G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Where is the Fuse for Headlights? AHHHH!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Where is the Fuse for Headlights? AHHHH!!!!

I'm having a mini-crisis here if you care to read...basically having a nightmare replacing the ballast(s) in my car since my passenger side headlight has been out for a bit.

I opened up the fuse box by the battery but don't see a specific fuse for the headlights, although I doubt this is the problem, although it'd be an easy fix.

Here's my dilemma if anyone can help: (GREATLY APPRECIATED IF SO!!!!)

Ok, this isn't the lighting section, but I'm in dire need of help as I need to drive, but can't in my car's current state.

My passenger side headlight has been out for sometime so I finally was able to order new bulbs (not the issue unfortunately) and came to the conclusion that my ballast was bad. I got my OEM ballasts (2 actually with headlight adapters included to work with) and installed the new ballast, actually I tried both and neither are working.

My driver side has had zero issues, so I decided I'd unbolt the driver side ballast and install the two new ballasts to see if either are working, both aren't. Upset and frustrated I bolt back the original and WORKING ballast on the driver side and now the driver side light isn't working.

WTF. Makes no sense. Is there some trick to making the ballasts work? Sorry that this isn't posted in the appropriate forum, I'm hoping for some quick assistance! Ahhh!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Also, wanted to point out that my fogs work, assuming that they're on the same fuse. If not, then it's irrelevant.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Still anxiously/patiently (sorta) hoping someone can clarify the location of the headlight fuse(s)?

I'm assuming there are 2 fuses? Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No idea.. but I figured I wouldnt completely ignore this post..

did you check the fuse box inside the car for the fuse(s)?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
The fuses for the headlights are located in the fuse box behind the battery. This is called the IPDM box or something. You'll have to remove the battery cover, and even possibly the battery to get good access to it. The lid just slides upward.

There are (4) fuses. One for each side high beam, and one for each side low beam.

They should be numbered.

Fuse 72 and 74 are the right and left high beam fuses (10A)
Fuse 76 and 86 are the right and left low beam fuses (15A)

Each set is fed by a relay. However, if the drivers side works, then the relay is okay.

Plus, there should be labels on that fuse box. (The photo below is just something i found on the internet. Pay no attention to the circled fuse)

Last edited by liche; 01-29-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I KNOW WHERE IT IS... ITS BEHIND THE BATTERY..!!

you gotta take off the battery cover.. and take out the battery depending on the year of your car.. and you will see a Black BOX behind the battery.. pull that cover up and it will come off.. and inside the cover it has the labels for where the fuse is for headlight, foglight, tail light etc.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM
BTW, if you are at a point of DIRE need and can't even drive the car, then just take the thing to the dealer. Sure, it will cost a lot, but DIRE usually costs money. Plus, they have the tools to diagnose something like this very quickly.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
this diagram show the relays but not what each small fuse is for ..

got it from 2003 sedan service manual ..

il keep looking ..

Name:  relaybox.jpg
Views: 32403
Size:  58.4 KB

Last edited by WILLIE BEANS; 01-29-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM
this looks to be the front of the battery fuse box ..

where it says ipdm .. thats where its located .. the above picture in my previous post .. in the 2003 sedan service manual ..

Name:  frontofbatteryfusebox2003g35.jpg
Views: 18063
Size:  57.7 KB

Last edited by WILLIE BEANS; 01-29-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
found in 2003 g35 sedan service manual ..

i think i found it ..
headlamp low is fuse 83 (right headlamp) and 84 (left headlamp).. with 15 amp fuses in them ..

someone chime in and make sure im reading the diagram correctly ..

Name:  headlamprelaytofuses.jpg
Views: 12809
Size:  40.5 KB

Last edited by WILLIE BEANS; 01-29-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, i think you better first tell us what year your car is first, because the fuse diagrams are different from year to year.

Of course, just use one of the those $2.00 fuse testers and check them all - then you don't need to know which fuse is what until you actually find one blown.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Thank you so much everyone...I was in a bit of a panic (understatement) yesterday after failed attempts and then losing both headlights, instead of one. liche, when I said DIRE, it was out of frustration, not to mention the fact that I was feeling a bit helpless, having gone through all the motions and then not only not rectifying the problem, but creating a bigger mess (going from 1 headlight to zero).

I have an 05 Sedan 6MT and from reading the service manual, the IPDM is definitely behind the battery, but requires me to remove the battery to get to the fuses. I'm hoping once I get back there that both fuses are blown and this is the easy fix...crossing my fingers!

Sincerely, I appreciate everyone's work/time/effort into helping me out. My craftsman floor jack went out on me (it was around 10pm and freezing cold in my garage (in UT) so after finagling with it for over an hour and half, I literally ran to Wal-Mart, bought a jack and found out after trying to use it, it was too short. Ugh, the longest, yet most unproductive day ever yesterday.

I'll going to take out the battery tomorrow and check and hopefully fix the fuses and I'll confirm with everyone on here.

Again, sincerely, from a troubled G35 "mechanic", "Thank You!"

Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 AM
no problem .

as i posted the "#83 and #84 15amp fuses "are for the 2003 ..
might be the same for the 2005 .. hope the diagrams on it ..i guess the cover should have a diagram of what fuse is which ..

take a pic of the diagram if there is one on the cover..if you can ..

good luck ..

Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Just a quick update.

I wanted to sincerely thank everyone again for their time, patience, and help! I was so pissed that I forgot to take pictures, but it's super simple and if anyone needs help, feel free to PM me at any time and I can help.

At least on the 2005 (I'd assume 2006 as well), the fuse for the headlights is indeed behind/to the left of the battery. In order to get to the fusebox, you need to remove the battery and some of the upper trim, remove the IPDM cover and then you'll have access to the fuses and see the relays. If you look to the left of your battery and behind it, you'll see a 8"x4" black plastic box, that's it.

The fuses are unlabeled, so I pulled all of the 15A fuses (mini for reference) and fortunately and to my relief, found 2 blown fuses.

I replaced the fuses, installed the battery and wanted to kick a hole in my car...out of relief...but I held back.

Such a damn relief...I just wish I would've installed my new bulbs, now I need to do that, ugh.

If anyone's looking for two perfectly working ballasts and igniters, let me know!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm.. ill try this later.
my headlight isn't completely out because it turns on and off here and there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where is the Fuse for Headlights? AHHHH!!!!