Joining the FI club this weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Joining the FI club this weekend

http://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitro...-turn-key.html

Taking off a vortech v3 from a z(chefJ) and putting it on my G. I have a oil and trany cooler coming also doing a snow meth/water injection kit as well as lower temp T stat and if that were not enough also installing revised z springs and d-specs and rear camber kits at the same time. Getting it tuned by Cobb next week hopefully. Big thanks to Chef j and acidjake, for making this all possible. Trying to get all this done by the 26th because that's when the apex driving day is at motor sports ranch. Will keep everyone posted just thought yall should share in my new journey. Pics and vids to come soon.

Last edited by Kirks06; 09-16-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 AM
In for the win! I love me some sleepers.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:55 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
i miss my Vortech

Old 09-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you using the AccessPort?

I am curious to see how it works out. On my 09 I can't seem to adjust timing with the AccessPort, and there is no way that would work with any FI system. If you are using the AccessPort, I hope they figure it out (according to their site you can go +/- 2 degress with AccessPort on older models).

Old 09-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by jran76
Are you using the AccessPort?

I am curious to see how it works out. On my 09 I can't seem to adjust timing with the AccessPort, and there is no way that would work with any FI system. If you are using the AccessPort, I hope they figure it out (according to their site you can go +/- 2 degress with AccessPort on older models).
That's why I put a hopefully tuned by Cobb, they told me when I bought the access port that it would be no problem it would just cost 150 for another dyno tune and custom map for the ap and that would be that. I called them at the main number in UT and he said he didn't know that it was up to what the tuner could do. Then I called Neil at Cobb plano and he said that he would ask Calvin the guy who did my n/a tune and would call me back so far not yet will call them back in the morning. So that's where I am at. I sure hope they can do it, from what I have read the ecu is limited by the mass air flow sensor. If they can't do it and I spent 700 bucks for a toy and a n/a tune I will be one unhappy customer. Sorry so long just had alot to say.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Keep us informed on the progress. very very much subscribed!! I hope this works out well in your favor! Congrats on making the leap.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the club

One piece of advice to avoid future disappointment, don't fully plan on making the Apex event. Things have a way of popping up during such a big modification, and you want to make sure you get everything just right before thrashing your car on the track. It may happen and you could be ready in time, just know that it's normal if you don't!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Mad A:

I was thinking the same thing it wasn't that I planned on doing this now it just popped up and it was a great deal so I went for it. Maybe I should call them and see if I can get my money back that will take some of the presure off and you are correct I don't want to be thrashing it on a track unless it's completely ready.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are pretty cool about letting you come back at another event instead, as long as they can find someone to take your spot.

When all is done, let me know how the water/meth kit goes, as I have been eying that for about a year, lol. It would be awesome if you could get all set up and tuned without it, then put it into the equation with a second map. That way you'll know how much it really helped, and also if you're out of juice you can switch maps and still boost!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mad A
Welcome to the club

One piece of advice to avoid future disappointment, don't fully plan on making the Apex event. Things have a way of popping up during such a big modification, and you want to make sure you get everything just right before thrashing your car on the track. It may happen and you could be ready in time, just know that it's normal if you don't!
^+1111

When i turbocharged my 1989 Cavalier, i only got to enjoy 3 months of it. Although it took me 3 months of actually building the block from scratch, i rushed the install of all the external components. One day i was driving and my oil pressure dropped to 2psi. My oil return line on my oil cooler came loose. I forgot to securely tighten it...DOH! A chunk of one of my pistons was taken off. I was surprised my car lasted 3 months with the line somewhat loose before the line actually failed.

anyway, congrats and i am sooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous! One day when i have a daily driver i will FI my baby. Good luck on the install and can't wait to see it at the meets!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kirks06
That's why I put a hopefully tuned by Cobb, they told me when I bought the access port that it would be no problem it would just cost 150 for another dyno tune and custom map for the ap and that would be that. I called them at the main number in UT and he said he didn't know that it was up to what the tuner could do. Then I called Neil at Cobb plano and he said that he would ask Calvin the guy who did my n/a tune and would call me back so far not yet will call them back in the morning. So that's where I am at. I sure hope they can do it, from what I have read the ecu is limited by the mass air flow sensor. If they can't do it and I spent 700 bucks for a toy and a n/a tune I will be one unhappy customer. Sorry so long just had alot to say.
Definitely keep us posted. It will be good information for anyone considering the AccessPort. In talking to their tech support/engineers in UT, the information I provided above is what I got back. I could be completely wrong though; I was really asking about the newer model for my 09 (the 004 version). All in all these are things that we should have probably been told a head of time, but lets see what happens. If they can't adjust timing beyond +/- 2 degrees as stated, there is no way I would tune a FI system with it.... Keep us posted.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
we will be taking lots of pics...er at least I will be hehehe.. I will probably be doing the springs and struts and assisting with the pull and install of the SC. Im looking forward to it Kirk.. Listen - the sooner you can get GiGi into cobb the better..
And +1000000 on waiting on the event (if your not done in time of course).. This is going to be UBER fun!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by acidjake75
we will be taking lots of pics...er at least I will be hehehe.. I will probably be doing the springs and struts and assisting with the pull and install of the SC. Im looking forward to it Kirk.. Listen - the sooner you can get GiGi into cobb the better..
And +1000000 on waiting on the event (if your not done in time of course).. This is going to be UBER fun!

Thanks again Jake for the help, I have already called and cancelled the apex driving event I just don't need that kinda rush. Although now my next question is if my car is going to down for a while anyway should I go ahead and pull the trany and install the gtm tc and valve body upgrade? I am going not let me wife see the cc statments it's going to bad this month .

Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mad A
When all is done, let me know how the water/meth kit goes, as I have been eying that for about a year, lol. It would be awesome if you could get all set up and tuned without it, then put it into the equation with a second map. That way you'll know how much it really helped, and also if you're out of juice you can switch maps and still boost!
Thats a real good idea I will make sure to ask them about that.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the Vortech club Do everything right the first time and you will never regret it!

I would highly recommend moving over to either Mobil1 0W-40 or Shell T-Syn 5W-40 motor oil. I am about to get my 2nd used oil analysis on the Mobil1 0W-40, my first analysis came out with glowing results after a track day and about 12 months in the car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Joining the FI club this weekend