Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Dsskyline,

sorry I did not take any before pics. wheels were in very good condition to begin with. after using ScratchX, they were much smoother and more shiny. they almost looked new again with the exception of some tool marks from some idiot who mounted tires...get that fixed later. could post some after pics, but would not really help you out. try the ScratchX if you are using by hand, but skip the Wheel Wax...see below.

IvoryG,

made sure to spread the wheel wax very thin and still it stuck. but only in areas were it was last to be removed. had to go back over with applicator pad and then wipe off. best results are if you do a small section and wipe immediately before it can dry. kind of like Klasse AIO. ordered Poorboy's wheel sealant from George as he advised it is much more user friendly with removal. it is easier for me to apply to entire wheel and then remove. will post my results and impression of the Poorboy's.

FYI. wheels are G-Games 99B in the shining silver color with small polished lip.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
I have axis shines on my car and I want my lip to stand out more since they are machine polished.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do?

I want them to stand out like my old wheels in the last pic or close to it.

Thanks
Do you know if the lip has a clear coat on them or bare metal? If it's clear coated, not much you can do about the finish underneath the clear coat until you strip off the clear coat.

If it's bare metal, you can use different levels of metal polish to bring the finish out some more. I've had good luck with P21S Finish Restorer, I know Mothers Billet Polish is a good over the counter metal polish, and have heard good things about the Flitz metal polish.

I do my metal polishing with a specific metal polishing microfiber towel, where one side is designed to apply a product, and the other acts like a jewelers polishing towel to remove the haze and bring out the maximum shine. The only downside is it turns the towel black pretty quickly if you are working on uncoated metal.

Good luck, keep us posted with what you end up using and how it turns out. After you get your wheels to the finish you are after, I'd recommend sealing them up with Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant to maintain that look and make future cleanings much easier.

George

Last edited by Detailed Image; 01-11-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey George,

I have been reading this thread the past couple of days and would have to agree that this is one of the most informational threads i have read. I have recently been bit by the detailing bug. I have been both researching and stock piling products the past couple of months. Seems that everyone is talking about Menzerna SIP and 106ff as the best combo out there for removing swirls/holograms/blemishes from our cars. I recently used Pro Polish(finishing polish) from Chemical Guys with a PC and an Orange LC pad (speeds 5-6) with great results. I dont remember reading about anyone using Chemical Guys stuff on here. Do you know if CG's Pro Polish would yield the same results as the 106ff? I was wondering b/c i can get a gallon of Pro Polish for a little less than the 32 ounces of 106ff.

On another note I just recently started using a leaf blower to dry off my car and it works quite well. A little loud so i would recommend putting in some ear plugs What ever water drops are left go over it with the WWMF.

Heres a link to some pics i posted in another section of this forum...

https://g35driver.com/forums/northern-california/196370-zaino-pics.html

Thanks again for the great info,

Jeremy

Old 01-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
George,

received first order of supplies two nights ago. that was quick! thank you.

immediately got busy polishing a wheel with ScratchX in preparation for the Poorboy's wheel sealant. first impression of the Poorboy's is that it is not as watery as the Wheel Wax I had and smells 10X better. applied with a foam applicator that had been misted with Eagle One wipe and shine. product went on very easily and only had to use a small amount to cover entire wheel. completed application over wheel and sat back and let dry a bit. removal with a MF towel and I can't even begin to tell you how much easier it was to remove compared to the Wheel Wax. even after I let sit on wheel for longer periods of time. still came right off!

not knocking Wheel Wax as I have used this for years with very good results, but this Poorboy's is almost fun to use as it is so easy to apply and remove. put three coats on the wheel just because it was so easy. this is exactly what I was looking for.

the other thing I noticed is the slickness. could not believe how the surface felt afterwards. have never used a product that made the wheels feel so slippery. can't imagine much sticking to these now. Wheel Wax does a great job of protecting the finish, but did not make the finish this slick and I did a side by side comparison.

thanks so much for the recommendation and great customer service. can't wait to try the other products I ordered.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by InLU
Hey George,

I have been reading this thread the past couple of days and would have to agree that this is one of the most informational threads i have read. I have recently been bit by the detailing bug. I have been both researching and stock piling products the past couple of months. Seems that everyone is talking about Menzerna SIP and 106ff as the best combo out there for removing swirls/holograms/blemishes from our cars. I recently used Pro Polish(finishing polish) from Chemical Guys with a PC and an Orange LC pad (speeds 5-6) with great results. I dont remember reading about anyone using Chemical Guys stuff on here. Do you know if CG's Pro Polish would yield the same results as the 106ff? I was wondering b/c i can get a gallon of Pro Polish for a little less than the 32 ounces of 106ff.

On another note I just recently started using a leaf blower to dry off my car and it works quite well. A little loud so i would recommend putting in some ear plugs What ever water drops are left go over it with the WWMF.

Heres a link to some pics i posted in another section of this forum...

