Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Single 10W7-3 OR 2 x 10W6v2????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Single 10W7-3 OR 2 x 10W6v2????

heheheheh...if you plan on the pimp type of ride, then i don't think one sub will do the job. If anything, you want to get 12inch and 8 inch so that you can get good tight midbass and the extreme low end frequency.

g35mt

Old 03-05-2004, 12:43 PM

Hmm... I thought you were asking for an opinion about which sub to get. Remind me to never offer a constructive opinion to you again, even when you ask. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:59 PM

g35mt,

Interesting idea. Unfortunately I don't think the 12inch will fit in my trunk without taking out the spare. After seeing all the posts and pics on people's setups, my imaginations have been running wild. However, back to earth I'll have to work with a budget. So far I'm going to lock on a 10W7-3.

Micah,

No offense given on my above reply. I was looking for an opinion as well as some informative comments on why you came up with your opinion. Ultimately I wanted to learn from the competent people here and make my own decision. So let's clear that chip on the shoulder and enjoy our coupes.

Shibal G-Thang

'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium

Old 03-05-2004, 11:35 PM

I know everyone here has been talking about the 10" or 12" so I figured I'd throw something else into the mix... I decided to go a different route and throw 2 8w7's into my coupe. I was able to push them to the back of the trunk and the dimensions for buidling the box for the 2 8w7's worked out well without having to make any comprimises based on clearances.

Old 03-07-2004, 07:09 AM

I would say go with the 2 w6's. You can run a lower powered amp and still have higher output than 1 w7. Granted, the excursion of the w7 is extremely high and the sound quality is one of the best from a subwoofer. However, the excursion can't make up for the lack of pure cone area as the w6 is no loser in this area (xmax) either. Sound quality is probably negligible to you after reading your posts so the slightly higher sound quality of the w7 shouldn't matter. The w6's also have high sound quality as well. Also, 2 w6's would still probably cost less than 1 w7. The w7 also needs special-made boxes, which will also set you back more money.

2003.5 G35C 6MT Blk/Blk

Old 03-07-2004, 07:25 AM

Another thing since everyone is talking about boxes. Generally, ported boxes=volume and sealed boxes=sound quality. Whoever said that ported boxes can go lower is wrong. It might sound lower since the low bass hz that is usually hard to hear is amplified because of the port, or your port is tuned to a particular low frequency. Sealed boxes can easily match the "deepness" of a ported box; just build a bigger box or you can go the cheap way, which is to use polyfill. The real advantage of a ported box is more db's, and youll frequently see db dragsters use only ported boxes cuz of this. Audiophiles like myself generally use sealed boxes because they offer tighter bass and faster response. The trade-off is volume and the need for more power to achieve the same db's. However, another plus you receive by going the sealed box route is having smaller box sizes and not having to worry about issues relating to ported boxes, such as port noise, size of the box, and port tuning.
Another thing you have to realize is that we have limited trunk space. Although 1 w7 is physically smaller than 2 w6's, the mounting depth and volume requirement of the w7 is considerably higher, and so youll have to clear more room to mount your sub. If you are looking for both sound quality and db's and you want to keep your trunk space in check, I recommend going with the 2 w6's, or possibly 1 small sealed box 12 inch.
By the way, your installer doesn't know what he's talking about. The w7 should not have a problem keeping up with fast bass tracks. It has excellent response, they don't call it one of the world's best sound quality subs for nothing. Anyway, if you have any more questions, just PM me or you can reply here and wait around as I don't really come here that often.

