Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

the truth about the JWT clutch???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the truth about the JWT clutch???

so last year i picked up my g35 coupe....and after about 9 months and now at 106k miles, my clutch is starting to slip........

so i've started doing a lot of research on what is out there and what ppl are using and recommending, and a lot of drivers seem to like the JWT clutch. doesn't sound like a bad clutch, besides the chatter from the lightened flywheel. some ppl swear by this clutch that there is nothing else better out there. i'm new to the nissan/infinit scene, but i've been around hondas/toyotas for about 12 years now, back in the days when body kits were still cool. i've built many race/drift cars and worked on many of my mom's friends cars so i know what quality parts are...i've never gone cheap, especially when it comes to my own cars.

so i wanted to see who makes this clutch that JWT uses because although they might make some parts, i just had this feeling that they probably don't make their own clutches...so i dug and dug and dug but i found nothing.....ppl just say how good the clutch is but nothing about where it comes from.......well from JWT of course..but since they don't make the clutch then who..??

nothing on their site about who makes their clutch and no info online. so me being the curious person that i am, i started to look at the classifieds forums for people who were selling the JWT clutch, and there is where i might of found the answer to the truth behind the JWT clutch.....and you guys will be surprised and probably dumbfounded. the truth hurts, but what hurts even more is what you think is true, that is not true, that will hurt even more...so here comes the hurt, maybe........

evidence 1: https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...econd-ecu.html

so on this for sale post, the user is selling a "brand new" jim wolf clutch disk. so if you click on the picture of the disk, upon closer inspection around where the input shaft goes, you will see that it says "NISSAN" on it. if i remember correctly, there is a company called DAIKIN that is a part of exedy, and on the DAIKIN clutch logo are the letters DK...well close by where you see it marked "NISSAN" you will also see the letters "DK".

Evidence 2:
so i looked up "NISSAN OEM CLUTCH" on ebay, and guess what i found????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-...-/161194505925

looks almost like the same exact disk that was posted as the "JIM WOLF CLUTCH DISK" doesn't it??? someone tell me i'm not the only one seeing this.

evidence 3: so then im trying to see if i can find some more pictures of the JWT clutch ppl are posting for sale online....and i come across this for sale ad

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...el-vq35de.html

scroll down to the second picture...if you look on the right side of the pressure plate, you will also see the word "NISSAN'' engraved into the pressure plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it gets even better.........if you scroll down to the 4th picture, somebody please tell me what you see at the bottom side of where the input shaft goes into.......that's right, it says "EXEDY".

so i haven't come to a conclusion yet because it could be that these people got ripped off and they didn't know....or that they may be trying to pass this exedy clutch off as a JWT clutch?? who's got one they haven't installed yet? take some pictures and post them up i want to see.........I'm sure it is a great clutch, for OEM, i've always recommended to use exedy over the autozone brand.

but could it be that all these years that all these people were praising this JWT clutch, all along it was just a OEM nissan clutch, which is made by exedy???? anways hopefully someone will be able to shine some more light on this.......

Last edited by qosmio; 02-13-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Just buy new from an authorized dealer and you wont have to worry.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 AM
authorized dealer or not, what are the chances that two random ppl so far are selling their new JWT clutches that happen to have NISSAN branded on them? I guess some ppl just buy stuff based on reviews or put on their cars without questioning where it comes from as long as it's what everyone is talking about. do some of u guys seriously not look your parts over before you install them or have someone install them??? ???

anyways someone prove me wrong besides telling me to order from an authorized dealer. as of now I'm crossing the JWT clutch off my list....

Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Then cross it off your list and move on, I doubt they care. The JWT could very well be the oem disk with different springs for higher clamping force.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
facepalm

It has been known for years that the JWT is an OEM clutch disc with a higher clamp load pressure plate.

Sorry you wasted your time. Next time if you want technical info...head to my350z.

The following users liked this post:
Jaygotboost (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Cux350z
facepalm

It has been known for years that the JWT is an OEM clutch disc with a higher clamp load pressure plate.

