Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

TechnoSquares ECU in the works for the SEDAN....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TechnoSquares ECU in the works for the SEDAN....

Hey guys

Just wanted to tell everyone that I went to TechnoSquares today and gave them my ECU so that they can finally start work on our (that is, Sedan owners') ECU upgrades.

The ECu will be back from Japan in 1.5-2 weeks, at which point they are going to do a coupe-like programming of my CPU with all known parameters for the sedan adjusted. I am going to go down there then and test drive the first ECU upgrade. They will then do the final modifications which, as they put it, "will not take very long, a month and a half if not sooner". I guess a lot has already been learned about the ECU memory maps from their work on the coupe's ECU.

Also, one interesting thing. I have not read the main ECU post very carefully, so this may have been previusly stated. But here it is: TechnoSquares WILL BE making custom versions of the ECU memory, so that our cars can take advantage of things like intakes, plenum upgrades, exhaust, etc. That is my understanding as per what Danny at TechnoSquares told me today. To be perfectly exact though, he said that they are oredering the Crawford plenum and will be possibly writing a program to enrich the mixture as the Crawford plenum does deliver more air to the jugs than the OEM one.

So here it is... I hope this makes all of us sedan guys happy.

Gurgen

Will report on any developments as soon as they come.

2003.0 G35 5AT Sedan
Sport/Winter/Aero
<font color=red>Injen CAI</font color=red>
Eibach Pro Kit
Clear side markers
UR Racing Pulleys
Cusco Strut Tower Bar (soon)
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 08/12/03 02:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Re: TechnoSquares ECU in the works for the SEDAN....

Cool. I am very interested in the dyno numbers before and after. Keep us posted.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:54 PM

dannys cool
did you get to meet tadashi the programmer
hes hilarious

-moooooo

Old 08-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod

Cool man! I was thinking about giving them my ECU too but i couldn't do it until September! I guess you beat me to the punch. Oh well. I was also sketchy about leaving them my ECU since each car is specified to their own ECU.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:25 AM

Hey guys

Yes I did meet Danny, he IS cool.

I do have the preproduction loaner. However, the gas is being consumed at an alarming rate. The car does not seem faster/slower, but I am getting about 150 mi per 18 gallons of fuel filled. I hope this doesn't foul the plugs. I am gonna get the spark plugs as soon as I get the new ECU in. I am holding off on all upgrades as we want the car to be as stock as possible. damn, can't wait to put the crawford in with the racing pulleys.

Gurgen

2003.0 G35 5AT Sedan
Sport/Winter/Aero
Eibach Pro Kit
Clear side markers
UR Racing Pulleys - set of 3
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

Old 08-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Re: TechnoSquares ECU in the works for the SEDAN..

Hey gurgenpb, what did you mean by "preproduction loaner"?

Did they "loan" you an ECU with a matching set of keys in order to be able to continue to drive while your ECU is being hacked?

Now if Technosquare would "sell" us an ECU/key set while they reprogrammed our ECU and then "buy" the loaner back, I'd be all over this ECU re-programming.

Maybe it's just me but I can't see putting my G on blocks for an indeterminate number of days (and renting a POS for those same number of days).

This is especially true for a re-programmed ECU for which we haven't any "real world" info as yet. A couple of postage stamp sized dyno charts (350z) on an unfamiliar dyno doesn't tell us anything.

The chart for the G35 is larger but still uninformative. Which color is which ECU? What gear was the run in, 5th? Manual or AT? What RPMs? What AF mix? What was the HP & FT/LBs? Most of us here to the East of the Pacific don't relate to KiloWatts as a measure of power. And what is PS anyway?

Hey Cheston, are you lurking? Can you get Technosquare to answer these questions and translate they Bosch dyno charts into DynoJet oriented data? And while you're at it, remind them that other companies have come up with solutions to reprogram unreplacable ECU chips without "throwing out the baby with the bath water" (I.E. not giving away a hackable program). A simple "flash" module that backs up the current ECU program, modfies that program on the ECU but which won't reprogram another ECU until the original program is restored back to the original ECU. That's what a company called HyperTech did for the '94 - '96 ImpalaSS ECUs. Now their "flash" module would let us alter the autotranny's shift firmness, program the rear tire diameter to correct the speedo, indicate whether or not we had the 180f thermostat, change the primary and secondary "fan on" temperatures in addition to selecting "performance" mapping or "stock" mapping of fuel/air/ignition tables. All for $295. They charged just a little more for the '96 model for that's when the ImpalaSS switched to ODB-II (or was it ODB-I).

Old 08-15-2003, 01:24 PM

there was no loaner for me, lucky

i dont know about the automatics but i know my manual has benefitted.
where did you see dynos id love a link?
there are reasons why your ideas wont work but i cant explain them well. its best to email technosqaure about it.

