G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Looking at a 2004 G35 Coupe in a few hours.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 2004 G35 Coupe in a few hours.

Hey guys going to look at 6mt g35 coupe ina few hours Its a 2004 with 76k miles on it and has never seen snow or rain, which in upstate new york is a big deal haha.

What should I look for in particular when looking at and testing this car out? Its a private sale so really wanna give it a good run down.

Guys is asking $9850 for it which is a bit higher than the $7600 blue book value.

I was looking to settle at $8k, what do you guys think?

Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
First things first, don't believe anyone who says "never seen snow or rain"
The chances of that being an actual truth are slim to none
Unless you know the owner personally and know how they treat their cars, take his claim with a grain of salt and realize it may not be totally truthful.

With that being said 8k isn't a terrible price

Old 03-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are a few things which went through my head:
-Normal wear on the tires
-No clunks while driving, especially at lower speeds over uneven surfaces
-Normal clutch feel
-Operation of the windows and locks. I believe that the window will go down a little when opening the door and back up when it shuts (I own a sedan, which has a frame around the window).
-Fuel door. Mine hasn't worked since I've owned the car, but supposedly locking the car will activate a motor/servo to lock the fuel door. Sometimes this will not open back up and cause a little frustration at the pump. It is fixable, but something to watch for.

I remember some talk about certain colors being more difficult to come by as well, but can't rememeber which ones.

Good luck on talking him down. Some people are more difficult than others...

Old 03-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Hey guys! Just got back and the car is beautiful. Everything seemed to work great. It looked, sounded, drove, and the clutch was new feeling just like he said. The undercarriage was virtually rust free besides a bit of surface rust. I asked about it and we looked at it all together and he checked to make sure it was just surface rust as well, and it was. Engine bay was clean for a 2004 car as well.

The tires were brand new on it from the looks of them, a little curb rash on the rims. The guy had about 4 completed beautiful project cars, and a new project waiting to happen, so his story about selling it to free up garage space for the new project lined up.

He was real easy to talk to, looks like he babies his cars, seems like a man who will be willing to work a price out. Going to the bank and insurance in the morning to pull all my numbers together.

Wish me luck!

Old 03-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Congrats man... I'm jealous. My G is a rusty bitch and makes working on the under side very challenging. Hope you pick it up.

And if you do pick it up....

Old 03-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Congrats man... I'm jealous. My G is a rusty bitch and makes working on the under side very challenging. Hope you pick it up.

And if you do pick it up....

There will be so many pics! Should be pulling it all together over the course of this week! The nor'eastern we're getting might put a small delay on it! lol

Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Something seems off here, the $9850 price for only 76k miles on an 04 Brembo coupe no winters sounds pretty low. If you can get him down to $8000 and he accepts I'd be even more suspicious. Although these models were less affected with oil consumption I would investigate this further, the price just seems too low. Make sure to take this car for a pre purchase inspection at an Infiniti dealer that can pull all service records and warranty complaints. That will tell you if any owner has ever complained about oil consumption, how often, for how long and what was done to it. Could end up being the best $150 you spend. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:03 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I respectfully disagree. It's now a 13 year old car and while 76K miles works out to a little under 6K a year it's still 13 years old. KBB lists private party sale at $7300 and NADA shows retail value (which no one here should pay) at $9500 for 76K miles and all options. I still think $8 is a tad high, I'd try to get him down to $7 but probably wouldn't pay more than $7500...........

Old 03-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I respectfully disagree. It's now a 13 year old car and while 76K miles works out to a little under 6K a year it's still 13 years old. KBB lists private party sale at $7300 and NADA shows retail value (which no one here should pay) at $9500 for 76K miles and all options. I still think $8 is a tad high, I'd try to get him down to $7 but probably wouldn't pay more than $7500...........
Then we will agree to disagree. Those guides are nothing but that,a guide that prices a base coupe and applies the same depreciation for the manual Brembo coupes which are much more sought after, based on the same algorithms. The prices for Canada show similar, a Brembo coupe is $800 more than a base coupe. You will not find a 6mt Brembo coupe for $1k more than a base automatic coupe unless it's falling apart. The 6mt Brembo G and 350Z mint,unmolested, not winter driven, not accidented with low mileage are becoming unicorns. I don't see many below asking $7k.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ssionCodes=MAN

Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Something seems off here, the $9850 price for only 76k miles on an 04 Brembo coupe no winters sounds pretty low. If you can get him down to $8000 and he accepts I'd be even more suspicious. Although these models were less affected with oil consumption I would investigate this further, the price just seems too low. Make sure to take this car for a pre purchase inspection at an Infiniti dealer that can pull all service records and warranty complaints. That will tell you if any owner has ever complained about oil consumption, how often, for how long and what was done to it. Could end up being the best $150 you spend. Good luck.
Depends on the situation of the person selling it. I paid 6k for my 03 w/ 92k miles on it. Clean inside and out, well maintained, etc. It was the guy's wife's car and she was expecting a baby. It was listed for about two months and they wanted to get rid of it. He was asking 7k, I offered 6k and he took it on the spot.

Sometimes people just get a good deal when buying used cars.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I'm not sure where you're located but one thing to consider is that vehicles tend to cost more in the North East.... especially if they are rust free and don't get used in winter weather.

I've been looking at some hobby vehicles lately and have been very amazed at how much cheaper vehicles are if I search about 500 miles south of my Massachusetts home area. Its' a very significant difference.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Good point, I live in Texas and prices here seem to be significantly cheaper than those up in the rust belt......

Old 03-15-2017, 02:18 PM
So guys! I got him down to $8400 with an extra set of tires!

Yeah rust free is hard to find here in capitol area NY.

Not to mention it's the brembo package and is super clean inside and out.

I was aiming for $8000, but $8400 with a new set of tires is pretty good imo!

Picking it up in 10 days!

Old 03-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Narzick
So guys! I got him down to $8400 with an extra set of tires!

Yeah rust free is hard to find here in capitol area NY.

Not to mention it's the brembo package and is super clean inside and out.

I was aiming for $8000, but $8400 with a new set of tires is pretty good imo!

Picking it up in 10 days!
Congratulations and good luck with the new car. Hopefully either the current set of tires or the new set is a winter set. Don't expect to drive a G coupe in snow with summer tires on it and live to tell about it.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Congratulations and good luck with the new car. Hopefully either the current set of tires or the new set is a winter set. Don't expect to drive a G coupe in snow with summer tires on it and live to tell about it.
Ill be posting pictures when I get it! As for the tires, theyre another set of street tires.

Originally I was gonna use the G as my all year car, and sell my '01 impala, but I've decided to keep the impala for a winter car to keep the G as fresh as possible!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.