G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Satin black trunk, hood, and roof??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Satin black trunk, hood, and roof??

Hi all, i recently purchased a 08 g35x in K51 (Gray metallic/platinum graphite)
however the previous owner apparently parked it under a tree or something and whatever fell onto it has etched into the clear coat. i've taken it to the dealer multiple times, gone to 2 detailing shops and even to a auto body shop and none of them could help even if they wanted to. all stating that that whole car (mostly) would have to be repainted to fix it. i was quoted around 6k to do it.

i dont really want to do that and don't have that sort of money for a cosmetic issue.
so im thinking of wrapping the hood, the trunk, and the roof.
those are the most affected areas (especially the trunk)

i had one shop quote me at $500-$600 for the wrap in satin or matte black (also considering carbon fiber). seems like a decent price.

just wanted to see what everyone's opinion on here is, i was planning on making some changes to the cars exterior anyway just to personalize it a bit and this does that and also fixes a major cosmetic issue (its very noticeable in most lighting)

also if anyone has any other ideas on how to fix it or any other color choices that might look better than black

The Spots do not show well in a picture but are very obvious in person, the car just looks filthy even after a detail and wash

The emblems and badges would be removed for the wrap

similar to what was done here

Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 PM
The main thing i am trying to decide is if this will look clean or if it will look very ricey and ruin the more respectable nature of the car. i haven't been able to find any pictures of black again platinum graphite and that is my main concern. I do not want it to look like i grabbed parts of another g and stuck them on mine.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUnfortunately thats what its probably going to look like if u dont end up customizing any other parts (wheels, door trim, tailights, maybe painting headlights?). If u definitely are going to wrap those 3 parts, tint the windows for sure. I wouldnt have even wasted my time going to the dealer. How bad is hood and the roof? Are they as bad as the trunk looks? I would wax and seal these defected areas ASAP if not done already if u arent going to make a move on them soon because the etching will just get deeper. Nissans have soft paint and the previous owner either didnt think this would happen that quickly or simply didnt care. I do have 1 bad etch spot on the very end of my roof right on the edge by the drip molding that is about the size of a nickel and u can feel that its etched as hell. If i remember correctly i let birdsh** sit there for a while and it probably baked in the sun. Im going for a full paint correction detail soon and im really wondering what they will say about it. Im curious about how the roof n hood look because repainting might just be the best route. If u do that route i would definitely get a supreme detail done to the rest of the body so it looks as it should next to the newly painted parts.. Good luck brother i feel ur paint, i bought a new bumper and had it painted when bought my 07 X (78k miles) back in june of '13 because it was so blasted with chips it looked like someone drove behind a salt trailer for hours straight.

Last edited by youngdip631; 05-15-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
It will look unbelievably ricey

..and I think you knew that already

Old 05-15-2016, 08:41 PM
I have already had the windows tinted, and ive also ordered the gtr covers from bluebatmobile for the headlight, taillights and a rear valence/diffuser cover. just to give it a different look. also planning on adding the OEM spoiler later on.

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/BlueB...ml?sort=3&o=37

yeah... i knew it was going to be ricey, kinda just wasnt sure what to do. im glad i wised up before i had it wrapped. likely would have looked pretty bad.

And the hood and roof arent as bad as the trunk but in certain lighting (like sunset) it is very noticable. however i just cant justify spending the 6k on a repaint for just a cosmetic issue.

most likely i will just leave as is. here in Oregon in rains so much everyone's cars have water spots anyhow.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 PM
on a side note, is it taboo to put racing or rally stripes on these cars? i understand that is generally a american muscle thing (or german) but i cant seem to find any pics of people who have added these to their G's.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by martinscott333

on a side note, is it taboo to put racing or rally stripes on these cars? i understand that is generally a american muscle thing (or german) but i cant seem to find any pics of people who have added these to their G's.
And again, the fact that you can't find any means you already know the answer.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:34 AM
but why? do they look very bad? it seems that nobody has even attempted it and with it being such a great and popular vehicle that confuses me.
whats wrong with stripes on a japanese car?

Old 05-16-2016, 12:42 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
but why? do they look very bad? it seems that nobody has even attempted it and with it being such a great and popular vehicle that confuses me.
whats wrong with stripes on a japanese car?
Dude, if YOU LIKE IT, then just do it! You don't need to ask permission.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 AM
lol i had already planned on it (ordered the kit already), just curious why nobody else had tried it before that's all

Old 05-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Because other people have good tastes

Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Banned
Satin black trunk, hood, and roof??-uttdstj.jpg

this looks great. im gonna do a lot of small ones though so i'll look like a rolling barcode

Old 05-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Well taste is just a opinion and everyone has their own, the kit i've ordered is a 10'' offset rally stripe and as far as i know nobody has tried on a G before. it might look great or it might look terrible. wont know till i try though

Old 05-16-2016, 06:05 PM
Banned
Well taste is just a opinion and everyone has their own, the kit i've ordered is a 10'' offset rally stripe and as far as i know nobody has tried on a G before. it might look great or it might look terrible. wont know till i try though
up to you man. Hopefully you like it though and you're happy. Good luck installing it-I'm sure there will be a ton of bubbles under it

Old 05-16-2016, 06:12 PM
its possible with all the etching on the body, ive installed kits from this same brand 3 times before and never had any problems, but we will see. could look terrible on this car with how rounded all the angles are but doesn't hurt to try. can always be removed after

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.