-moooooo

Old 08-15-2003, 01:32 PM

I feel your skepticism. What do the Z guys think about the Techno^2 ecu upgrade..will have to research after I move. I think if Infiniti offers an ECU upgrade the techno guys will be giving them away. Who do you trust the dealer (if they ever offer the dam thing) or trial and error philosophy where the thing will prob only work for one setup and if you change it you'll be buying another one. The info coming from these guys seems sketchy at best..but again the 350Z guys feedback will tell all and more. I want to upgrade but for 600 bucks i'll reset my ecu more often and wait for Infiniti which will prob be more but under warrany. Who will service your ecu if Techno blows your car up..they wont and neither will the dealer - If I lived next door to them I might think again..but in east coast if something goes wrong - you'll be mailing out the ECU to CA and driving a geo speck until they figure it out.

Old 08-15-2003, 03:13 PM

There is no way of selling blank ECUs due to the fact that your stock ECU has an immobilizer key code specific to your Key and Car.. in order to have loaner ECUs out, Technos has to go and phyiscally remove the immobilizer code from the ECU and send it out to the customer.. they only do this for special occasions...

the color of the ECU is black. its the 'bigger' of the black boxes inside the passenger side flooring.. the gearing for dynos are run for MTs in 5th gear, or ATs in 3rd (or 4th, need to double check).. the Bosch dyno is quite difficult to read, its basically the lines underneath the axis, you add to the top of the graph at its highest point, then multiplied by two... but its very confusing.. they will have a dyno jet graph soon.
PS is a unit similar to HP.. the conversion is almost 1:1 or 1.1 to 1..

the Hypertech units and /or the 1 time flash units that BMWs have is a very good idea, but i'm not quite sure of Techno's main business goal is to produce one of those units.. it takes a long time to getsomething like that going, and they're more concentrated on providing a tuned ECU now and work on something like that in the future., the Auto Tranny's shift points is a completely different ECU in the fact that the tranny has its own computer.. but, the ECU will in fact xtend the rpm limit and change the throttle body numbers so that you gett better acceleration. the ECU does ALOT more than just A/F and timing... it controlls the ENTIRE car, and piggy back units such as the ones you are suggesting, i believe can not accurately provide the amount of tuning you are suggesting.... also it is much easier to tune a chevy than it is with an Infiniti/Nissan ECU.. chevy/ford tend to have their variables in a single file (i think its an array structure very staright forward), which is very easy to 'get to' when looking at the core programming.. Nissan like to imbed the A/F and timing codes throughout the entire ECU program, hence it took Technos over 4 monthes searching and fine tuning the 350Z program...
i understand the 'urge' for a simple ecu update/flash programmer, but this is currently what Technos has. They've been in the ECU business for a LOOooong time, and i'm sure those who get the ECU program from them will understand what it takes to do what they do... they have awesome customer support to follow their programs, and i hope people will not take my word for it, and try it for them selves... if you're not satisfied, they have a money back clause.. just have to ask for it...

--Cheston

Old 08-15-2003, 03:35 PM

G35 Page (the large dyno image is accessable):

http://www.technosquareinc.com/g35.htm

350Z Page (none of the large dyno images are accessable):

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350z.htm

And for those of us running Netscape 7.x, IE6.x and/or Opera 7.x who can't open the large images of the dyno charts.

DynoJet 350z "track" run:
http://www.technosquareinc.com/image...ges/350ECU.jpg

Bosch run:
http://www.technosquareinc.com/image...s/350Bosch.JPG

DynoJet 350z "track" run with custom air filter:
http://www.technosquareinc.com/image...0ECUFIlter.jpg

Old 08-15-2003, 04:03 PM

that g35 dyno is my car
hearing my car on the dyno is a scary thing

-moooooo

Old 08-15-2003, 09:44 PM

Hey guys

Just want to explain a few things... THey had a preproduction ECU and did not simply swap it out. Cheston in his post above hit it right on the nose with the expanation...almost perfectly. Danny desoldered the Immobilizer chip, read the code program off it into a computer, and then flashed that code onto the immobilizer chip of the loaner computer. There it is... Everything worked perfectly. I fortunately get to drive my car, albeit burning a whole tank of gas for about 190-200 miles. I am sure my spark plugs are fouled. What was the recommendation of the spark plugs? iridium? What brand?

Gurgen

2003.0 G35 5AT Sedan
Sport/Winter/Aero
Eibach Pro Kit
Clear side markers
UR Racing Pulleys - set of 3
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

Old 08-16-2003, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, i just dropped of my ECU at technosquare in torrance, CA. i have a 6MT Sedan...so im getting mine for free too. woohoo. saving 600 bucks baby. but i didnt get a loaner... but then again, i dont wanna burn my spark plugs, etc, etc. only have about 3200 miles on my baby. so yea, should have my ECU back in 2 weeks. ill give a full report of any increases. oh yea, btw, im running a K&N FAI (also free) and 6 wire grounding kit.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:36 AM

I bet the dealer upgrade (GDMF WHERE IS IT) wont foul up your ignition. Sorry so skeptical...nicel ookinig dyno's though - looks like up to 14 hp diff at some points.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TechnoSquares ECU in the works for the SEDAN....