G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Shifting From Neutral To Drive While Holding Gas Pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting From Neutral To Drive While Holding Gas Pedal

I'm entirely uneducated in the subject, I know this isn't good but I was driving automatic and I thought I was in sport mode so I pushed the stick up into neutral still holding the gas the car revved but you know it wasn't like accelerating so I panicked and I put it back into drive while holding the gas pedal and it kicked oddly is there some explanation behind this or did I really just **** up. I'm scared that I ****ed the transmission up really badly. Please no sarcastic answers I searched and it seems like no one has done this dumb **** before.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
its probably fine if you only did it once. the reason it "kicked" is because it was getting no power, and suddenly the engine was at redline. if it doesn't do anything weird when you drive it around don't worry about it.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
How much did it rev? next time when this happens, just let the revs go down / idle levels while you are coasting then shift into D.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Tranny kicking oddly would be normal if you shifted back into gear under high RPM's at full throttle.

If you drive around and have no tranny slippage, it goes through all forward gears and reverse ok without making a clunking sounds you are probably ok.

I accidentally hit mine in to neutral under moderate acceleration a couple of days ago, (darn diet coke habit got me) but let off the accelerator before popping it back into drive. No issues.

Hopefully your car is ok, if you are ever in that situation again just let off the gas for a couple of seconds.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
Don't worry about it. Your trans is fine. You didn't do any damage

Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
^this doing something like that one time won't do anything. just don't make a habit of **** like that.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 AM
Yeah I've only did it once, and to make things more clear I was driving auto thinking I was in sport mode and I pushed the stuck up while holding gas and it reved to about 4 - 5 closer to 4 maybe then I panicked because there was a car behind me so without thinking I put it back into drive then it kicked and jumped a little. I won't make this a habit but I wanted a few opinions you know? You can learn from your mistakes and well educated people on the forums. Thanks guys!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:24 AM
I've done that a few time before I went SC. And my stupid ex thought I was in sport and through my car in R. What passenger touches the stick? Well when I did the transgo kit to my car I had the guy inspect my transmission and he said everything looked perfect no signs of any damage. D to N back to D, you will be fine. Don't go past N

Old 12-30-2014, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
I've done that a few time before I went SC. And my stupid ex thought I was in sport and through my car in R. What passenger touches the stick? Well when I did the transgo kit to my car I had the guy inspect my transmission and he said everything looked perfect no signs of any damage. D to N back to D, you will be fine. Don't go past N
So you went into reverse at speed!

Did you hear a loud clacking noise? (Kind of a white but Louder)

The auto transmission is supposed to have a fail safe in it to click out of gear just in case you do bump it (otherwise the drive wheels lock!)

Old 12-30-2014, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by privatecorye
Yeah I've only did it once, and to make things more clear I was driving auto thinking I was in sport mode and I pushed the stuck up while holding gas and it reved to about 4 - 5 closer to 4 maybe then I panicked because there was a car behind me so without thinking I put it back into drive then it kicked and jumped a little. I won't make this a habit but I wanted a few opinions you know? You can learn from your mistakes and well educated people on the forums. Thanks guys!
"Well Educated" is a bit of a stretch.

The following users liked this post:
thegreatkwijibo (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
So you went into reverse at speed!

Did you hear a loud clacking noise? (Kind of a white but Louder)

The auto transmission is supposed to have a fail safe in it to click out of gear just in case you do bump it (otherwise the drive wheels lock!)
I don't remember. All I do remember is it was on a Sunday going to church at about 35mph and I just pulled over. It happen when I first got the car back in 08

Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
"Well Educated" is a bit of a stretch.
Some people no more than others some are more educated in the topic because they've experienced and troubleshooter it already before.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
I'm glad because I was terrified!