Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Y-pipes for AWD sedans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Y-pipes for AWD sedans

My Motordyne y-back is a 3" exhaust all the way back, so I would like to find a y-pipe that merges into a 3" outlet. At the same time, I need a y-pipe that clears the transfer case. Ladies and gentlemen, your help in making this thread the first place X owners come to answer the topical question is greatly appreciated.

Confirmed fits AWD:
Research has confirmed the following fit the 1st gen X:
Stock y-pipe
Brand: OEM
Clears TC: Confirmed clears the transfer case
Inlet diameter: 2.0"
Outlet diameter: 2.5"

07/08 350Z HR y-pipe
Inlet diameter: 2.0"*
Outlet diameter: 2.5"*

G37 & 370Z HR y-pipe
Inlet diameter: 1.7"*
Outlet diameter: 2.5"*

M2 Performance G37 08+ Stainless Steel Y Pipe
Brand: M2 Performance
Inlet diameter: 2.5"
Outlet diameter: 3.0"
More info:
Note: Bingo! A 3.0" outlet that clears the TC and mounts to my Motordyne VQ. The search if over - this is what I have on my car as of February 2011

*note: the jury is still out on exactly what these numbers are; check this thread for current information: https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...hr-y-pipe.html
Unconfirmed possibilities:
I need more information about these brands that appear to fit, but I have not been able to confirm:
AAM Competition Y-pipe
Brand: Altered Atmosphere
Clears TC: Unknown; sent email to AAM on 05 Feb 2010 & called 09 Feb 2010

Ultimate Racing Stainless Steel Y-pipe
Brand: Ultimate Racing
Clears TC: Unknown

Stillen Y-pipe
Brand: Stillen
Clears TC: Unknown; appears cross-brace may cause fitment issue; emailed Stillen 09 Feb 2010

Tanabe 350Z HR Y-pipe
Brand: Tanabe
Clears TC: Unknown; sent email to Tanabe on 05 Feb 2010 - still back and forth via email 09 Feb 2010
Inlet diameter: 2.36"
Outlet diameter: 2.75"
Confirmed DOES NOT FIT the X:
A sad state of affairs, but these do not fit:
- OEM 1st gen RWD sedan/coupe
- Motordyne XYZ
Just a couple of notes about my purpose here.
- I'm looking to consolidate information for my fellow X'ers about y-pipes only (i.e. that's why Stillen Gen 2 catback isn't here).
- All of us already know the 350Z HR is a good choice, but they are getting hard to find and it's good to have other options
- I'm no expert; correct me where I'm wrong and I'll edit as needed
- If you have more info, let me know! If everyone reads this thread first, the question won't be asked again!
- A great deal of my information came from here: http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Y_Pipes - good info; read it.

Last edited by thelarsky; 06-06-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Updated with M2 Performance info
Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump as i'd like to know as well. also, was there a difference in fitment bet x sedans from 04 say vs 05-06?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
^I wouldn't think there should be a difference. As far as RWD goes, all of the y-pipes seem to fit 1st gen coupes/sedans/zs just fine. I have come across evidence that the early '04 G35x shares a similar y-pipe design to the RWD, somehow allowing a different style Y to fit underneath the transfer case. I drive an '04 that was made in 11/03, so these x's must be VERY early.

Hopefully I'll get some response to my email later today when the west coast opens for business; otherwise, I'll have to start making calls.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Update for 09 Feb 2010:

- In contact with Tanabe via email; no conclusion yet, but looking for ways to verify fitment

- Talked with AAM on the phone; they are checking with production & design. No conclusion yet, but they seemed interested in finding a way to verify fitment

- Emailed Stillen today

I know dubbedown and I aren't the only ones that care about this - where is everybody?

Last edited by thelarsky; 02-09-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info if only MD made a y-pipe for the x's but thats pushing it. Yea the y-pipes from 04.5+ x's are different than the 03-04 x's

Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
good luck with your search. I've attempted to do my own hunting for the answer and gave up too many variables. In the MD exhaust, we had that one guy with an 04 X post up he had a XYZ pipe and then one guy show clear pictures of his 04x hitting the TC. After that i gave up... I'm taking the easy way out and either going with a stillen gen2 or not getting a Y.

Yes MD COULD take some time in looking at it. I think he did briefly and stated no go. THere aren't any AWD in cali to do any test fitting. Plus we would need a good amount of people interested. I think more of us are interested in suspension then exhaust for the most part. They are/might be in the process of looking at front sways for the X right now. If that sells like expected there might be a chance to look into Y's for AWD.

Has anyone looked up part numbers on the Y-pipes by VIN. Its just weird to have all Y pipes for RWD fit on everything and anything under the sun but we run into something silly like not knowing how far back we need the spot where both banks meet should be to clear the TC.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
True on the suspension part. Im doing wheels, tires, camber kit, then bodykit. Im still waiting on those sway bars.

MD could, but it will most likely end up being something like us leaving deposits. Dont know if there is a great demand for the y-pipe being done but im all for it.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
^I don't blame Tony for not pursuing this. He spent a lot of time designing the XYZ to make sure the collector was at the optimal distance back from the inlets; it just happens the transfer case is at the same distance. MD is all about performance, so there's not much reason to ask them to design a sub-optimal part.

The other manufacturers have been very receptive and responsive to my inquiries, so progress is being made. I don't want to publish any results until I can get some clear answers, but I will be busy this weekend doing mockups and measuring my car.

I guess I thought more people were into exhaust due to the frequency of HFC posts. I can't afford to do all my performance mods on top of wheels, cosmetics, lowering, etc. My car looks bone stock apart from the MD VQ tips on the back - I don't even have an Aero kit. But I ain't skeered - let the idiots in stock Mustangs and tuned Bimmers try what they will...(actually I have no idea - I'm not racing anyone on crappy NJ roads).

Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by thelarsky
Update for 09 Feb 2010:

- In contact with Tanabe via email; no conclusion yet, but looking for ways to verify fitment

- Talked with AAM on the phone; they are checking with production & design. No conclusion yet, but they seemed interested in finding a way to verify fitment

- Emailed Stillen today

I know dubbedown and I aren't the only ones that care about this - where is everybody?
thanks... in the meantime, i'm in the look out of a hr ypipe off a 370z. i know those fit the x sedans.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 PM
^Yep. Just mind the smaller piping diameter and verify the benefits of that particular pipe before committing to purchase. Check the link in my first post for any updates on the 350Z vs 370Z HR discussion...

Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
any updates? from any of the maybe guys? HR pipes are hard to come by and when they do show up the Z guys know whats it worth to us G owners and want a little more then normal.

Supply and demand owns us all..

Old 04-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestswat
Great info if only MD made a y-pipe for the x's but thats pushing it. Yea the y-pipes from 04.5+ x's are different than the 03-04 x's
This is true.. the 04.5x y-pipe looks like the HR y-pipe, but without the hockey pucks and brackets.

Name:  XY2.jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  54.9 KB

Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I actually emailed Exhaust Depot about this earlier today (Friday). Terrible timing on my part, as I am sure they are all booked for their private lives given it's a holiday weekend. If I don't hear anything from them by Monday, I'll shoot them another email.

Just an FYI: 2010 G37xS sedan here.

And as far as HFCs, it seems like they should all work. Berk has been the only company to reply back to me, to confirm that their HFCs will fit the X sedan.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM
My x was built before 04.5 and my Y looks like the Hr as well... weird

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Updated with info about the M2 Performance y-pipe. One of just a few that actually fit the X!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Y-pipes for AWD sedans