Sorry you wasted your time. Next time if you want technical info...head to my350z.
I searched for few hours but couldn't find anything. it was even asked on here but no one was able to tell the guy who made it. it wasn't a waste of my time. i don't like putting generic parts or replicas on my cars...u get what u paid for. I'm not saying that the JWT clutch is bad, I like researching what I am putting into my car. just passing along the info of what I learned onto other ppl... at least we have the info on g35driver now!!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Then cross it off your list and move on, I doubt they care. The JWT could very well be the oem disk with different springs for higher clamping force.
honestly I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't care. but I'm no sheep so I care. I never said it was a bad clutch though...I just thought some other ppl who care or want more info about the clutch might want to know that we aren't just getting a clutch put together from china or somewhere because that's what I wanted to know before I buy the clutch, not peoples reviews.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Does it fit? Check
Does it work? Check
Does it have good reviews? Check

Does it really matter where it is manufactured? Most everything you own is made in china.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by qosmio
I searched for few hours but couldn't find anything. it was even asked on here but no one was able to tell the guy who made it. it wasn't a waste of my time. i don't like putting generic parts or replicas on my cars...u get what u paid for. I'm not saying that the JWT clutch is bad, I like researching what I am putting into my car. just passing along the info of what I learned onto other ppl... at least we have the info on g35driver now!!
like i said, go to my350z for technical answers on stuff like that. Lots more members there focused on mechanical vs VIP/Stance type mods.

Its really only meant for those wanting a bit more power holding and stock like driveability.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
so let's just all put rotas and varrstoens on our cars then since volks are so overpriced and they fit and work and get good reviews right????? anyways sorry if my findings will prob take away from your biusiness or something....some ppl actually care about the quality of their products.. Like I said, I was just hoping for this info to be useful for someone who is looking into getting a new clutch besides reading pols reviews....

Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Most new members here do put rotas and varrstoens on their cars actually.
Also location of manufacture is not a 100% indication of quality. Personally I am much more interested in reviews than location of origin.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by qosmio
so let's just all put rotas and varrstoens on our cars then since volks are so overpriced and they fit and work and get good reviews right????? anyways sorry if my findings will prob take away from your biusiness or something....some ppl actually care about the quality of their products.. Like I said, I was just hoping for this info to be useful for someone who is looking into getting a new clutch besides reading pols reviews....

So are you saying JWT is crap? It uses an oem component...quality and fitment should be top. Are you wanting JWT to list out their kit components?

I am not advocating rotas or varrdogs...at all.

i dont have a clutch selling business, so my bottom line is not being hurt.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Cux350z
So are you saying JWT is crap? It uses an oem component...quality and fitment should be top. Are you wanting JWT to list out their kit components?

I am not advocating rotas or varrdogs...at all.

i dont have a clutch selling business, so my bottom line is not being hurt.
i didnt say that it is..i only wanted to know who made this JWT clutch....if it's just an oem disk with a oem pressure plate that has more clamping force than it's actually a pretty good clutch... for just a daily driven car, i've always just used exedy clutches. but people are reviewing this JWT clutch and comparing it to exedy and ACT clutches, when in reality the JWT clutch is just a exedy clutch, and even ACT uses exedy parts for some of their clutch kits. the JWT clutch has a pressure plate with more clamping force but even the pressure plate is stamped NISSAN.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Most new members here do put rotas and varrstoens on their cars actually.
Also location of manufacture is not a 100% indication of quality. Personally I am much more interested in reviews than location of origin.
hey ppl can spend their money and do whatever they want to their car. i don't have a million bucks in my bank account so i can't really justify putting a set of $3000 wheels on my car either. i'm also interested in reviews also but coming from a background in building drag/drift cars, i'm more interested in the research and design behind a product. my interest with finding out who makes the JWT clutch was to find out who it was manufactured by. And i agree that good manufactures don't always make quality parts, but i just thought it would be good to know where the clutch comes from and why JWT chose that setup.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
Have you tried calling someone at JWT ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the truth about the JWT clutch???