Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks George for the information. I am out in the Los Angeles area. I am new to detailing so this is a great help. I was just afraid that if I used these abrasive products the clear coat would eventually come off in a year or something.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by lmulion03
Thanks George for the information. I am out in the Los Angeles area. I am new to detailing so this is a great help. I was just afraid that if I used these abrasive products the clear coat would eventually come off in a year or something.
Take a look here: Detail University: Find A Detailer

Looks to be a few detailers near your area.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
George,

I purchased the Menzerna Final Polish II from you and I am getting ready to use this. I do all my work by hand with a polishing pal kit. I use the red pads for applying waxes and sealants. The kit also came with orange and white pads. Which pad do you recommened for use with the Menzerna? Also, how do recommend application for ease of use? Do you apply and immediately remove or can this dry a little before removal? I have used Klasse AIO in the past and it needs to be removed right away.

As always, thanks for the information.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by DRG35R
George,

I purchased the Menzerna Final Polish II from you and I am getting ready to use this. I do all my work by hand with a polishing pal kit. I use the red pads for applying waxes and sealants. The kit also came with orange and white pads. Which pad do you recommened for use with the Menzerna? Also, how do recommend application for ease of use? Do you apply and immediately remove or can this dry a little before removal? I have used Klasse AIO in the past and it needs to be removed right away.

As always, thanks for the information.
If it's Lake Country foam, then for Final Polish II I'd use the white pad, since that is the polishing pad. For any polish application, you need to apply consistent pressure when working the product into the paint. When working by hand, you want to work in very small areas, since it's more difficult to properly break down polish abrasives. Polishing with Final Polish II leaves nothing behind on the paint, so there is no reason to wait for removal, simply work it into the paint until a milky haze, remove it with a microfiber towel and move onto the next section. I'd start around 12" x 12" areas.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out for you.

George

Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
If it's Lake Country foam, then for Final Polish II I'd use the white pad, since that is the polishing pad. For any polish application, you need to apply consistent pressure when working the product into the paint. When working by hand, you want to work in very small areas, since it's more difficult to properly break down polish abrasives. Polishing with Final Polish II leaves nothing behind on the paint, so there is no reason to wait for removal, simply work it into the paint until a milky haze, remove it with a microfiber towel and move onto the next section. I'd start around 12" x 12" areas.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out for you.

George
Not sure of the brand of pad, but I purchased this kit from Superior Car Care website. what is the orange pad for? it is much thicker.

I am going to clay the car, polish with the FPII, seal with Mother's Synwax and top off with Natty's Red. Anxious to see the results. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
George,

What metal polish would you recommend for polished aluminum wheels...no clearcoat.

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Premier Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey George, What clay bar would you recommend for Ivory Pearl.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
George,

What metal polish would you recommend for polished aluminum wheels...no clearcoat.

Thanks.
I've had good luck with P21S Finish Restorer. Wenol is also a good metal polish. How'd your detail turn out?

Originally Posted by VCG35
Hey George, What clay bar would you recommend for Ivory Pearl.
I always recommend using a fine grade clay bar unless you are removing paint overspray, which a medium grade bar would be more beneficial. When used correctly, a fine grade bar shouldn't leave behind micro-marring, where a medium grade bar is almost sure to leave behind some marring, but it's more effective at picking up stubborn contamination.

George

Old 03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I've had good luck with P21S Finish Restorer. Wenol is also a good metal polish. How'd your detail turn out?

George
waiting for a good weekend without rain.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Premier Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always recommend using a fine grade clay bar unless you are removing paint overspray, which a medium grade bar would be more beneficial. When used correctly, a fine grade bar shouldn't leave behind micro-marring, where a medium grade bar is almost sure to leave behind some marring, but it's more effective at picking up stubborn contamination.

George
Thanks George, Ordering a Fine Grade Clay bar right now.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 PM
i have a question regarding rim care...

what is the best/safest way to remove "caked on" brake dust from a painted rim surface?

thanks in advance!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by sncskyline
i have a question regarding rim care...

what is the best/safest way to remove "caked on" brake dust from a painted rim surface?

thanks in advance!
If the rim is painted, treat it the same as your paint. I'd start off by using a fine grade clay bar and see how that does on the brake dust. If that doesn't do the trick, try a mild polish and move up to something more aggressive if needed. After you get your wheels to the point where you are satisfied, I'd recommend protecting them with some sort of sealant, like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant.

George

Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM
George,

I have another rim care question.

I have a set of polished and anodized aluminum rims with a clearcoat. I am getting ready to put these rims on for spring/summer/fall seasons. I usually use ScratchX to polish and PB's wheel sealant for protection. I noticed some hair like scratches on the lips of the rims. I tried both the ScratchX and Menzerna Final Polish II to try to remove the scratches, but neither really did much but improve the shine. I also used a white polishing pad by hand for application, but this did no better than a typical foam pad.

I know I will not be able to remove all of the scratches by hand, but do you have any suggestions/products to improve my results?

Also, I put a coat of PB's Natty's Red, with a red applicator pad, on my car last weekend as I did not have time for a complete detail. This stuff is very easy to use and left an incredibly slick finish with a great shine. It rained on and off this week and I have never seen a car bead so much water.

I see you are having a special on P21S Kit. Any specials on the refills?

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
George,

I have another rim care question.

I have a set of polished and anodized aluminum rims with a clearcoat. I am getting ready to put these rims on for spring/summer/fall seasons. I usually use ScratchX to polish and PB's wheel sealant for protection. I noticed some hair like scratches on the lips of the rims. I tried both the ScratchX and Menzerna Final Polish II to try to remove the scratches, but neither really did much but improve the shine. I also used a white polishing pad by hand for application, but this did no better than a typical foam pad.

I know I will not be able to remove all of the scratches by hand, but do you have any suggestions/products to improve my results?

Also, I put a coat of PB's Natty's Red, with a red applicator pad, on my car last weekend as I did not have time for a complete detail. This stuff is very easy to use and left an incredibly slick finish with a great shine. It rained on and off this week and I have never seen a car bead so much water.

I see you are having a special on P21S Kit. Any specials on the refills?

Thanks.
You've already gone about as aggressive as I'd go on the lips. You can try a more aggressive polish and pad combo, but I'd worry about removing too much clear on the lips.

Glad to hear you liked the Natty's Red. It was (was, since it's been discontinued by Poorboy's) a great wax.

No sale on the refill P21S Wheel Gel at the moment, but I may run a mid month special on some other detailing supplies. I'll keep you posted.

George

Old 04-06-2008, 02:23 PM
George,

I'd like to thank you for all the help you've given me in answearing all my questions and other members of Gdriver as well. I feel confident reading all your responses because I know you are a professional and give honest answears. Its hard nowadays to find businesses that care about their customers and uphold integrity. I also like your website, I love the tutorials and your prices are great along with all the contests and specials. Keep up the good work!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...