The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Worth Buying a G35 Again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Worth Buying a G35 Again?

The last one is long gone. Never got close to fixing the car the way I wanted and frankly it was because I was always wanting to change things up. With the cost being so low for a used one now (I've seen people sell for under 5k) would it be worth even buying it knowing all the maintenance that will be needed? I'm talking mileage in upwards of 200k.

I recall at around 140k, I was needing to replace all of my suspension bushings since a good fraction of them were shot, of course there was premature wear. It's expected when you're driving slammed for a few years and running -6 camber in the front let alone.

But I can't deny the love I have for the car, the sound of the exhaust, how sweet it can look fixed up and not rice. AMG W210 rear on a civic just won't pass, but on a G, heck, it flows (at least it does with the my shotty Photoshop. It'll eventually be a project car, always wanted a V8 or go twins, but it's looking like a money pit again already.

Modding aside, what's your thoughts on buying a high mileage G, and not necessarily as a primary car, maybe for a little and then it'll be the "beater".

Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Find a high mileage one with good maintenance history as you should be good to go..

Old 05-07-2014, 09:09 PM
That's the tough part. All these kids have G's since they're not as expensive and the sh*t they're doing, like this one guy on FB posted his coupe in the sand on the beach getting stuck. Even Honda guys don't do that. They're just broke, not stupid.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Stimulation:
Frankieg35 (05-07-2014), Lartytiejdke3 (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
That was good lol
Got a good laugh outta that

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Even if you found a high mileage car for a good price, are you going to leave it the hell alone? You know yourself better than anyone. What ever car you end up getting it might end up tricked out like this....... can you afford it?

Name:  IMG_5399.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  44.0 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by dukehotty:
Hotdawwgman (05-31-2014), The Stimulation (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Wait, I remember reading some threads on here a couple years ago (before I was a member). Aren't you the dude who had the stripper pole in his sedan?

The following users liked this post:
dukehotty (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Originally Posted by The Stimulation
That's the tough part. All these kids have G's since they're not as expensive and the sh*t they're doing, like this one guy on FB posted his coupe in the sand on the beach getting stuck. Even Honda guys don't do that. They're just broke, not stupid.
Yeah it makes me want a new car.. I've noticed more younger kids rocking g35's in my area.. I was an OG in my area when I got my G.. I lowered it and put wheels on it, people would stop and ask me about my car like it was an exotic or sumtin.. Now the kids are rockin plastidipped crap..

Old 05-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Wait, I remember reading some threads on here a couple years ago (before I was a member). Aren't you the dude who had the stripper pole in his sedan?
I knew this name from somewhere!!!!!

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...279&styleid=51

The Stimulation (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 01:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am one of those "kids" in the sense that I am finally making enough money to buy a newer car, and they're in my price range. However, I believe in simplicity. As soon as I got home I stripped all the plasti dip off and did every maintenance possible to it. Other than a few minor projects, I'm glad I have this car. But yes, so many people ruin them with how shitty they treat them. Treating them like 240s.

The Stimulation (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I say you get a Black Coupe. When you go through parts, either Dale or I will reap the benefits. Be creative this time. No stripper pole. Remove the rear seats and put in a little mud wrestling pool.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by dukehotty
Even if you found a high mileage car for a good price, are you going to leave it the hell alone? You know yourself better than anyone. What ever car you end up getting it might end up tricked out like this....... can you afford it?
If I got a G, I'm definitely modding it, hopefully at a moderate rate over time, but it's gonna be a money pit, still a project I've always wanted to complete. I probably will mod my next car but not right away. I'd keep it simple and if I do go crazy again, I'll leave the work for someone else, they can take the headache. Right now it's not in my best interest to get something new, frankly my 22 year old Camry can pull out another 4 more years if I need I think. Who knows, maybe the G will be a project for my retirement era lol.

Originally Posted by dukehotty
I say you get a Black Coupe. When you go through parts, either Dale or I will reap the benefits. Be creative this time. No stripper pole. Remove the rear seats and put in a little mud wrestling pool.
Haha. No pole, and body work over trying to make sh*t fit. Drop top 35 coupe? Orrrr, drop top sedan. I saw a pic of a Q45 online converted into a convertible, looked sweet.

Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
The stripper pole and the furry walls, yup.

