Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi George,
I know this was already answered at some point, but I think there were two contradicting answers I read along the way. I'm not sure as all the information is overwhelming and hurting my head after reading for hours about detailing. But for the p21s concour carnauba wax... I believe this comes in a paste form so I would apply this by hand rather than by buffer correct?
My other question is if we apply glaze before we apply sealant, does it result in a decrease of the protection length of the sealant?
That discount sure came in handy. Thanks George. Still can't believe I just spent so much money on detailing supplies though...

Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi George! Have you ever encountered a situation where clearbra gets stained yellow because of bug splatter? If yes, were you able to clean it off, and how were you able to do it? Thank you!!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Porter Cable

George,
I'm the guy that won the Porter Cable from you back in late Feb, early March. I've been wanting to tell you how happy I am with that tool, what a difference it makes in the results of a wax/polish job on my black G, nary a swirl like hand applying, I am one pleased owner of the PC, anytime you need a good review of this, I'm game!
Thanks again,
Tom

Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by loudog2
George,
what is the best way for wax application hand, orbital or pc? I've looked on the "post your supplies" thread. No one has an orbital. Do they all use the PC? What is a good brand of orbital? I don't want a cheap one that will break. Or should I get a pc?
For wax, the best application is hand application. Most waxes are in paste form and if you attempt to apply it with a buffer, you end up wasting way too much product and make the removal process difficult. Via hand application you can use the product more efficiently yielding better results and an easier removal. Polishing on the other hand is best applied with a quality buffer and removed by hand with a quality microfiber towel.

If you are seeking a quality buffer, the Porter Cable 7424 is the standard in the industry, but there are some more becoming popular. The Flex XC3401VRG is a more powerful, but still safe, dual action buffer. This can correct twice as many imperfections in nearly half the time as a PC. Other quality buffers are UDM, Cyclo, Meg's version of the PC and the Makita dual action buffer. One of the nice things about the PC is that there are service centers across the country. As a rule of thumb, any buffer under $100 typically does not have enough power to properly break down a polish.

Originally Posted by methtical
Hi George,
I know this was already answered at some point, but I think there were two contradicting answers I read along the way. I'm not sure as all the information is overwhelming and hurting my head after reading for hours about detailing. But for the p21s concour carnauba wax... I believe this comes in a paste form so I would apply this by hand rather than by buffer correct?
My other question is if we apply glaze before we apply sealant, does it result in a decrease of the protection length of the sealant?
That discount sure came in handy. Thanks George. Still can't believe I just spent so much money on detailing supplies though...
Correct, P21S Concours Carnauba wax should be hand applied with the supplied applicator pad. The foam applicator pad that comes with the wax is very high quality and can be stored inside the jar for convenience.

For your glaze/sealant question, it really depends on what combination you're talking about. Some glazes are heavier in oils, which can often prevent sealants from properly bonding to them. The benefit of this is increased depth and gloss in the paint. These types of glazes should only be topped with a carnauba wax. Other glazes utilize different types of fillers to get the job done and sometimes can help the sealant bond to it, for example, the Chemical Guys EZ-Creme Glaze topped with either of their sealants, M-Seal or Jet Seal 109. If you opt for that combo, I don't think you'll notice much if any difference in durability.

Originally Posted by Armanius Maximu
Hi George! Have you ever encountered a situation where clearbra gets stained yellow because of bug splatter? If yes, were you able to clean it off, and how were you able to do it? Thank you!!
Consider trying a non-abrasive chemical polish such as Klasse All In One on the clear bra. This will help clean it as well as leave behind some protection that will make cleaning your clear bra easier in the future.

Another alternative would be to try some Plexus on the clear bra. Plexus is another plastic cleaner, polish and protectant in one.

Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
George,
I'm the guy that won the Porter Cable from you back in late Feb, early March. I've been wanting to tell you how happy I am with that tool, what a difference it makes in the results of a wax/polish job on my black G, nary a swirl like hand applying, I am one pleased owner of the PC, anytime you need a good review of this, I'm game!
Thanks again,
Tom
Tom, thanks for the PM, I'm glad you're enjoying the Porter Cable. If you would like to review the product, here's a link to our Porter Cable 7424 product review page on Detailed Image. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Congrats again on the win, that was one of our bigger contests we ran.

George

Old 05-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Consider trying a non-abrasive chemical polish such as Klasse All In One on the clear bra. This will help clean it as well as leave behind some protection that will make cleaning your clear bra easier in the future.

Another alternative would be to try some Plexus on the clear bra. Plexus is another plastic cleaner, polish and protectant in one.

