G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Gas cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gas cap

Hi everyone. I just registered for a couple of reasons. First, I have a check engine light sporadically coming on due to the gas cap. I had it replaced and the tech erased the error, but a few days later it came back on. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?

Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Ocanada
Hi everyone. I just registered for a couple of reasons. First, I have a check engine light sporadically coming on due to the gas cap. I had it replaced and the tech erased the error, but a few days later it came back on. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?
Was the gas cap replaced at an Infiniti dealer and was it an Infiniti tech that cleared the error?

Why didn't you just go right back?

Telcoman

Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 AM
[B][
Originally Posted by telcoman
Was the gas cap replaced at an Infiniti dealer and was it an Infiniti tech that cleared the error?

Why didn't you just go right back?

Telcoman
I've had it done twice now at the Nissan dealership.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
[B][
I've had it done twice now at the Nissan dealership.
Then you need to go back and tell them you want this fixed for a third time! Maybe, it isn't the gas cap, but one of the exhaust sensors that throws a similar code?
Gary

Old 01-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by gary c
Then you need to go back and tell them you want this fixed for a third time! Maybe, it isn't the gas cap, but one of the exhaust sensors that throws a similar code?
Gary
Or maybe the Nissan dealer is using an incorrect gas cap on the Infiniti?

The op needs to go to an Infiniti dealer to have the problem correctly diagnosed.
Try going cheap and you end up going twice or three times with a lot of hassle thrown in.

Telcoman

Old 01-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Let's be clear, Infiniti = Nissan !

There is no reason a competent Nissan tech would do any less of a job than an Infiniti tech would. Similarly, there is also the very real possibility of encountering an incompetent tech at either an Infinti or Nissan dealership.

Ocanada probably has a P0455 code (EVAP Control System Gross Leak detected)and the first reflex is always the gas cap. Failing that, it is most likely a faulty control/check valve in the EVAP system. It's quite common on many cars. IMO, he should go back to the same dealership and demand proper repair - for free!

http://www.autocodes.com/p0455_infiniti.html

Old 01-31-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vqsmile

There is no reason a competent Nissan tech would do any less of a job than an Infiniti tech would. Similarly, there is also the very real possibility of encountering an incompetent tech at either an Infinti or Nissan dealership.

Ocanada probably has a P0455 code (EVAP Control System Gross Leak detected)and the first reflex is always the gas cap. Failing that, it is most likely a faulty control/check valve in the EVAP system. It's quite common on many cars. IMO, he should go back to the same dealership and demand proper repair - for free!

Is the same software on a CONSULT 111 the same for a Nissan and an Infiniti?

Terms such "Real possibility"," and most likely", is not going to find the root cause without the use of proper diagnosing equipment that only an Infiniti dealer has.
Keep guessing and maybe he'll get lucky?

I've been using the same Infiniti dealer for almost twelve years on my second Infiniti and have never encountered an incompetent technician.
I don't trust anyone but the dealer to work on my cars and have never had a problem that wasn't fixed right the first time.

The OP will eventually learn.

Telcoman

Old 01-31-2016, 02:19 PM

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm going back this week and I'll ask about the exhaust/EVAP system. Will post the diagnosis.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the code should have been included in the first post or asked for in the first reply? If p0455 go for the evap canister purge solenoid located at the rear of the vehicle, not the one in the engine bay.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:14 PM
Or maybe the Nissan dealer is using an incorrect gas cap on the Infiniti?
The op needs to go to an Infiniti dealer to have the problem correctly diagnosed.
Try going cheap and you end up going twice or three times with a lot of hassle thrown in.
Telcoman
Not so telcoman! I've been using Nissan since they were called Datsun and I was tracking my 510 in the 70s at places like Riverside race way. Infiniti and Nissan use many of the same parts and they cross check the part numbers in their computer. I've found Nissan charges 30% less and their mechanics are generally trained better! I had the best service from Nissan when their GT-R mechanics worked on SLICK, sadly the very best start there own shops. Only time I ever go to the Infiniti Stealership is for warranty work...Gary

Old 02-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
OP what code are you getting? It should be printed on the service receipt you got when work was completed.

Is the same software on a CONSULT 111 the same for a Nissan and an Infiniti?

Terms such "Real possibility"," and most likely", is not going to find the root cause without the use of proper diagnosing equipment that only an Infiniti dealer has.
Keep guessing and maybe he'll get lucky?
Nissan Consult III diag software is the same between Nissan and Infiniti. No difference. Look in your door jamb, you'll notice it says "Manufactured by Nissan Motor Corp."

The G also shares the same "FM" platform with the Z and most drivetrain parts are interchangeable. A Nissan dealership does in fact have the proper diagnostic tools for the OP's problem. You might get a loaner car and a marginally nicer waiting room at an Infiniti dealership, but Nissan mechanics have the proper tools at their disposal. It's okay to try different Kool-Aid once in a while.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
OP what code are you getting? It should be printed on the service receipt you got when work was completed.

Nissan Consult III diag software is the same between Nissan and Infiniti. No difference. Look in your door jamb, you'll notice it says "Manufactured by Nissan Motor Corp."

The G also shares the same "FM" platform with the Z and most drivetrain parts are interchangeable. A Nissan dealership does in fact have the proper diagnostic tools for the OP's problem. You might get a loaner car and a marginally nicer waiting room at an Infiniti dealership, but Nissan mechanics have the proper tools at their disposal. It's okay to try different Kool-Aid once in a while.
Didn't keep the receipt but have an appointment tomorrow at Nissan. I'll post it when I know. Hopefully he will fix the issue this time. At least now I'm a little more knowledgeable going in thanks to you guys.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Didn't keep the receipt ..
Outstanding

Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 PM

Well guys ,you were right. EVAP Control gross leak. Code PO 456. It's a big leak the tech said, gotta replace a valve. Go in tomorrow for that. And guess what telcoman... the Nissan dealership had an Infiniti part in stock.

The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Well guys ,you were right. EVAP Control gross leak. Code PO 456. It's a big leak the tech said, gotta replace a valve. Go in tomorrow for that. And guess what telcoman... the Nissan dealership had an Infiniti part in stock.
Get them to refund the price of the gas cap you didn't need! All they really needed to do was make sure it was tight before moving on to what was really causing the error code...Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas cap