Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another harness bar thread... lol!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
G35
Another harness bar thread... lol!

Most threads I read are a dead end... I am getting a pair of Sparco seats and as with most people installing racing seats I am looking into a harness bar for a 4 point. I cant find any installed pics of a actual Sparco or the talked about NRG in a coupe

A fellow member sold a 350z Sparco harness bar back in the day, but in the picture it had the bar had down supports... As far as I know the Sparco did/does not have down supports and used its end plates/350z interior to hold the bar up.

I have talked to several vendors and most say that Sparco does not list a bar for the G, so it will not fit. I called Sparco USA and was told it was solely designed and tested for the 350z and it has not been designed/tested in the G35 so they DO NOT recommend you try and use it.

I also spoke with Speedware-Motorsports in Washington as they manufacture the bars for Sparco and they told me that the interior panels on the G35 are different and it will not work. They also told me for as long as they have been manufacturing bars for Sparco it has never had down supports.

There are many universal bars out there, but the down supports seem to be pretty short causing the bar to slant downward too much for my liking. If you really plan on tracking the car like I do or really care about safety, universal bars are pretty sketchy as you do not know the strength of the materials, the amount of R&D, acceptable harness attachment angles and who knows if it would even pass tech...

So here is where I am... Buy a universal bar and hope it works and pray its safe or have one custom made... I know the NRG bars are universal, but their application chart lists both their 49" and 50.5" bar for the G35. I called them and they said you can run either one, but on the 50.5" the brackets will need to be reversed. Their bar is constructed out of aluminum not steel.

FYI, I measured from drivers upper seat belt mount to passengers and it was roughly 48". Pillar to pillar panel roughly 49" on my coupe.

Attached Thumbnails Another harness bar thread... lol!-sparco-bar.jpg   Another harness bar thread... lol!-sparco-bar-g35....jpg   Another harness bar thread... lol!-harness-angles.gif  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Why do you need a harness? Just use stock seatbelt.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
I you daily your car, DO NOT USE A HARNESS BAR. If you roll your car, you have a severe chance of breaking your neck. Do not use a harness bar.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
^ What he said. You say safety is a concern... You should really research what you're getting into. What classes are you running in? That will determine what bar you need if you need one at all. Do not sacrifice function and safety for a look! Not trying to sound rude, I just don't want anybody getting needlessly hurt.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I have a NRG safety harness bar.

Made custom 1/8" steel mounting brackets to work with original seat belt upper pillar mount. Brackets are "U" shaped lowers bar 3" and moves it forward 2". Bracket still allows use of OEM seat belts and full travel of front seats.

Strut bar supports are mounted to custom "J" shaped 1/8" steel brackets which attach to seat belt lower pillar mount and hidden behind carpet.

Safety harness bar will not impede the function of side curtain air bags.

The harness bar provides significant body stiffening, noticed when jacking car up after bar installed.

Safety Harness bar is for show only. They will fold up and bend if used with aftermarket saftey harness belts in an accicedent.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
G35
^ No worries at all guys. Just was looking into them. The 2 that kept popping up where the NRG and Sparco. Never seen them (harness bars) before until I considered seats. Always been cages. I wont be slapping my name on the roof or a # on the doors anytime soon. lol! Just looking into it and weighing options. I recently finished my build and the car is a different animal now and got me thinking as it is not my daily. I really like the idea of a 4 point though...

Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Do not put a 4 point in a daily.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
This^
Op has not ONCE mentioned tracking said vehicle.