Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Black rubber around outside of all windows???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black rubber around outside of all windows???

What is it called & how do to clean it?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I just call it the rubber/plastic stripping. I use meguiars rubber/vinyl protectant, works great. About $5 at a local autozone. Any protectant like armor all should work fine too.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Well I usually use armour all to maintain it but what about if the rubber is starting to look old in some spots!? Like if it looks faded or has some type of gunk? Any way to restore it or is it better to get it replaced?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Are you asking because its stained

or just want to keep it from looking weathered ???

Look into "black again" ..

Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Mine looked faded and the protectant made it look new again. I don't know how bad yours is.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Interesting...ima try meguiars then & see what happens. Yea, it kinda resembles rust but on rubber so im not sure what it really is but i cant stand looking at it cuz my g is all black so u can see the spots.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glass Seals

The seals on automobile are no longer made from natural rubber. Auto manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called EPDM, (ethylene propylene diene monomer). Natural rubber or blends that contain rubber cannot endure the direct exposure to ultra violet radiation (UV) and oxidation.

EPDM has extremely poor resistance to solvents and oils. Do not use a cleaner or any chemical product that contains oils or Dimethalsilicone (DMS) usually a clear greasy liquid, which leaves a never-dry gloss film, as most contain petroleum distillate solvents that are that are incompatible with EPDM.

Exterior - For dull or faded seals or window mouldings- remove imbedded white stains in vinyl and rubber mouldings; first wipe the mouldings with a multi-purpose cleaner. P21S Total Auto Wash or 1z Plastik Reiniger (Deep Cleaner) both products are excellent for this task. This removes any wax / polish / silicone debris and dissolves surface stains.

Protection - with 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger” provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep exterior ‘rubber’ and vinyl looking like new. Apply with a micro fibre towel or applicator pad and give the trim a quick once over.

Interior - The soft seals around doors, windows, sunroofs, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. Use a product that contains glycerine (Iz enzett Gummi Pflege or Zymol Seal) a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking

For dull or faded ‘rubber’ (EPDM) seals or window mouldings: along the top edge of the door, where the window enters and exits the door there is a gasket, fully roll down the window and use a micro fibre towel and clean in between the rubber seals on both sided of the window. The inside edge of this gasket is usually felt lined and can/will pick up contaminations (oil / grease) as the window is operated. Be sure to clean the inner gasket edge thoroughly at the same time you're cleaning the guides

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (10-18-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 PM
I need to replace the cracked rubber trim pieces(glass seals) on bottom of all four exterior windows on my 07 G35S. Where do i get the new parts and how to replace?

Old 12-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Meguiar's "Ultimate Black!" This stuff is amazing, makes all the trim on SLICK look better than new!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 12-07-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
You all serious? Use tire shine on any black plastics and it looks dope for months.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
You all serious? Use tire shine on any black plastics and it looks dope for months.
Would anyone take the advice of a member that named his ride a "Piece of ****?" He must really enjoy what he drives.
Tire black is specific for rubber, the trim around our windows and top requires a dressing made just for them...Meguiar's Untimate Black is perfect making the trim look better than new!
Gary

Old 12-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Haha its not a literal description, Gary. Its kind if sarcastic. And I've used back to black and its nothing special. I guarantee you a good tire shine works WAAYY better than armor all, black chrome, back to black, black magic, etc. etc. Tire shine IS made for shining rubber. Eagle One, STP foaming tire shine, Maguire's Tire Shine are all great for bringing plastics back to life and it literally lasts for months. Just because it says tire shine doesn't mean it can't be used for other things. Some of you brand ****** and snobs just buy things so you can say you have/use them. Give it a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Leather cleaner actually works better on interior plastics than most plastic cleaners too. But don't listen to me,, my cars just a piece of ****.
Name:  IMG_20141014_181912.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  79.7 KB

Old 12-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Haha its not a literal description, Gary. Its kind if sarcastic. And I've used back to black and its nothing special. I guarantee you a good tire shine works WAAYY better than armor all, black chrome, back to black, black magic, etc. etc. Tire shine IS made for shining rubber. Eagle One, STP foaming tire shine, Maguire's Tire Shine are all great for bringing plastics back to life and it literally lasts for months. Just because it says tire shine doesn't mean it can't be used for other things. Some of you brand ****** and snobs just buy things so you can say you have/use them. Give it a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Leather cleaner actually works better on interior plastics than most plastic cleaners too. But don't listen to me,, my cars just a piece of ****.
inven front
Make it happen
Car will be even cleaner

Old 12-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
inven front
Make it happen
Car will be even cleaner
That's a bit aggressive for me. I really just want the sport bumper; That's next on my list. The sport bumper just gives that little bitty ting.