G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fiberglass or Poly sides?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts
Fiberglass or Poly sides?

So im in the market for impul sides but i dont feel the need for poly sides.
I got a Nismo V3 which im trying to switch up to a Poly Inven front and upgrade the sides and add rear chargespeed in the future. I just dont feel the need for all the weight and the chance of sagging. hows fitment on the sides in fiberglass, whos the best vendor for fitment and trust.
Anyone have nismo front w impul sides and chargespeed rear in that fashion. Poly front+fg sides and fg rear im very careful of my driving and i really dont like the feel of the poly front even tho people sware by it. Thanx i need some advice, opinions and pics if possible i looked on the search but dont see much about it.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I honestly only think its completely nessesary for the front to be poly only because what's the chances of any other piece being scraped on a regular basis? The front takes alot of abuse no matter how careful you drive unless you live in a completely flat area. So I say fiberglass sides would be just fine although I have no expirience with G body parts but good luck bro, wherever you get it from hope the fitment is good

Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Always choose polyurethane over fiberglass, the survival rate is much higher along with the fitment being way better...
Gary

Old 11-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Always choose polyurethane over fiberglass, the survival rate is much higher along with the fitment being way better...
Gary
yea but isnt modifying fiberglass much easier i dont care how strong it is i just want good fitment. i mean no ones using fiberglass parts right now? can someone chime in using impul fg sides. let me know whos got the best fitting sides. my nismo fronts in poly and i got it for 300 shipped i just think 390 is a lot for sides in poly. ionics got them for 260 shipped thats a great deal and the fitment looks pretty good anyone get those in fg from ionic before?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
Id advise poly > glass for sideskirts anyday. The money u spend on poly sides is well worth it. Great fit & little to no modification

Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Gary

second this as well..

Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
So every one swares by poly then whos the best one to get impul sides from and i do eventually wanna get inven front but i got a nusmo v3 u think they would look ok with that right now im getting iss forged rx-10s in 20's next week so i think it would be pretty sick anyone with a combo like that

Old 11-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
I suggest fiberglas since its an easy repair compared to poly.
Ive ran FG impul sides since i started modding and didnt have any poblems with it.
I scraped on bumps, etc and its still running strong

Regarding vendors check out BausAuto. I think thats their name now

Goodluck

Old 11-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dranom
I suggest fiberglas since its an easy repair compared to poly.
Ive ran FG impul sides since i started modding and didnt have any poblems with it.
I scraped on bumps, etc and its still running strong

Regarding vendors check out BausAuto. I think thats their name now

Goodluck
I cant find anything on that name what about the vendors on g35driver anyone get the impul fg sides from ionic they swear by there product for great fitment thats what the used for there carbon fiber molds in there cf impuls? Someones gotta chime in here i mean i know everyones trying to off there expensive poly products but why would u give fg as an option if ur not comfortable about fitment and quality? Strafe, carbodykits do u guys stand by ur products

Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally..... I'd got with Poly over FB anyday of the week. I little more expensive but well worth the piece of mind bro. As far as vendors, I'd go with Dustin from Strafe. He'll match anyone's price and is a standup dude. Jose from Iconic is also another good one but I don't know if he carrys Poly Impul sides. Arch industries (if they're still selling to the public) is another quality vendor.

Good luck!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by messinax
Personally..... I'd got with Poly over FB anyday of the week. I little more expensive but well worth the piece of mind bro. As far as vendors, I'd go with Dustin from Strafe. He'll match anyone's price and is a standup dude. Jose from Iconic is also another good one but I don't know if he carrys Poly Impul sides. Arch industries (if they're still selling to the public) is another quality vendor.

Good luck!
Honestly nothing really has helped me here im looking for pics and fitments on fg impul sides whos rocking them send some pics and where u got them from please guys i know theres peeps out there that can help me i know the vendors here have proof and can help On fitment im trying to stay away from poly as tho i dont feel i need them but if i get poly sides and they fit like sh$t i wont buy anything from that vendor so i have like 5 things i want to buy but just looking for a good honest vender that can give me proof of great products.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by serges
I cant find anything on that name what about the vendors on g35driver anyone get the impul fg sides from ionic they swear by there product for great fitment thats what the used for there carbon fiber molds in there cf impuls? Someones gotta chime in here i mean i know everyones trying to off there expensive poly products but why would u give fg as an option if ur not comfortable about fitment and quality? Strafe, carbodykits do u guys stand by ur products
We give it as an option because it is available. Its cheaper material compared to poly. Cheaper isnt always the best. However, you cant really go wrong with both. I try to suggest the poly sides for 'impul style' because the tracki record w:-) that glass ones arent the best. My personal preference is glass all day long. Id only run glass on my g. However, they are pros and cons to both as you know. I offer both to cater to those who might not know what they want.