2003.5 G35C 6MT Blk/Blk

Old 03-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Wow.. Great responses everyone. I definitely see different ideas to achieve slightly different goals. The one 12 and 8 inch idea sounds cool as well as the two 8 inch idea for those who are space conscious. I did check the sealed box volume reqs for the W6s and W7. Seems two W6s volume reqs will equal a single W7 volume req. So in that department the two sides are equal. Interesting take on cone area for the W6s. I did a price check and two W6s will run me about 100 - 150 bucks more than a single W7 with the custom box pricing about the same. I do think that the W7 should be able to keep up with the faster beat tracks since it will be in a sealed box and therefore be able to recover fairly quickly. Now only if these audio shops would stop giving me the BS and try to overcharge me.. :P

Shibal G-Thang

'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium

Old 03-10-2004, 12:04 AM

-Shibal_z

Where are you located?.. If you like you can give a call to Audio Experts in Ventura, CA. 805.642.4722, and ask to speak with James. He's very knowledgable in the field and will not give you the BS (He's my best friend so if he does let me know and I'll have a word with him). I have 2 10 W6v2's powered by a 1000/1 in a sealed enclosure in my G. I love it. The gain on the amp is tuned very low and I usually have my bass **** at the half mark so you may be alright with a 500/1. Keep in mind I still have the stock bose system (minus the sub). The stock speakers don't keep up with the bass. I plan to add a 450/4 to push my highs and mids mostlikely Focal K2's. When it's all said and done I'll post up and let everyone know how it sounds.

-Tig

One of the reasons your bass is punchier in your enclosure is you built the enclosure smaller than spec. It's one of those industry tricks to get harder quicker responding bass with out having to go to a different sub. One of the best sounding sub enclosures I've ever built consisted 2 10" Fosgate punch classics. I built the total airspace according to spec than put a divider. Only the divider was not center, making 2 different sized sealed enclosures. one sub handled the quick punch and the other handled the deeper end. The tricky part was not to have the subs blow each other out, meaning one distorting while the other was serving it's purpose.

-Kawika

P.S.
For those who care. I drive a Silver Sedan 6MT CA license plate "KRZ HAYN" = "Krazy Hawaiian". A "Shaka" is always welcome.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:06 AM

What are you looking to achieve? What are you going to power it with? What is your budget, what else are you going to put into you system? I mean if it means that you go with a 2-W7's and you've got to get a monster amp to power them, and it breaks your bank, so you end up with just bass, then what's the use? My vote is, listen to them, if a 6V2 satisfies your fancy, then go with it, after all it is your car . . .I'd recommend balancing your funds out so you can get some other stuff up front - i.e. head unit, better amps, new speakers, etc. make sure you've got it all covered - one thing true about stereo "your system is only as good as your worst component" - too bad its such a pain in the *** to upgrade the cable feeding the speakers . . . and a single 10W7 barely takes up any room in the trunk . . . it is true that (2)-W6's may require the same volume that a single W7 does, but physically, the box will still be bigger, physically it is impossible (actually it is very improbable) to fit 2 subs into 1.25-1.5 cu ft box THAT IS DECENT . . . even if you do, it aint gonna be very visually appealing . . .

205301-DSC01288s.jpg

Old 03-10-2004, 01:25 AM

hksjza, hey is that a 10w7 or 8w7 in the pic? if its the 10, i thought they dont fit in the coupe's trunk, cause thats the setup that i want... is it being powered by a 500/1 or 1000/1? that box look like it barely made it into the trunk, looks like a tight fit or no? is that box built according to the specs that it needs or is it a lil bigger, and also would 2 10 w7 fit in the g35coupe's trunk?

Old 03-10-2004, 12:36 PM

Krz_Hayn,

I'm on da east coast. I've decided to go with a single 10W7 and go with the upfront components from MB Quart. I've decided to remove the rear 6x9s and the rear coaxials. I'm looking for a tight powerful amount of bass with decent sound reproduction and a good front soundstaging. I thought about rear fills with a 6.5" midbass kit, but decided to forego that after the shop dudes mentioned potential timing issues with the crossover setups. Perhaps people here can fill me in on this. I've listened to the MBs at another shop and the sound reproduction is awesome. It also handles enough juice to totally fill the coupe cabin with sound.

The 10W7 can be fitted under the rear deck. With the 6x9's removed and the bottom plastic panel removed, there is enough room for a 10" sub to fit. The trick is to make an enclosure that will fit into that space. I highly doubt two 10W7s will fit in the trunk without removing the spare as the space requirements for the enclosure will be huge.

<font color=red>Shibal G-Thang</font color=red>
<font color=blue>'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium</font color=blue>