Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What r u talking about? Bose speakers..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What r u talking about? Bose speakers..

I hear so much about how bad the Bose speakers sound, but I must say it sounds pretty good. Just to let you know I used to drive a 2003 Lexus ES300 with a Mark Levinson stereo system (top of the line Lexus provides), and I must say there's not that much of a difference.

It must depend on the music I guess. I listen to a lot of Led Zeppelin, Aaliyah, and some rap. All sound pretty good. Just thought I let prospective buyers know.

2004 Ivory/Willow Auto Coupe, NAV, Premium, Performance, Aero Kit with Spoiler 4-piece.

RIP babygirl

Old 02-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Re: What r u talking about? Bose speakers..

Not sure how into car audio, or any audio, that you are interested in. However, it is the agreement of the audio freaks around here, that the Bose speaker system, while not being horrid sounding, does not come through with the quality expected from a Bose system.

The worst part of the system would be the front set of speakers. The tweeter (the small speaker next to your side view mirrors), which produces the higher frequency notes in your music such as cymbals, has bad imaging and is overall weak. The woofer (the bigger speaker at the bottom of your front doors), which produces bass and mid-range frequencies, is probably the worst speaker in the car. It is too "boomy" on the low end, lacks clarity in the mid range, and is overall flat sounding. The two speakers work in conjunction with eachother, one producing one end of the frequencies and the other producing the other end. In the car audio world, they're called a set of component speakers.

If you've ever listened to a home theatre system by Bose, I think you would find it much better sound in terms of clarity and overall accurate reproduction of the music. So to your post I would say: the Bose system should not be considered a bad sound system, but rather only a slightly above average one.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:52 AM

i agree with you. theres an option when you press the audio button called svc or something. change it to HIGH and the system sounds great.

Old 02-20-2004, 01:23 AM

I have a friend who bought the new TL and the sound system is much better than our G.

2004 coupe Laser Red/Willow

Old 02-20-2004, 08:25 AM

The SCV is speed controled volume. It only turns the volume up when your car speeds up.

2003.5 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 02-20-2004, 08:43 AM

The SCV (Speed Controlled Volume? Have to check the manual) setting shouldn't change how the system sounds. I believe that it just determines how much impact your speed has on the volume level. With it off, the volume remains constant, while a high setting means that the volume increases and decreases as your speed up or slow down.

gunga

Old 02-20-2004, 09:20 AM

The bose system sucks in the opinions of audio enthusiasts such as myself. I have become used to hearing excellent sound quality from my previous custom sound systems and am therefore in the process of finishing up a complete system in my coupe.

But compared to other stock systems, its not that bad.

Old 02-21-2004, 12:18 AM

I'd have to agree with g35audioman. I had the BOSE system for the first year that I owned the car. Jazz sounded OK but HipHop, Rap, and Rock sounded awful. The number one problem with BOSE is you don't get "the lows" and you don't get "the highs" of your music. Interestingly enough, my wife's BOSE system in her Nissan Altima will absolutely blast you out of your seat with its highs and extremely resonant lows. The difference might be the Altima has two non-enclosed 6x9 subwoofers and properly crossed-over tweeters. A couple weeks ago I installed an Alpine amplifier, Polk component speakers and an Infinity Basslink subwoofer in my G35 sedan and now my music has the brightness, clarity and bass that I absolutely love. To each his own!!!!

Old 02-21-2004, 12:47 PM

I hated my Bose system, so I got rid of it the first month I had my car. After taking out the factory speakers I could see why they sounded so bad. The cheapest materials were used with very weak and small magnets. Each door speaker may be able to withstand about 30 watts max while the sub might handle up to 80 watts, hence a 200 watt system according to my window sticker.
So I replaced the door speakers with 300 watts each speaker and a 1,000 watt subwoofer. Not to mention my 3 TV screens and DVD player. Dolby Digital 5.1 sounds so nice.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:20 PM

Bose is no different then any other manufacturer. They all use cheap materials in stock audio systems that are meant for the masses. Keeps costs down and most people really cant hear a difference anyway.

Trivia: Did you know it costs bose under $1 to produce a typical 6.5" speaker for a stock car audio sound system? This is from a bose executive whom i have known for quite a while..

Old 02-21-2004, 08:44 PM
IQ9

That makes me sick. That they really don't cost them anything but its a pain in the a$$ to get something to quickly fill the gap. A Holes- I have always hated BOSE after I bought or rathre suckered into buying their 901 series...music the way BOSE wants you to hear it.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 02-21-2004, 10:47 PM

Close friend of mine told me that for bose satelitte speaker, home system, cost them 35 bucks from producing the speaker to box and ready to ship. In turn bose goes and sell it over 500. sick eh?

Majority of the people really can't tell a difference in bose system until they really listen to the after market system. Again, each people have a different ear.

g35mt

Old 02-21-2004, 11:46 PM

Gah. It makes me sick to pay 3 grand for the Life Style 35 home theatre system. I know its the biggest rip off, but it does have a crystal clear sound..

I wouldn't have gotten the Bose system in the car if it didn't come with the premium package. I mean the head unit 6-cd changer is nice, I guess, but I could take the $1200 and put in a NICE system.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:04 PM

Can you turn the Speed Control Volume off? If so does anyonone know how?

Old 02-22-2004, 04:31 PM

press the audio button until you see "SVC" Then change it from whatever its at (high, mid, etc.) to off....You do this by pressing the track buttons up or down to reach the desired setting. Hope that helps.

Shaam

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What r u talking about? Bose speakers..