Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Honey, I blew up the G!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ damn thats a lot of good info, im copying and pasting that into my documents right now!
i think i might go with the 'good' or 'better' scenario, it seems the most practical
for me. thanks a LOT for the info man, appreciate it!

Old 09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Most welcome.

If it were me building a system for say my wife's car...

I would go with the Zapco I force amp, the ed sub and the prefab box.

Basically the "better" scenario with $200 shaved off of the cost the 4080 box. Of course, you could build the box yourself and save another 80-90 bucks.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:02 PM
MiloX 3 what did you end up making just 2 "L" type brackets to screw into the 4080's and the floor? As for your scenarios and none using a w6? Come on man he said he wanted to feel it in his chest

Just to add my .02, eD makes an amazing product when you factor in cost + warranty. I have no issues telling people to go with eD as a first choice with subs or amps.

As far as going highend with amps, I like JL's 500/1's and 1000/1's but again I cant argue with going with zapco, they make probably the best amps across the board.

But as for subs....sorry I got to go with w6's, it works out well because they are seen as a tad overkill for a Coupe's trunk especially if you go with (2) 4080 boxes, but they are a little undersized for w6's so in the end they sound pretty darn impressive. Not the cheapest option but I don't regret going with them 1 bit. They sound crisp and clean and when I crank them up they still don't break apart (I am not a huge fan of the sq from w7's though they are monsters if you just want some serious bass) Because of cost I would have thrown in the 10w6v2 in your best option with either the zapco 500.1 or a jl 500/1 depending on preference and the deal you can get locally.

I cant stress enough how important it is to try to get your hardware locally, the last thing you want to do is hunt down a small car audio shop 10 states away when your amp clips out, find a good reliable local place, build a relationship with them and go crazy

Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Meth68
MiloX 3 what did you end up making just 2 "L" type brackets to screw into the 4080's and the floor?
Yup.

As for your scenarios and none using a w6? Come on man he said he wanted to feel it in his chest
The Dub 6 is a great sub. No question. Very good recommendation.

Just to add my .02, eD makes an amazing product when you factor in cost + warranty. I have no issues telling people to go with eD as a first choice with subs or amps.
Word.

As far as going highend with amps, I like JL's 500/1's and 1000/1's but again I cant argue with going with zapco, they make probably the best amps across the board.
While I would put most of JL's subs (even the w3's) into the high performer category, I can't do the same with their amps. Not saying that there is anything wrong with them, but for the money I'd rather have a Zapco or Audison. I really think of JL amps as upper-end "consumer" amps. I'd rather have a lower line "high-end" amp.

But as for subs....sorry I got to go with w6's, it works out well because they are seen as a tad overkill for a Coupe's trunk especially if you go with (2) 4080 boxes, but they are a little undersized for w6's so in the end they sound pretty darn impressive. Not the cheapest option but I don't regret going with them 1 bit. They sound crisp and clean and when I crank them up they still don't break apart (I am not a huge fan of the sq from w7's though they are monsters if you just want some serious bass) Because of cost I would have thrown in the 10w6v2 in your best option with either the zapco 500.1 or a jl 500/1 depending on preference and the deal you can get locally.
As far as the "best" option... I still stand by the IDQ. All day long. But really... it's preference. I am probably a bit more SQ oriented.... so the w6 may be the better choice just in sheer output.

I cant stress enough how important it is to try to get your hardware locally, the last thing you want to do is hunt down a small car audio shop 10 states away when your amp clips out, find a good reliable local place, build a relationship with them and go crazy
I can't agree with you more. Buy authorized. Buy local. It will pay you so many dividends down the road.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:51 PM
For amp's I have been through everything from mcintosh (I still think the mc4000 is the best amp I have ever witnessed in person heh), usamps (gotta love those older hcca crankers!), phoenix gold (not so sure about their new products but 10+ years ago when they didn't produce any lowered models they had some sweet stuff), zapco (consistently good across the board since they have been out) and ppi (always loved their older art series line). I was in a situation where I was able to go all JL locally at extremely good pricing so I gave it a shot and I am extremely happy with my choice. I guess it's all a preference. If you round up 5 or 6 good brands it really doesn't matter which choice you go with they will all be good choices, pricing would be the relevant factor in the end. I have no complaints with my 1000/1 & 300/2, but I am sure I also wouldn't have any complaints swapping them out with some pretty zapco's.

Same goes with mids/highs, there are probably more diverse opinions on mids/highs more so then any other speaker/amp talk around. I was always big with avi, dynaudio, morel and focal. I haven't had a chance to hear dls in person but have heard from many they are extremely nice. When doing my newest install I was going dls until I heard JL's zr series mids/highs. I was never big on any jl mids/highs until I heard their new zr line. I was so impressed I was sold on the spot after hearing them in a couple demo cars.

Anyways I could go on and on but it all comes down to an opinion so I guess anyone adding their own input as long as its from personal experiences (car audio talk is huge on hear-say where you have people backing a product they have never heard or seen for their selves) At least this thread has people adding legit suggestions.

Well it's nice out so I guess its time to look into starting my brackets for my 4080s :X

Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome install! Thanks for the help thru pms.

Noticed you said you were going to pull the H701 out, did you ever complete that? I've had that in mine with the IVA-D310. Saw your controller and noticed the visual graphics. Is it active while audio is going?