George
Hi George, thanks for the recommendations. For either the Klasse All In One or the Plexus, do I use them as a cleaning solution adding it to water when I first wash the car, or do these products only go on after I've already washed the car? Thank you!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Armanius Maximu
Hi George, thanks for the recommendations. For either the Klasse All In One or the Plexus, do I use them as a cleaning solution adding it to water when I first wash the car, or do these products only go on after I've already washed the car? Thank you!
Both products would be used after a wash. Klasse is a chemical cleaner that should be applied with a foam applicator pad. Plexus is an aerosol can that I'd recommend spraying on a microfiber towel and working into your clear bra with light pressure.

Let me know if you have any other questions on anything.

George

Old 05-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
George,

sent you a pm regarding my questions on the previous page. please let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by DRG35R
George,

What do you think of the Mother's Powerball products i.e. Powerball Mini and Powerball 4Paint?

The condo community I live in does not allow us to work on our cars in front of the building. I have to do all of my detail work in my office garage and there is no access to a power outlet. Needless to say I have to do all work by hand which is very time consuming, tiring and not as efficient.

A Powerball seems like a no brainer for someone like myself since I would be able to use with my cordless multi speed driver. I would think that I would get better results from the Menzerna polishing products I am using. The Powerball mini also looks like the perfect solution for hard to get at spots and wheels.

Let me know your opinion.

Thanks.
Sorry for missing this post before. I personally do not have any hands on experience with any of the Powerball products, but I can give some feedback from what I've read online. The Powerball for wheels is pretty popular and does a good job getting in hard to reach areas while polishing to a nice shine. From the people who use it, they seem to like it and recommend it to others.

From what I read about the Powerball 4Paint, seems to be a waste, but I don't know people are comparing it to something like a PC or from going from a hand application.

If you end up trying it, keep us posted on how you make out.

George

Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Sorry for missing this post before. I personally do not have any hands on experience with any of the Powerball products, but I can give some feedback from what I've read online. The Powerball for wheels is pretty popular and does a good job getting in hard to reach areas while polishing to a nice shine. From the people who use it, they seem to like it and recommend it to others.

From what I read about the Powerball 4Paint, seems to be a waste, but I don't know people are comparing it to something like a PC or from going from a hand application.

If you end up trying it, keep us posted on how you make out.

George
Thanks George. I certainly would not choose this over a good PC polishing, but for my circumstances it may save me some time and wear on my shoulders. I get enough of a workout in the gym.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 AM
George,
Does your 10%off work for the porter cable? I went on your site to purchase the pc and some pads, along with the the counter weight and backing plate. But the 10% off only applied to the backing plate. The total for my order was $163 w/shipping. I'm just seeing if I applied the 10% off wrong before I submitt it.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
George,
Does your 10%off work for the porter cable? I went on your site to purchase the pc and some pads, along with the the counter weight and backing plate. But the 10% off only applied to the backing plate. The total for my order was $163 w/shipping. I'm just seeing if I applied the 10% off wrong before I submitt it.
Unfortunately discount codes do not pertain to certain items, such as either buffer, vacuum or water purification system, any of our pre-made packages and current homepage specials. The products that do not apply are already discounted heavily or we're currently offering our lowest possible price. The products it does not apply to states it on the bottom of the description as well as when you enter the discount code in a red font.

For another couple weeks, use the discount code SpeedyDI for 15% off instead of the normal 10% off for G35 Members.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

George

Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks George! I just submitted my order. How long is the fedex ground? 5-7 days?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Thanks George! I just submitted my order. How long is the fedex ground? 5-7 days?
Unfortunately FedEx already came today so it won't ship out till Tuesday because of the holiday weekend. You're 3 business days away normally with FedEx Ground shipping, so you should see it a week from today, Friday May 30th.

Thanks for your support, it's greatly appreciated. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

George

Old 05-29-2008, 03:26 AM
George,

What's your take on those California car dusters? Are they legit to use, or do they just scratch up the paint? I am so tempted to use it for 2-3 days after I wash the car, because it's still clean but pollen and light dust starts to accumulate within an hour or so afterwards. Should I just stay away from the duster?

Thanks.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by 425skyline
George,

What's your take on those California car dusters? Are they legit to use, or do they just scratch up the paint? I am so tempted to use it for 2-3 days after I wash the car, because it's still clean but pollen and light dust starts to accumulate within an hour or so afterwards. Should I just stay away from the duster?

Thanks.
Good question. Some enthusiasts who use them swear it doesn't cause any swirls or micro-marring. I'd sell them in my store if I felt comfortable recommending them to our customers, but I don't.

Personally, I use a quality quick detailer, such as Poorboy's Spray & Wipe and a plush microfiber towel. I feel safer having the surface properly lubricated and using thick microfiber strands to help pull the dust and debris away from the surface.

With any tool or process, the technique plays a large part in your results (or risks).

Hope this helps.

George

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...