Im always here to amswer anyones questions. If you have anymore feel free to pm me. Ive fitted both the glass & poly ones myself. I can help you answer any ? You might have.

We do stand by all of our products...however each customer much know these are NOT o.e. parts. They are not going to fit o.e. out of the box, period. Each and every aftermarket part WILL REQUIRE adjustment/prep work to fit properly onto the car.(poly will fit better than the glass counter parts) These parts will bolt up to the car out of the box, but if your looking for o.e. fitment you will need to spend more to make em fit. You might spend 80-100$ more for poly but you will save yourself 200-300 in extra prep work to fit the glass counter part. Again, to each his own but we all sell the same POLY parts. Whether you get it from cbk, arch, Strafe the poly comes from same manufacturer. Fiberglass parts are a different stort. We try to give you our 100% honest opinion on these parts before purchase.(whether good or bad)

Again, pm me if you have any other ?'s

-Dustin

Old 11-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
So im in the market for impul sides but i dont feel the need for poly sides.
I got a Nismo V3 which im trying to switch up to a Poly Inven front and upgrade the sides and add rear chargespeed in the future. I just dont feel the need for all the weight and the chance of sagging. hows fitment on the sides in fiberglass, whos the best vendor for fitment and trust.
Anyone have nismo front w impul sides and chargespeed rear in that fashion. Poly front+fg sides and fg rear im very careful of my driving and i really dont like the feel of the poly front even tho people sware by it. Thanx i need some advice, opinions and pics if possible i looked on the search but dont see much about it.
It will depend on personal preference. Some people will only buy polyurethane, and some will only buy fiberglass. Poeple who buy polyurethane buy it because of it's ability to take abuse, and not break. The people that I have seen that like fiberglass is usually because it's easy to repair and less expensive. The way that I see it, if you scrape your side skirt on the side, you will have to repair it, be it poly or fiberglass, and the cost will be just the same. If you break one or the other, glass will be cheaper to fix.

For the front you will always want to go with something that has some flex to it. It just makes sense, that's the reason why we offer our front lips in Ionicflex. For the sides it really doesn't matter, that's why we don't bother to manufacture them in Ionicflex.

The quality and fitment of a fiberglass part will depend on several factors. First and most importantly, the quality of the molds. If the molds are made using a defective prototype, or low quality materials, you will end up with the same defects of the original part or bad fitting parts. If a manufacturer uses low quality materials for the molds you will have problems that translate into fitment and shape discrepancies due to the contraction "shrinkage" that low quality materials suffer from.

The second factor is how the actual production parts are made. Hand lamination and high quality resins are key to a good quality and propper fitting part. That's the reason why we use our own formulation for our fiberglass parts, that offer less than .01% contraction rate. Lastly it's also just as important how well the parts are trimmed after thay are pulled from the mold, parts that are over/under trimmed will also cause fitment issues, require extra sanding or extra filling.

The cost to paint and install a quality fiberglass part is usually the same or even less than a polyurethane part. The paint shop that we deal with will charge us less to paint our FG parts than polyurethane parts, since they don't require an adhesion additive or flex agent in the paint.

I'll search and see if I can find some pics of the FG sides when we test fitted them our my G35, if I can't find them I'll post some pics of our CF sides, the fitment will be the same since they are both molded out from the same set of molds. (as you pointed out).

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
yea but isnt modifying fiberglass much easier i dont care how strong it is i just want good fitment. i mean no ones using fiberglass parts right now? can someone chime in using impul fg sides. let me know whos got the best fitting sides. my nismo fronts in poly and i got it for 300 shipped i just think 390 is a lot for sides in poly. ionics got them for 260 shipped thats a great deal and the fitment looks pretty good anyone get those in fg from ionic before?
The parts come out of the same mold if they're f/g or poly. My Impul sides didn't need any modifications when I had them painted and installed. It's far better to have parts on your G that will take the abuse of daily driving. Had I not chosen to use polyurethane parts they would have been laying on the freeway long ago. It's just logical to use what works best and will last...
Gary

Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
After having just gone through my experimentation year with my G which included body parts I can tell you my advice is 100% poly front. Sides as mentioned here is not such a big deal .. but its just if you have the extra $ for the skirts. No matter what company you get your glass parts from it will not be a perfect fit! There will be the need to adjust.. The front bumper is always the biggest pain. The sides in fiber will not fit like the factory or poly options. You will have to make additional drill points in your door jams to make them fit and it will not look that great where it mounts at.

I bought a fiberglass front and it came green. After I painted it OB and drove around a little bit it started chipping and by the end of the summer looked like a speckled alien. Keep in mind you can get fiber in a number of colors so that is important to think about cuz it will chip. I am swapping my front out with a poly one this spring.

Like I said fiber needs adjustment after the purchase to make it fit so if you spend more for a poly front on the front end you wont have the extra costs on the back end.

Good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass or Poly sides?