G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Brakes dragging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes dragging

I just completed changing the rear brake pads and rotors on my 2006 G35. I got everything back assembled but before I put the wheels back on I noticed that the pads are contacting the rotors on both side.

Seems like the calliper isn't releasing. I did clean and lubricate all the calliper slide bolts and all the other components. I compressed the brake pads using a c-clamp and an old brake pad and the calliper pistons when back in just fine. Flushed both rear brakes of fluid (which was already quite clean). Is there any way to free a stuck calliper piston or am I looking at needing to replace the calipers?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mbe32
I just completed changing the rear brake pads and rotors on my 2006 G35. I got everything back assembled but before I put the wheels back on I noticed that the pads are contacting the rotors on both side.

Seems like the calliper isn't releasing. I did clean and lubricate all the calliper slide bolts and all the other components. I compressed the brake pads using a c-clamp and an old brake pad and the calliper pistons when back in just fine. Flushed both rear brakes of fluid (which was already quite clean). Is there any way to free a stuck calliper piston or am I looking at needing to replace the calipers?
It is normal for there to be light contact between the pads and the rotors, are you experiencing light contact or heavy drag? Also, did you adjust the parking brake system? Are we talking Brembo or stock brakes?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by wuzz-upp
It is normal for there to be light contact between the pads and the rotors, are you experiencing light contact or heavy drag? Also, did you adjust the parking brake system? Are we talking Brembo or stock brakes?
Stock brakes. They are Akkebono pads and Centric rotors. It appears to be light contact but enough to notice.

I changed the parking brake shoes because they were worn out. I haven't adjust the parking brake yet because it is hard to tell with the pads rubbing

Old 06-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Stock brakes. They are Akkebono pads and Centric rotors. It appears to be light contact but enough to notice.

I changed the parking brake shoes because they were worn out. I haven't adjust the parking brake yet because it is hard to tell with the pads rubbing
You can adjust the parking brake system with the rear calipers removed, Just make sure you don't depress the normal brake system pedal with the calipers removed. Is your vehicle stick or automatic?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:29 PM
You can adjust the parking brake system with the rear calipers removed, Just make sure you don't depress the normal brake system pedal with the calipers removed. Is your vehicle stick or automatic?

Yeah I guess that would work. It is auto.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:35 PM
It's a suggestion, that is the way I did it on my 2003 and it worked perfectly. I temporarily snugged the rotor in place with a couple wheel lug nuts to ensure good alignment. Good luck brother.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Did you inspect the dust boots on your calipers really good? if dust or moisture got into the piston surface it would prevent proper piston movement and release of the brakes.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
You gotta adjust your parking brakes on both sides, that totally would cause your brakes to drag. .

Do the adjustments at the shoes (it's a pain in the @$$), then after a week or two adjust the lever and tighten the cable

Old 07-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Did you inspect the dust boots on your calipers really good? if dust or moisture got into the piston surface it would prevent proper piston movement and release of the brakes.
They looked alright but I will check them again. It seems strange that the calipers would be seized as the pads were worn down evenly on both sides and there was no pulling to one side when braking. Good working the pistons back and forth with the pads removed help to free the piston up?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by tha_ape
You gotta adjust your parking brakes on both sides, that totally would cause your brakes to drag. .

Do the adjustments at the shoes (it's a pain in the @$$), then after a week or two adjust the lever and tighten the cable
Yeah you just have to rotate the star wheel to the right to tighten if I am not mistaken. Hard to know how much drag from the parking brake shoes when the pads are contacting the rotor.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 PM
They looked alright but I will check them again. It seems strange that the calipers would be seized as the pads were worn down evenly on both sides and there was no pulling to one side when braking. Good working the pistons back and forth with the pads removed help to free the piston up?
After I replaced my rear brake pads, I experienced a problem with my right caliper several weeks later. The piston appeared to be sticking, I knew that I would probably have to repair or replace the caliper, but I decided to rotate the piston to see if I could get away without doing the extra work. It worked, I have not had a problem since doing that and it has been almost a year.

For me the adjustment was not that tough, turning the star clockwise or down, expands the brake shoes towards the braking motion.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Okay I extended and rotated the pistons back in a few times so I could hopefully work them free. I put the wheels back on and lightly accelerated with the wheels off the ground. The pads are still dragging and you can visibly hear them as the wheels rotated. Looks like I am in for new calipers.

I can get a new/rebuilt set of Raybestos callipers for around $60 a piece. I don't have any experience with Raybestos but would these be sufficient?

Old 07-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Okay I extended and rotated the pistons back in a few times so I could hopefully work them free. I put the wheels back on and lightly accelerated with the wheels off the ground. The pads are still dragging and you can visibly hear them as the wheels rotated. Looks like I am in for new calipers.

I can get a new/rebuilt set of Raybestos callipers for around $60 a piece. I don't have any experience with Raybestos but would these be sufficient?
I have used that name brand on other cars and don't recall having any problems, it is definitely a call you have to make. FYI, rockauto.com always works for me.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Alright so I changed both rear calipers with the Raybestos replacements but the brakes are still dragging. I double checked all my work and everything looks good. This is becoming a real frustration. When I tried to accelerate to listen to the brakes the VDC kept kicking in. Only way I could spin the wheels was with the VDC off. I guess I could have a bad master cylinder or brake line but I don't want to replace things I don't need to.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
If you unplug the VDC, does it stop?

Not sure how the VDC works, but it could be a bad sensor ir actuator (vdc independently brakes each wheel?).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brakes dragging