G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New here, and to a g35!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, and to a g35!

Hello all, new to owning a g35, and was on a forum for my Tiburon where i experienced nothing but help, and hoping its the same here. had a few questions, though. just purchased an 03 g35 sedan 6spd manual from a used lot, has 113k miles on it. no past service records included. was wondering if there's anything you'd suggest doing right away? only problems i found so far after a couple hundred miles of driving, is the shifter shakes violently at upwards of 3k rpms. also has check engine light, but it still runs great. ill have to get the codes read again and ill post what they are here. its very clean with no rust, which is rare for an 03 here in Illinois. thank you for any help

Old 09-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
G35's are well known for Suspension parts going bad and also a leaky valve cover gasket. I'd check those 2 things out as well as that CEL

Old 09-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have had my G for a little over 1 1/2 years...and I am loving it. I'm also from Illinois, near O'Hare really.

With the miles on the car, I would at least check the plugs, belts, timing chain, and filters. I guess I am nervous with those things, though. As was already mentioned, the suspension parts. I hear that creaks and squeaks are common indications of issues.

Do you do your own car work/maintenance? If so, look for the service manual here on the site. a little less than 50 PDFs and 112MB. It's been quite helpful to me while becoming acquainted with the car.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'ello

06 mt G owner for 11 months now and have logged 19k miles since then.

Other than changing some belts and pulleys and doing my brakes I haven't had any problems with my car.

Mod bug got me fairly quickly. I intended to keep this car stock after coming from a stage 2 b5 1.8t a4.

Needless to say I slapped a z tube on with a k&n panel filter for starters.. all was right in the world. Then I get restless and added an oil catch can... lol then I got even more bored and added a grounding kit (who knows if it did anything). Fast forward a few months and installed Berk HFCs and a megan Y. 16 in resonator and a new perf muffler to be welded in next week or the following.

Check my pics for custom fog light install in another thread, I'll try and get a write up as soon as I can.

Needless to say my love for this car is forever growing.

Welcome and keep it classy.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Welcome! You will want to replace all fluids since you have no records. On the auto transmission, you want to do a drain and fill. _Do not flush._ Only use the recommended Nissan transmission fluid for the fill. Other fluids you can use pretty much what you want, but not for the transmission.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:48 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Oops never mind about the 5AT fluid bit...obviously doesn't apply.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Oops never mind about the 5AT fluid bit...obviously doesn't apply.
I would stick with the oem recommended antifreeze as well, heard some bad things with using universal coolant.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 AM
is the timing belt a big problem in these cars? people in the tiburon community kept telling me to change mine, but i was putting it aside until i had extra money, and it ended up stripping teeth on me, which led to the downfall of my first motor.. not gonna go in detail on that lol. also noticed, when hard braking the oil light flashes for a second, planning an oil change friday, but would that mean its dangerously low, or showing a sign of a future problem? the dipstick is really weird on these cars, and its only showing oil on one side of the dipstick anyway.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 AM
We have timing chains, much more reliable but the plastic guides tend to go. Love the dipstick lmao.. sarcasm.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by cenzo6mt
We have timing chains, much more reliable but the plastic guides tend to go. Love the dipstick lmao.. sarcasm.
when i was looking at the car before purchasing i pulled the dipstick out without paying attention, and had to search for a good 5 minutes before finding out where it went.. was embarrassing

Old 09-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
When I got my '04 6 speed on a used car lot (for $4998, said they have a hard time selling manual transmission sedans), it came not only with all service records, but the maintenance log completely filled out, original window sticker, sales contract, 6 new OEM oil filters and a new OEM cabin filter. Had 132k miles on it, always a Texas car and religiously serviced at the local Infiniti dealer. Plus based on where the guy lived, most of the mileage is almost certainly highway.

Only issues have been the after market cam position sensor the car dealer installed (replaced with OEM) and the a/c compressor clutch blew, most likely because the original owner for some reason added freon (can't find a leak at all) and the system had too much pressure. I found an empty freon recharge bottle in the trunk-one without a gauge.

Oil consumption can be an issue with VQ35 engines, check your oil weekly to figure out how much oil your engine is using (or hopefully not using) so you don't get low on oil.

Only other things mine apparently need (according to the shop that did the a/c) is the right front upper control arm bushings and compression rod and apparently those are common issues on these cars.

From what I've read here, you ought to get 150-200k miles out of the original clutch. Most 6 speed sedan drivers are older and got a stick because that's what they've always had and not so much for the performance improvement so they aren't beating on their cars like some of the coupe guys/gals do. I have 137k now on the original clutch an it still feels really good. If and when you need a new clutch, bear in mind if you stick with a dual mass flywheel that will add about $1000 or so to the cost. A single mass flywheel will be less expensive and allow the engine to rev quicker. The trade-off is you can't walk the car off the line at 800 rpm anymore. Small price to pay.

You might want to pull a plug or two to check the condition, that's part of the major 105k service.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
When I got my '04 6 speed on a used car lot (for $4998, said they have a hard time selling manual transmission sedans), it came not only with all service records, but the maintenance log completely filled out, original window sticker, sales contract, 6 new OEM oil filters and a new OEM cabin filter. Had 132k miles on it, always a Texas car and religiously serviced at the local Infiniti dealer. Plus based on where the guy lived, most of the mileage is almost certainly highway.

Only issues have been the after market cam position sensor the car dealer installed (replaced with OEM) and the a/c compressor clutch blew, most likely because the original owner for some reason added freon (can't find a leak at all) and the system had too much pressure. I found an empty freon recharge bottle in the trunk-one without a gauge.

Oil consumption can be an issue with VQ35 engines, check your oil weekly to figure out how much oil your engine is using (or hopefully not using) so you don't get low on oil.

Only other things mine apparently need (according to the shop that did the a/c) is the right front upper control arm bushings and compression rod and apparently those are common issues on these cars.

From what I've read here, you ought to get 150-200k miles out of the original clutch. Most 6 speed sedan drivers are older and got a stick because that's what they've always had and not so much for the performance improvement so they aren't beating on their cars like some of the coupe guys/gals do. I have 137k now on the original clutch an it still feels really good. If and when you need a new clutch, bear in mind if you stick with a dual mass flywheel that will add about $1000 or so to the cost. A single mass flywheel will be less expensive and allow the engine to rev quicker. The trade-off is you can't walk the car off the line at 800 rpm anymore. Small price to pay.

You might want to pull a plug or two to check the condition, that's part of the major 105k service.
136xxx mi on my stock clutch and it still bites hard and doesn't slip. Come November I will have put 20k on this year. Mechanically the car is sound, I will be revamping the suspension components and possibly lowering it by the end of the winter.

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I'm looking to at least do anti-roll bars. Still deciding what to do engine-wise. It's a night/weekend car so that gives me a bit more leeway.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
I'm looking to at least do anti-roll bars. Still deciding what to do engine-wise. It's a night/weekend car so that gives me a bit more leeway.
I'm looking at some sways after I fix my horrible suspension situation lol. Please report on the ride quality when you get them!

Old 10-07-2016, 05:27 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
lol cenzo I feel like I'm stalking you. Scott I'm a big fan of the sway bar upgrade, do it and you'll wonder why it took so long to make it happen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New here, and to a g35!