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196370

Thanks again for the great info,

Jeremy
Jeremy, thank you for the post and positive feedback. CG makes some great products, in the next couple of months I hope to be stocking some of their stuff. I personally haven't used any of their polishes yet, but I've yet to hear of a polish that outperforms the higher end Menzerna polishes in terms of results and overall finish. Super Intensive Polish is the perfect polish for correcting most imperfections and not needing to go to a finishing polish afterwards. I find this polish works great on lighter colored vehicles, since I can appreciate the added depth and gloss the PO106FF brings on all vehicles, but specifically darker colored vehicles. Menzerna rates Super Intensive Polish a gloss rating of 3.5 of 5 and the PO106FF a 5 of 5 and to me it is noticeable. PO106FF polish is also a pleasure to work with. Minimal dusting, long workability, easy to remove, it's almost difficult to screw it up!

Let us know what you end up going with. I'm looking forward to trying some more CG products, specifically their Citrus Wash & Jet Seal. I have a feeling I'll be sticking with the Menzerna line of polishes though.

Great pics, (both the detail and your photography... What camera did you use?), car looks great!

Originally Posted by DRG35R
George,

received first order of supplies two nights ago. that was quick! thank you.

immediately got busy polishing a wheel with ScratchX in preparation for the Poorboy's wheel sealant. first impression of the Poorboy's is that it is not as watery as the Wheel Wax I had and smells 10X better. applied with a foam applicator that had been misted with Eagle One wipe and shine. product went on very easily and only had to use a small amount to cover entire wheel. completed application over wheel and sat back and let dry a bit. removal with a MF towel and I can't even begin to tell you how much easier it was to remove compared to the Wheel Wax. even after I let sit on wheel for longer periods of time. still came right off!

not knocking Wheel Wax as I have used this for years with very good results, but this Poorboy's is almost fun to use as it is so easy to apply and remove. put three coats on the wheel just because it was so easy. this is exactly what I was looking for.

the other thing I noticed is the slickness. could not believe how the surface felt afterwards. have never used a product that made the wheels feel so slippery. can't imagine much sticking to these now. Wheel Wax does a great job of protecting the finish, but did not make the finish this slick and I did a side by side comparison.

thanks so much for the recommendation and great customer service. can't wait to try the other products I ordered.
DRG35R, thanks for the update! Glad to hear that your products arrived quickly and safely. From everything you described to me with Wheel Wax, I knew you'd be impressed with Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. Like I said before, between the two products, it's a no brainer for me to reach for the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. The ease of use, surface slickness and performance make this a must have in my book.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the rest of the products you picked up.

Thanks again for the great update. Perhaps you may want to spin this post into a review for the contest we are running. Wouldn't take much more than a few minutes to possibly win $50.

George

Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me George. I am going to get the two polishes from Menzerna and check them out very soon. I use CGs Citrus Wash+Gloss and i am very pleased with it. I use very little of the concentrated wash and you can just feel how slick the water becomes. A good buddy of mine has used CGs Jet Seal and has had nothing but good things to say about it.

Thanks for the kind words on my pics The camera is a Nikon DC40 i believe (it is my friends camera).

Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
George,
here's a twist on the mf towel care question for ya if you would please

I ordered a glass polishing towel http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...ng-Towel-P102/ from you the other day. First off, let me say this thing is amazing for getting that crystal clear polish on the glass! Definitely worth 6 bucks Everyone go get one now!

However, i did manage to pick up some dirt in it, even after washing the glass with glass cleaner and regular mf towel. Is there a special way you care for these particular towels?

I get the impression from the website that it is ok to treat it like your other mf towels and care the same way. Figured what the hell, was worth $6 to find out. Toss it in the washer with the rest (per website instructions) and it came out a little more raggedy than it went in... still usable, but i don't think it'd stand up to too many more washings... Edges didn't fare well and the cloth may has lost a little bit of its... rigidity if that makes sense.

Regular mfs and drying towel come out fine. Any advice?

Also, any chance of getting Prima products added to the catalog? I love the Nero interior spray

Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by InLU
Thanks for getting back to me George. I am going to get the two polishes from Menzerna and check them out very soon.
Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the Menzerna polishes. I'm excited to check out some of the CG line in the near future as well.

Originally Posted by Glycerine
George,
here's a twist on the mf towel care question for ya if you would please

I ordered a glass polishing towel http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...ng-Towel-P102/ from you the other day. First off, let me say this thing is amazing for getting that crystal clear polish on the glass! Definitely worth 6 bucks Everyone go get one now!

However, i did manage to pick up some dirt in it, even after washing the glass with glass cleaner and regular mf towel. Is there a special way you care for these particular towels?

Also, any chance of getting Prima products added to the catalog? I love the Nero interior spray
Thanks for the feedback on the glass towel. My guess to what happened is that the other microfiber towels were clinging on to the glass microfiber towel and pulled it causing it to fray. I haven't noticed this when I wash my glass towels with other ones, but to play it safe, next time around, consider washing it separately with just some water, detergent and a little bit of distilled white vinegar.

