Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

CD Changer Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD Changer Error

Anyone who had CD changer problem and had to go to dealer to fix it, what was the error you've seen?
Today, I took my car to a touchless carwash for handwax job. After I picked up the car on my way home I pressed the CD button and the display gave me an error "CD Error F0" or something like that. When pressing Load button, it just beeps. Eject and other buttons under CD function would not work. There were also marks on the edge where you would insert the CD. Seems like someone was using a stick or something trying to pick something out. DAMN I was SO upset!!
Anyway, I just want to know if anyone have seen the error and what was it? I know the only way is probably go to the dealer, but does anyone has any other suggestions? I'm afraid that the dealer would not cover this under the warranty if they see the marks on the edge.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: CD Changer Error

They'll cover it. The CD Err F0 code is a common problem. I've had mine replaced 3 times so far. Call your service dept., because they'll have to order a new radio, they aren't allowed to stock them for some strange reason (Clarion's rule, I think, not Infiniti's). They'll swap it out, and send the busted unit in to have your CD's extracted, which you'll get back later.

Considering those scratches on the player from the car wash, I'd be interested in knowing if you wind up with an extra, mystery CD when you get them back...

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last three vehicles I had, all had some "electronics" issues like these, one had the radio unit replaced twice, the last had CD trouble, so this is not limited to Infiniti, I don't get why they can't make this stuff to hold up under "automotive" conditons! I would think they would have them in stock, at least one or two, since it seems to be a common problem!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 11-27-2003, 12:39 PM

Great to hear confident words "They'll cover it." It releases some of stress and anger.
But I think what happened was when they were wiping the center panel, they accidentally pressed the eject and then the number button; a CD was ejected. Then this "someone" (I'm being really polite here) didn't know what they were doing, was forcing "pushing" the CD to load.
Sigh~... I live in an apartment complex. Otherwise, I would wash/wax the baby by myself.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:47 PM

Seems like most of these modern/advanced cars has "electronics" issues. Many of my friends who own BMWs, aside from hearing how great the performance is, the contrast is how many times they had to take their car in for electronic related repairs.

Old 11-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car washes aren't known for the "geniuses" they hire! Guess if someone tried to force the CD back in, that would be a problem, geez! I try tp avoid them myself, very rare that I go to one, and that would be only if it was too cold to wash the car myself!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 11-28-2003, 05:22 PM

I had the same problem and I didn't want to take it to the dealer, so I just kept pushing buttons and turning it on and off, and finally it just started to work again. The problem hasn't come back again after that one occurance. I think it has something to do with the "focus" of the laser thats why it says "FO" in the error message. It could be from a shock or impact to the HU while the disc is trying to load or it could be from fingerprints or scratches on the CD.

Silverstone 6MT Maya DTM 20's

Old 12-02-2003, 12:38 AM

My 2K3 G35 coupe did that on my very first drive. My player had a problem where it would slowly stop reading CDs correctly after about 30 minutes. Staticy sounds would get louder and louder, would remain when changing between discs. Would work correctly after cooling off. If I tried to change CDs while it was having trouble, I'd get CD ERR F0.

So, it seems like it simply means "I can't read the disc", but the firmware is too dumb to spit the disc back out. I was able to get the disc out by just turning the car off and on a few times. Infiniti replaced the radio without any trouble and the new one works properly.

-- Rob

Old 12-03-2003, 02:49 AM

I made an appointment with Sacramento Infiniti today. I gave them the information needed over the phone and for some reason, they called me back and said I don't have BOSE for my G. I was laughing hard sarcastically and said, so what does it show in your system? The lady who called me replied, she doesn't know and she'll have to call again to find out, but wanted to confirm with me again what brand and model # is printed on the front of the stereo system.
I said to her this is rediculous and calm myself down and told her that I assure you it's a BOSE and no model # printed on the front of the system except RDS is printed on the casette door with BOSE on it. Well, she said she will go ahead and order it for me.
So, I'm bring my G in tomorrow afternoon and leaving my car there over night because I'm having them check squeaking noise coming from the front suspension (only heard when the car is cold or in the morning) and 2 other things (another noise from the rear where the bass is located and driver side chair rocking problem).
Hopefully, I'll get a nice loaner and get my car back the next day with all 3 things fixed..... I'll miss my G for sure...

Old 12-03-2003, 02:36 PM

I don't think you'll have the CD player fixed that quickly. In my experience, once they order it, it takes about a week for them to receive it.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:27 AM

ryoken is right. I have the same problem, and called the dealer to tell them. Service guy told me they have to physically look at it, determine what the problem is, and THEN order the unit. I hate listening to my radio!!!!! :-)

Twilight Blue/ Willow/ 5AT Sedan

Old 12-10-2003, 03:32 AM

I got my car back today. Here's what happened...
Last Wed afternoon, I brought my G in and left it over night. Thursday afternoon, I picked up my car, they fixed 2 issues (driver side chair rocking and noise from the bass area).
At the time when I picked up the car, the service manager told me that the CD unit has arrived. I was so happy that they responded so fast!! But because it arrived late, she made an appointment for me to take the car in next Tuesday.

So I dropped off my G yesterday afternoon. I told the service manager about the swirl mark on the right front fender (it was my brother in law trying to buff out the small scratch, ended up with a visible swirl mark). She said she would ask their service man about it and see what they can do.
Today, the swirl marks are gone. They buffed it out!! I was so happy that I don't have to see those marks from stupid mistakes made by someone else anymore!!
They also fixed the CD changer problem. However, they did not replace the unit. She told me that they ordered the wrong unit (which I don't believe.). But when the service man took the unit out, he saw 2 CDs stuck inside, so it was taken out and started working again.
So, someone was trying to jam the CDs in. Both of those CDs were mine and were all scratched up. The outer edge of the CDs has deep marks on them. Now the unit works in perfect condition.
I don't care much about those 2 scratched CDs. But there are some visible deep marks on the chrom area and the edges where you insert the CDs. I hate the fact that I have to see those marks like that every single day when I'm driving my G.
I'm trying to decide whether I should go back to the carwash place and ask for compensation to replace the plastic din.
Anyone has any good suggestions?

One thing though, I'm very pleased with the Sacramento Infiniti service. Fixed the chair rocking, the rattling noise around the bass area and the swirl marks, plus the CD unit. BTW, the service manager didn't charge me $5 for the loaner this time.

Old 12-11-2003, 03:08 AM

If you do ask for compensation, throw in the cost of replacing those two CD's for good measure. I'd also find out from the dealer how much the labor was to fix the CD unit (even if they didn't charge you) and throw that in. Then you can always "settle" for just the plastic console piece.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Will they replace if...

I got the F0 error as of this morning. The CD changer picker gears sound like they aren't even catching. It makes a motorized sound everytime I turn on the car whether I have the stereo turned on or not like it's trying to turn move the picker.

The question I have is that my car is no longer under warranty due to the amount of miles I've put on it. Because this is a known problem will they still replace it or am i going to be shelling out the cash for a replacement?

Any feedback or has anyone else had to tackle this after warranty expiration?

Old 05-12-2005, 04:27 AM
had a check disk error. made an online reservation on monday, they called me and said theyd order a new HU. Got a call this morning and went in this afternoon to have the new HU swapped. I only waited an hour and they even washed my car. Props to Discovery Infiniti in San Diego.