G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Stuck Compression Rod Bushing on Stud

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck Compression Rod Bushing on Stud

OK so i'm pretty sure i'm COMPLETELY screwed now.

I was installing a new compression rod and I got the old rod off, but the old bushing got stuck on the stud as i've read has happened on here before.

I tried drilling holes but near the top of the bolt you can see it has COMPLETELY FUSED with the STUD. literally the top the bushing is now become one clunk of metal with the bushing and you can see that from the hole near the top i drilled.

Options? How hard is it to install a new stud?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
The stud is a part of the frame. Replacement is not an option. Spray that **** with pb blaster and leave it over night. Try heat (torch), chisel, whatever. Do not break that stud off tho.

The following users liked this post:
cuzin.danny (07-31-2020)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
The stud is a part of the frame. Replacement is not an option. Spray that **** with pb blaster and leave it over night. Try heat (torch), chisel, whatever. Do not break that stud off tho.
I dono. It's pretty bad.

I'm gonna bring it to a shop close by tomorrow. If they can do it for under 100$ i'll pay, if they can't i'm gonna get some tools and go at it.

My only option if i can't is. I'm gonna cut the f-kin bolt off, drill a hole right throught the old one, and retap it and thread a new bolt through.

i've read nearly every post on the forums about this and i havnt seen one as bad as mine, and PB blaster really didnt do much for the rest of em. they all had to cut through in the
end.

upload gif

Old 08-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if I had to do it is use a air chisel with a good bit if you had access to one. If not I'd try heat and a pipe wrench but that could break the stud.
I would air chisel it off Trying not to damage the stud, clean it emery cloth it smooth and re tap it.

Good luck

Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by knightro g35
if I had to do it is use a air chisel with a good bit if you had access to one. If not I'd try heat and a pipe wrench but that could break the stud.
I would air chisel it off Trying not to damage the stud, clean it emery cloth it smooth and re tap it.

Good luck
i'm gonna try a **** ton of heat tomorrow and let you know how i make out. if i cant make it work with heat, i'm a try a local mechanic, because i don't have air tools

Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 AM
Just be careful. Heat the bushing only don't get the stud cherry red.
If you get it hot try and turn it with a pipe wrench. Watch carefully to make sure stud isn't twisting. Try to work it loose, if you do keep turning it and spray penetrating oil til u get it off.

If that don't work try and get it hot, get a hammer and nice chisel. Start at bottom where you drilled and try to drive straight upwards and split the bushing all the way to the top, then you could just make the split wider and get it off.

Like I said try your best to not break or drive to far into the stud and weaken it.
If you get it off clean it really good with some emery cloth to clean the smooth part and re tap the threads.

Make sure you have a jack stand under the car as well if your going to be under it beating it with a chisel.
Good luck

Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by frankywashere
I dono. It's pretty bad.

I'm gonna bring it to a shop close by tomorrow. If they can do it for under 100$ i'll pay, if they can't i'm gonna get some tools and go at it.

My only option if i can't is. I'm gonna cut the f-kin bolt off, drill a hole right throught the old one, and retap it and thread a new bolt through.

i've read nearly every post on the forums about this and i havnt seen one as bad as mine, and PB blaster really didnt do much for the rest of em. they all had to cut through in the
end.

upload gif
Nah, man, do NOT cut that stud off. It is so dangerous to drive the car after that. Get a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and start cutting all that **** off without touching the stud. Once you get most of it off then go at it with a file or Emery board (or even a sanding wheel on the dremel). Do NOT cut that stud off. This is fixable; you cut that stud off and your car is basically totalled.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Nah, man, do NOT cut that stud off. It is so dangerous to drive the car after that. Get a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and start cutting all that **** off without touching the stud. Once you get most of it off then go at it with a file or Emery board (or even a sanding wheel on the dremel). Do NOT cut that stud off. This is fixable; you cut that stud off and your car is basically totalled.
well i'll give that a go i guess

Old 08-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
That happened to me. I cut reliefs into it with a cut off wheel. Then two seconds with an air chisel I got for $15 and it fell off. You have the right idea drilling into the side. Keep at it.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:34 PM
thanks for the support guys.

I'm going to rent a recipricating saw tomorrow and try and cut up the side.

Unfortunately i don't have air tools, and i gave away my dremel!!! damn it.

I'll try drilling more into the sides some more. I got the rubber off nice and clean.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 PM
thanks for the support guys.

I'm going to rent a recipricating saw tomorrow and try and cut up the side.

Unfortunately i don't have air tools, and i gave away my dremel!!! damn it.

I'll try drilling more into the sides some more. I got the rubber off nice and clean.
Just don't drill into the stud. If you had a hammer and nice chisel I think you could continue to drive upwards all the way through.
This stuff is frustrating but if you just stick with it you will get it, it's not impossible.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 PM
You would be better off with an electric angle grinder than a reciprocating saw unless you like sketchy situations that don't work out. Grind into one side the whole length of the collar and just before you get all of the way through it will be loose enough to get off. Burn the rubber off first but I think you got most of it like you said. GL. Same method works when you round off a nut btw.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
You would be better off with an electric angle grinder than a reciprocating saw unless you like sketchy situations that don't work out. Grind into one side the whole length of the collar and just before you get all of the way through it will be loose enough to get off. Burn the rubber off first but I think you got most of it like you said. GL. Same method works when you round off a nut btw.
thanks so much guys. i'll try the angle grinder tomorrow. is there a certain type of saw or whatever i need to use to cut through the bushing? Also I really didn't think a chisel could cut through that super hard steel that bushing is made out of. You really think a chisel could cut through? My Titainum coated drill bits barely got through when i drilled.

And yes the rubber is CLEAN off now.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:43 AM
thanks so much guys. i'll try the angle grinder tomorrow. is there a certain type of saw or whatever i need to use to cut through the bushing? Also I really didn't think a chisel could cut through that super hard steel that bushing is made out of. You really think a chisel could cut through? My Titainum coated drill bits barely got through when i drilled.

And yes the rubber is CLEAN off now.

They sell a decent one at target for like $40. The thick grinding wheel it comes with will be all you need for this job

Old 08-29-2015, 12:29 AM
Yes a good chisel and hitting it hard enough would. Especially with some relief drill holes. Iwork on semi trucks and heavy equipment for a living, removing **** like this is what I do.
I would rather use a air chisel or die grinder, I just was trying to give you ideas if all you had was bare bones tools.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stuck Compression Rod Bushing on Stud