We're in the process of moving into a significantly bigger warehouse by the end of the month, primarily to expand our product offerings. I haven't evaluated the Prima line yet but I will definitely keep it in consideration.

I'm sending you a PM as well.

George

Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
My guess to what happened is that the other microfiber towels were clinging on to the glass microfiber towel and pulled it causing it to fray. I haven't noticed this when I wash my glass towels with other ones, but to play it safe, next time around, consider washing it separately with just some water, detergent and a little bit of distilled white vinegar.
Will do. It was probably more a function of my washer. Not quite as delicate as the newer models And I still do whole heartedly recommend this towel to buff your glass. Still can't get over how crystal clear everything was on my way in to work

I haven't evaluated the Prima line yet but I will definitely keep it in consideration.
Please let us know if you do. That Nero is the only thing i put on my dash now

Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have noticed that ANY MF towel will pick up just about anything. If I drop one on the grass, I just throw it in the oil rag pile, it's worthless. You can wash them time and time again and the only way to get the grass and leaves out is to pick it out by hand.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I have noticed that ANY MF towel will pick up just about anything. If I drop one on the grass, I just throw it in the oil rag pile, it's worthless. You can wash them time and time again and the only way to get the grass and leaves out is to pick it out by hand.
Yep, I'm the same way. The "clinginess" of microfiber works great on dust, light contamination and product removal, but it can also have a difficult time releasing certain things like leaves, excessive dirt, etc. as well. I found that it helps to wash with distilled white vinegar mixed in your wash, especially to get product off of towels.

George

Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by treacherous
I apologize if this has been covered already.

I have some micro-scratches on some of the chrome at bottom of windows. The chrome polishes I have only seem to accentuate them.

What can I use to make them less noticeable?

Thanks!
Window trim can be very difficult to repair. To remove scratches or swirls, you'll need an abrasive polish, the problem with that is the clear coating or the chrome coating can be so thin that you can wear it away pretty easily or make the problem worse. You can try something like ScratchX or a finishing polish like Menzerna Final Polish II or PO106FF if you have either of those laying around, but please try it in a small area and monitor your work and results carefully to ensure you are not causing any more damage to the trim.

Let us know how things turn out.

George

Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George . . . .

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I was wondering if the new p21 pure carnuba wax has any advantage over concours version.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by SCoupe
George . . . .

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I was wondering if the new p21 pure carnuba wax has any advantage over concours version.
Durability is supposed to be improved with the 100% Carnauba version and its optical clarity is slightly better so it will give a sharper look to it. Considering until the end of this month it's only $8 more, I think it is worth it.

I'll have to do some more testing with it before I can definitively say it's worth $18 more when it goes back to the regular $49.99 price in February. It'd be an easy yes if the pure carnauba wax lasts 8 weeks and the concours lasts 4.

Time will tell. If you end up picking some up, please let us know your thoughts on it!

George

Old 01-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George, got a couple of questions:

1.) When you wash, do you want to apply a lot of pressure with your wash mitt? Is the idea to let the soap lift the dirt off and use the mitt to just "wipe" it off? Usually, I use a lot of force with my mitt to wash and i just get SUPER tired. my arms feel like they're gonna fall off. that's why i'm so discourage to wash my car every week cuz it's just a hassle. am i doing something wrong?

2.) Also, i've been using zaino for awhile now. i am using z2 and z5 for my car. let's say i want to start all over. i've been using dawn to get rid of the top layer. is that the right way to do it?

3.) what's the difference between your clay bars on your website? the descriptions are exactly the same =)

4.) how do you exactly want to wash your wheels? i think you mentioned to use some wheel cleaners like p21s but is regular car soap good enough? would buying that gel or cleaner really help? any brushes that are good or should i just buy another mitt or what?

5.) i'm so inundated with all these polishes for my car. i just don't know which one to use. you speak of so many but i don't want to spend all this money and buy the wrong ones. i have a diamond graphite coupe with swirls cuz i can see it in the sun. but i want to get rid of those swirls and make the paint really "pop". i guess PC7424 would be the best tool to get it out but i'm a n00b and never polished before. I know i should probably just try a small patch first. I've been watching the videos here: http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html and they really help.

6.) Also, with all this rainy season coming in california, does it really help to wash your car that much?

7.) Also, i'm assuming a car cover would really help since i park outside right? i'm planning on getting an OEM one so i'm assuming it won't scratch or scuff the paint.

I guess keeping my car clean and looking nice is a GREAT thing but after all the things i need to buy from your site, it freakin adds up to like 100+ dollars, not including the PC. I just want to do it right, find a technique and methodology that works and stick with it for the lowest cost.

Thanks for listening and reading George =)

Last edited by SuperShick; 01-22-2008 at 01:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...