Originally Posted by Frankieg35
Yeah it makes me want a new car.. I've noticed more younger kids rocking g35's in my area.. I was an OG in my area when I got my G.. I lowered it and put wheels on it, people would stop and ask me about my car like it was an exotic or sumtin.. Now the kids are rockin plastidipped crap..
I know right? I see so many G's around now (as if there weren't quite a bit in LA). I always hear the exhaust too and I look around, such a habit. I wonder if our G is like a Godfather of sorts to some newer people with the crazy camber and stripper pole lol.

Originally Posted by Heytheremr2
I am one of those "kids" in the sense that I am finally making enough money to buy a newer car, and they're in my price range. However, I believe in simplicity. As soon as I got home I stripped all the plasti dip off and did every maintenance possible to it. Other than a few minor projects, I'm glad I have this car. But yes, so many people ruin them with how shitty they treat them. Treating them like 240s.
Na you're not one of those kids. I don't mind plastidip, as long as it's not the entire car and then they say "look guys I changed the color!" Majority of us started from little mods. I for one bought some cheap *** wheels at first, had a Tein badge, but I got out of it. You can see for yourself in my transformation thread. For me it was having a project. Some mods I've seen are just so dis-tasteful, like it's a mod just to mod.

I'm nobody to talk though, if someone likes it and they can tough out all the criticism, I can't say much to that. The camber thing is something a lot of people got on me for, but in the end it caught their eye and they spent a good amount of time talking negatively about it, which means they gave more f*cks than me. Some eventually grew to like it. Some digged it from the beginning. I appreciate all that complimented but have nothing against those that didn't. I still didn't have it down as I wanted, but my vision was money haha.

My point though, leave the Honda type of mods for Hondas, but have fun with the G. It makes a difference to pay a little more and you'll get a lot more. Except exhaust, I'm a Sebring ***** and surprised not as many people went for it. Sounds so nice in person, just isn't bolt on but for under $200 you get a great sounding muffler that looks good, sounds good, and that would include all the cutting and welding to turn it into a bolt on.

Now that I think of it, I should have looked into pairing with the owner of Labree Motorsports and see if he was interested in making a full exhaust for the G sedan with the option of 3" piping. Oh man, woulda been cheaper than any other full set up. Why couldn't I think of this before? /rant

Last edited by The Stimulation; 05-08-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive got a G35 Coupe that is not too expensive... but in NY

Old 05-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by The Stimulation

Having grown up with the Fox body mustang phase in the 90's, this is what I saw as well.

When the cars were new, guys would buy them and install quality parts that they spent a good chunk of change on. As the cars got cheaper and cheaper and approached beater status, you would start getting kids who would modify them with cheap ebay parts, do crappy installs and other modifications that are just plain wrong. The cars get passed around to 5-6-7 owners, flogged to hell and just worn out and ready for the junkyard. Eventually, they move on to other cars.

Having been a part of the G35 scene since these were $40K cars, i've seen the same thing. As the cars got cheaper, i've seen some questionable things done with them.

Has nothing to do with the car, or type of people buying them...just how it is.

With that said, if you look around, i bet you can find some 1-2 owner cars still out there that have been maintained well. These cars aren't that old. Mine is approaching 150K and still runs and drives like the day I bought it.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 05-08-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Solo118
Ive got a G35 Coupe that is not too expensive... but in NY
My budget is like 2k right now. I'd fly there and buy it for that price

But right now I'm remodeling my place, a different kind of modding. I think a stripper pole is much more suitable in this environment haha.

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Having grown up with the Fox body mustang phase in the 90's, this is what I saw as well.

When the cars were new, guys would buy them and install quality parts that they spent a good chunk of change on. As the cars got cheaper and cheaper and approached beater status, you would start getting kids who would modify them with cheap ebay parts, do crappy installs and other modifications that are just plain wrong. The cars get passed around to 5-6-7 owners, flogged to hell and just worn out and ready for the junkyard. Eventually, they move on to other cars.

Having been a part of the G35 scene since these were $40K cars, i've seen the same thing. As the cars got cheaper, i've seen some questionable things done with them.

Has nothing to do with the car, or type of people buying them...just how it is.
So true. My buddy has a 94 'Stang GT vert. He's pissed he has to fix all the stupid crap some guy did before him, like use Christmas lights for wiring. Not sure if it was for audio wires or something else but it came from under the into, through the firewall and into the cabin lol.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remeber back in 07 i didnt see that many people with G35 in the Mid City area of L.A, now I see them all over the place:/.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worth Buying a G35 Again?