G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Potential new G35 owner! Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential new G35 owner! Questions

Hey everyone... I'm looking into buying a G35 Coupe. I've wanted one for a long time and now may finally be the time... it's time to leave my Explorer Sport behind. I have a couple things to ask though...

There are some pesky cats around that like to **** on my car. It hasn't really been a problem with the Explorer since it's larger and they only do it on the tires. It'll be a different story with the G35. They also like to walk all over my car... I don't have a garage, so I was thinking of some sort of car tent. The problem is, it has to be really small. Can anyone recommend the smallest/best possible tent for the G35 Coupe?

I'm going to take a look at a black on black '06 G35 Coupe 6MT this weekend. Is there anything in particular to look for/ask? I don't have much experience buying cars.

Cheers

Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Buying any used car you need a CARFAX which will tell you if it's been in an accident and how bad. Drive what you're intending to buy and not just around the block, take it for several miles so you get the feel if there's an issue. Next you want to get all the service records possible with questions like was the engine replaced which is possible with a '06 REVUP motor. Look this '06 over closely down each side and at each corner, is everything straight? Open the hood, is it clean or are you the first one to do so since it left Japan in 2005? Without a garage and animals in your neighborhood (more than one kind) a car cover from www.calcarcover.com is your best insurance against those felines. Both my wife and I have been using their car covers for over 30 years just for work...Gary

Old 03-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
A BB gun and quality aiming go a long way . I would go with a California cover.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Haha I did that freshman year when I lived at the dorms, some raccoons, squirrels and cats caused some problems.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Buying any used car you need a CARFAX which will tell you if it's been in an accident and how bad. Drive what you're intending to buy and not just around the block, take it for several miles so you get the feel if there's an issue. Next you want to get all the service records possible with questions like was the engine replaced which is possible with a '06 REVUP motor. Look this '06 over closely down each side and at each corner, is everything straight? Open the hood, is it clean or are you the first one to do so since it left Japan in 2005? Without a garage and animals in your neighborhood (more than one kind) a car cover from www.calcarcover.com is your best insurance against those felines. Both my wife and I have been using their car covers for over 30 years just for work...Gary
Thanks. It's at a dealership and is supposed to come with a CarProof report. Would it be wise to purchase my own though? I'll give Infiniti consumer services a call with the VIN and see what they can tell me.

Are car covers a PITA? It seems like it would be a pretty big hassle putting it on all the time. Cheers

Old 03-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get an OBD II scanner and scan the car. If the scanner tells you that the some of the system is incomplete it means that the owner had deleted any trouble codes, and it will take several drive cycles before they pop up again. The OBD II scan port is under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Don't know how to use a scanner check it out on Youtube.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Id deff get a bb gun. I'm not into killing animals but if they're pissin on my car .....

Anyways check the oil first and see if its low. If it is might be burning oil.... Take it to a mechanic and look for leaks....

Take a really good look at the body. Look at the door gaps ,hood and trunk gaps. Check the gaps on the bumpers and look at the side skirts for anything loose . That will give you a good idea if its been in a accident. Also look under the hood, if the paint under around the engine looks pretty new , thats an indication that its been painted.

If your gonna keep up on performance parts check the rotors and pads. Quality pads and rotors cost around 600 all around .

That will give you an idea on how much you should offer orchew off the asking price or look into another car.

Also look at the top of the radiator for leaks. Last thing ..:. The interior will tell you how well the car was maintained.

Good luck

Old 03-29-2015, 12:38 PM
I was in the area last night and had a quick look at it (it's at a used car dealership.) Exterior is in pretty decent shape. I noticed there is a deep paint chip on the hood. Really deep and it is rust colored. Could this turn into something more serious? How hard would it be to fix?

Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
PITA? No not if you want to take care of what you drive! Weather is your cars worst enemy from the paint to your interior and engine. Folded up in your trunk it doesn't take a minute to remove or install a car cover once you get a system down. Talk to the guys at www.calcarcover.com about the best cover for day/night outdoor use...Gary

Old 03-30-2015, 12:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CaPpedDoG
I was in the area last night and had a quick look at it (it's at a used car dealership.) Exterior is in pretty decent shape. I noticed there is a deep paint chip on the hood. Really deep and it is rust colored. Could this turn into something more serious? How hard would it be to fix?

There are ways to fix a chip but the rust is a problem . If its not totaly removed it will spread and get much worse.

Ask them if they will fix that or get an estimate from nearby shops.