Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Fan pulley bracket 03 issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan pulley bracket 03 issue

My fan pulley bracket on my automatic sedan broke and caused the fan/fan clutch to slam into radiator. I replaced the radiator and replaced the bracket but when I was buttoning the car up and putting the fan clutch back on I noticed the new bracket has 4 holes to thread bolts into, the one I took off of my car had 4 studs that you put the pulley/fan clutch over and then tighten nuts over the studs.

I assume the fan pulley bracket that i got is for any g35 after 03 since they stopped using fan clutches in 03, but i am unable to find the bracket that I need (4 studs instead of 4 threaded holes) Has anyone else dealt with this issue or does anyone have any advice? please, I have class on tuesday =/

Old 02-11-2017, 09:42 PM

This is not mine, but this is what mine looks like with 4 studs on it, mine had the bearing explode on the inside but you get the idea

This is what i ordered/installed, hopefully the pictures help you guys understand the issue

Old 02-11-2017, 10:25 PM
bump =/

Old 02-12-2017, 02:00 AM
am i supposed to put a stun into it like you do on your wheel if they break?

Old 02-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Just run to home depot and pick up 4 M6 "Crown Bolts" these are the studs that should have come with your pulley.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:45 PM
how do i properly tighten them to the pulley bracket? when doing wheel stuns you just put a nut on it and use an air wrench but these look like i thread them straight in up to the non threaded area, but how would i tighten it after that?

sorry if this is worded poorly but I just felt over my head once i put everything back together and not having the studs in it already, the radiator was a headache since it's automatic.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I guess you would put a nut with a washer on the end of it? I'd also put some blue Loctite on the side that threads into the block.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Ok thanks guys I'll try this tomorrow when I can stop at home depot

Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Premier Member

Blue loctite on the threads that go into the pump. You can use two nuts jammed together to tighten the stud. They just need to be fairly snug, not super he-man tight.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 PM

ordered 5 incase i somehow snap one, will let you guys know if this works. My local home depot didnt even have the part in their system so i was forced to order it

Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 PM
ok well these studs finally came and they fit. I found a replacement fan blade online and ordered it but they emailed me saying that the item i ordered is not in stock so =/

Item i ordered which is out of stock

so now i am unsure wether to buy a universal fan blade and just not bother with the fan clutch at all since a universal fan will only spin at the speed of the pulley. Advice? maybe a fan blade someone else used on a fan clutch model? All of my experience is with hondas and the ones I worked on all had electrical cooling fans

Old 02-24-2017, 10:27 PM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/42912138?...&wl13=&veh=sem

apparently walmart has it, going to order from there i guess

Old 02-28-2017, 09:53 PM
Ok the bolts are not allowing me to tighten the fan clutch securely to the bracket which causes a ton of noise and i assume damage to the new fan pulley bracket.

I removed the whole fan clutch and used 10mm's to secure the pulley to the bracket and started the car, no noise or issue so its 100% related to the fan clutch or how it is secured to the bracket.

Edit: Attached the fan clutch using 2 10mm's which secures the pulley/fan clutch to the bracket perfectly and there is still a noise, less of one but it's still there. I think the fan clutch may be bad. There should be no play in the fan clutch correct? i shouldnt be able to move it from side to side or up and down correct?

Last edited by Movementx; 02-28-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: New information
Old 03-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Movementx
Ok the bolts are not allowing me to tighten the fan clutch securely to the bracket which causes a ton of noise and i assume damage to the new fan pulley bracket.

I removed the whole fan clutch and used 10mm's to secure the pulley to the bracket and started the car, no noise or issue so its 100% related to the fan clutch or how it is secured to the bracket.

Edit: Attached the fan clutch using 2 10mm's which secures the pulley/fan clutch to the bracket perfectly and there is still a noise, less of one but it's still there. I think the fan clutch may be bad. There should be no play in the fan clutch correct? i shouldnt be able to move it from side to side or up and down correct?
If the crown bolts were bottoming out or somehow not letting you tighten down the pulley, then STOP, something is wrong. Don't start the car with loose stuff bolted up.

The fan clutch shouldn't wobble or have play and you should be able to spin it with the engine off. It may have been damaged when it hit your radiator.

It looks like the Home Depot studs have a really thick shoulder, or flat part in the middle, causing the pulley to not seat flat. I went ahead and looked it up for you, and the OEM part number is 08226-61610 and cost a little over a buck each. Might even be in stock at your local Nissan dealership.

Available here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/oe-nissan/0822661610
and here: https://conceptzperformance.com/niss...610_p_6780.php

If tracking down the proper bolts is a pain, try just using 4 bolts to secure the fan clutch and pulley.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Thank you for taking the time. I ordered a new fan clutch because it has a lot of play and i believe that is what was causing the majority of noise when i tested it.

When i secured everything to the new bracket using just 10mm bolts about 40% of the noise was gone so it clearly was not seating properly with the studs i had ordered.

I think i will attatch the new fan clutch with 10mm's and test once it arrives, then decide if i need to order the studs you linked or if a 10mm will do. Thank you for taking the time to research for me and reply, it means a lot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.