Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Just had SIRIUS installed, keeps going "no signal (rear dash antenna location, coupe)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had SIRIUS installed, keeps going "no signal (rear dash antenna location, coupe)

I had him install it on my rear dash, he put it dead in the center of the dash. I do have tinted windows, but not metallic.

So I drive around town to test it out, and practically ever 20 seconds it goes to "no signal" for a couple seconds. Its not even listenable with how it keeps cutting out. I wanted it inside the car because the kids at my college are *******s and tend to mess with nicer cars.

What do you guys recommend?

Can somebody show me a picture of their antenna on their rear dash? Maybe the guy just put mine in a bad spot or something, I don't know really... He said he only did 1 before in that area, and it was on the Sedan and I guess they didn't have any problems.

At this point I'm regretting the whole satellite radio thing. The dealer installed it for free since it was part of the deal when I bought the car a couple weeks back, how much you think they'd charge if I came in now asking them to move the antenna?

Last edited by mordak; 07-19-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 PM
I have the antennae for my XM in one of my cars mounted in the corner of the front dash and I've never had a problem with reception. They should nave done a test run before running the wire by just placing it on the shelf and seeing how the reception was.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Since it was part of the deal, take it back and tell them to fix it.
C.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I had an XM that was in the middle of the dash in front, never had a problem. My guess is the wires of the defroster are interfering with it. Also your tint does not have to be reflective to have a metallic content.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Since it was part of the deal, take it back and tell them to fix it.
C.
I doubt they would, they recommended it on top of the car but I told them no, now if I go back asking them to put it there, I bet they would charge me labor.

Oh and what channel is the Playboy station lol, damn pamphlet doesn't say.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by mordak
I doubt they would, they recommended it on top of the car but I told them no, now if I go back asking them to put it there, I bet they would charge me labor.

Oh and what channel is the Playboy station lol, damn pamphlet doesn't say.
It can just be the area that you live in. Are you around a lot of trees? I live in nyc and in my neighborhhod its fine. But if I go 10 minutes away where there are plenty of trees i basically have no reception.

Playboy is 198.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Yes a lot of trees around, but even when I'm in areas with no trees, still cuts out.

How do I get to Playboy station? Mine only goes up to 184 then goes back to 0. Do I have to call SIRIUS to have them activate Playboy? If so does it cost extra?

Old 07-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes a lot of trees around, but even when I'm in areas with no trees, still cuts out.

How do I get to Playboy station? Mine only goes up to 184 then goes back to 0. Do I have to call SIRIUS to have them activate Playboy? If so does it cost extra?
The trees are the problem with your reception. As far as the playboy goes, they should have asked you if you wanted it before they activated it. But anyway you should call them and tell them you want it. Its free of charge, they just want your permission to activate it.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:45 PM
So would the trees still be a problem if I had the antenna on the top & outside of the car? If so then I guess I just wasted $142 for the year of service and might as well cancel...

Old 07-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
No don't cancel it, but just have it reconfigured.

I've got the mini-antenna sitting directly on top of my trunk, towards the rear of the trunk lik where it breaks open. It's subtle enough that only G owners notice it. The reception is good about 80 to 90 % of the time. I don't have a pic or else I'd post it.

I have Sirius too and I love it. I hardly ever listen to terrestial radio now. I got it for Howard Stern but now I hardly llisten to him even though the show is sooo much better now. Raw Dog is great and so are a whole bunch of genre type stations. Go back and get it fixed right, I'll try to get a pic of my trunk lid later on this week to demonstrate. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 PM
I think that if you live in an area that is surrounded by trees it doesnt really matter where the antenna is, reception will be very bad. This is why so many people do some kind of research before installing it. Some areas its just not worth having.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So would the trees still be a problem if I had the antenna on the top & outside of the car? If so then I guess I just wasted $142 for the year of service and might as well cancel...
My antenna is mounted attached to the top of the windshield on the inside just to the right of the mirror. Reception is perfect. Wire is run inside the A-pillar. Nobody can tell it is there from the outside. You don't even notice it from the inside.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:48 AM
they actually make a Sirius antenna for our car that attaches to the front windshield right behind your rear view mirror, Grubbs carries it... LINK

Old 07-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I have mine mounted inside the car in the center of the rear dash. I don't have tint and have no problems. I did it myself and took all of 30 mins. Either take it back and have them redo it or fix it yourself. Tints shouldn't effect the signal.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
I bought a Sirius Sporster...I liked the portability of it. But, I mounted my antenna in the back of the car next to the 3rd brake light with some velcro, it is basically against the window.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just had SIRIUS installed, keeps going "no signal (rear dash antenna location, coupe)