andrewvk build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
andrewvk build thread

So i need to do this because i love keeping records. its nearly my favorite thing to do.

some some small history. ive been around nissan all my life. mostly nissan trucks, currently have an 05 frontier, went through a few 240sx builds, ls1, rb, sr, ect. i got tired of working on something covered in rust and impossible to find replacement parts. so i moved on to the g.
its an 2004 coupe manual. 130k- its going to be summer daily and weekend track car. drifting to be exact. right now i dont have any major power plans, just currently want to get under 3000lbs mark.

very excited for this platform. its got a very well rounded engine and transmission. there is a very large list of maintenance I have scheduled for it as well as some upgrades in the near future.

avg gas im netting right around 23-24 mpg which is way better than the truck and why its the new dd.

little update for it.
when i got it the trunk wouldnt pop, did a little research and found it was a common problem with the wires on the trunk being too short.
so i got after them.

got little tinker things done today.
swapped out these neat little lights. i was not a fan of the clear and they were both broken

so im also battling clutch issues. the clutch has been upgraded but i do not know what to. the clutch is hard yet mushy. ongoing battle.

this swap helped a lot with firmness but its still very hard to press at this point.
next goes the ztube and the kn drop filter

got the brakes done all around. never changed a set of brembos before. have to say the design is amazing. they made it so you can change the pads with the caliper still bolted on. im guessing for racing, ect. thought i took more pics. hahah oh well.

the pads were practically brand new. unfortunately they were grooved beyond wanting to save. the rotors were all garbage.

front and rears done. everything feels much better.

got some tires in for the front. bumping up in size a little up front at 245-45-18. deciding on wheels id like to go with. the choices are endless...

have yet to be installed since the only heated part of my garage has been taken over to do a super charger on a g37.
but ordered some diff bushings. hopefully will get on soon.

since i wasnt too familiar with the back round the car i went a little overboard i guess. all new fluids.. heres the trans fluid.

at least this is over with. hand cramp city.

gas gauge was more bent than a dance club with 5$ cover and 3$ martinis. this did the trick!

a good cleaning on both gauges and all is well. one thing i noticed however. the second gauge is pointless and i dont like it. there is not a second pickup, or another pump. so the second one is literally pointless. thinking of tapping into the other one and deleting it. but all done.

adding the adjustable clutch.

install ran about an hour or so with another 30 minutes to dial it in. i like it a lot. curious to see how it works out overtime.

thats all for now, i noticed i havent gotten any pictures of the whole car. ill work on that soon. thanks guys happy to be here.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what wasour fuel gauge doing or not doing?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM
my fuel gauge in the cluster was not reading correctly, wouldn't show full when I just filled it and the needle would bounce around all over the fuel gauge. I pulled both sensors and cleaned them and all is well. I just am not a fan of the two sensors. the second one serves no purpose.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Nice to see you can search, you made some nice changes!

The manual transmission fluid change was smart to do as most people never touch it. It ends up being brown.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 PM
i totally wasted 70$ hahahm that fluid was golden coming out of the transmission. but yea most of the info i need has been super easy to find. looking forward to shedding a lot of weight off this boat of a car.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
You have a lot of rust on the undercarriage?? I noticed you have some rust in the engine bay

Old 01-02-2015, 10:08 PM
actually as far as rust goes its localized in just certain spots of the engine bay and the rear wheel wells which will be fixed after this winter.
but the underside was undercoated and is literally spotless.

The following users liked this post:
Frankieg35 (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
I won't say too much because I'm used to seeing this kind of a thing as a "build" thread, but have something interesting to do if you must make a thread.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 PM
well i just like keeping good records and if i help someone with my record keeping along the way then awesome. however, no one is forcing you to read or even comment on it. normally people with something useful to add only, post in my threads.

The following 3 users liked this post by andrewvk:
Drifter2090 (01-05-2015), Frankieg35 (01-03-2015), thegreatkwijibo (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:31 AM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
^ok and i can respect a person willing to take care of their car, and for all I know you prove me wrong and become one of the hottest G's there is, but there was really no need to make a build thread at this point IMO. but like I said man by all means go!

The following users liked this post:
yosip1115 (07-19-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 02:29 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I understand your point.^^^ This isn't really a build thread at the moment so the title is a little misleading but I agree with the respect for a DIY maintenance thread. OP's doing some good work.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good so far, I am planning on doing a transmission fluid change soon.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:21 AM
man its been a while since ive updated this.
since ive been mia, ive gotten the card down just under 3200lbs. still looking at an end goal of 3000 flat.
stance coilovers
fixed buckets
cd009 trans
jwt single mass flywheel
6 puck clutch
long tubes
and custom exhaust.

after this im going to build my rear end.

update of the interior.

subframe i picked up for the rear end build

donor trans, flywheel and clutch. yanked from a buddies 350z

my old heavy *** setup, at this point i already had the exhaust manifolds off.

new flywheel on.

only picture i have of the longtubes by themselves.

ran a tap and die through all the studs and holes on the heads. then put on some anti seize. putting the long tubes on took all of 15 minutes.

longtubes on

clutch and longtubes on.

as of now, i have the cd009 in and fully done, other than fluid. and reconnecting the driveshaft.
i need to button up the front end of the car from the longtube install.as long as i can pick up my mt fluid tomorrow, i should have it back on the road tomorrow night.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Now it is starting to look like a build thread. Good job.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:56 PM
i was able to finish up to the point of waiting on trans fluid. car is back on the ground. im getting some larger tires for the rear tomorrow. and tossing fluid in the trans and taking it for a drive!
engine bay all back in order.

transmission in and exhaust on. although, after this picture i swapped out the y pipe. a little lighter and a more aggressive sound.

extended my primary o2 sensors. the long tubes place the bung at the collector, in the same location as the old rear o2 sensors.
no check engine lights. woooh!

sitting and waiting for fluid and tires, more to come.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: andrewvk build thread