes would i use **keep in mind ill be doing it by hand dont have money yet to get a orbital**
3. would i use a fine claybar????
4. how often do i soap and dry then how often do i full detail??
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I was going to purchase the pure carnauba wax but i just read one of your posts stating that pete 53 or cg5050..
also going to purchase sheepskin mit (ditching sponge) and a ultra-lit mit for those DIRTY parts.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Need a really good detailer in Houston for a new car

Anyone know of a good detailer in Houston? This will be for a new car coming up as well as my G...

Preferably would like someone to go to the dealership to do a new car detailing instead of having the dealer do it. Subsequent detailing can be done wherever(when i don't want to do it myself)

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jnmunsey
Anyone know of a good detailer in Houston? This will be for a new car coming up as well as my G...

Preferably would like someone to go to the dealership to do a new car detailing instead of having the dealer do it. Subsequent detailing can be done wherever(when i don't want to do it myself)

Thanks!
http://www.detailuniversity.com/find...location=texas

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...