Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

replacing bose door speakers with infinity kappas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click on the SPACER.. You really DON'T need it, but I'd recommend it for the sake of the speakers life.. Rather spend $20 now then replacing speakers in the future.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pic, but how'd you route the Kappa speaker +/- wires out to the crossover from the speaker magnet "inside" the door? I've got my door apart right now and I just need to figure out this last piece.

I'm considering drilling a path through the inside of my wooden speaker spacer up against the door metal and then sealing it up with silicone sealant.

Originally Posted by allendoc

Agree these speakers were easy to put in. Did mine this weekend, had the adapters, quick. I put the cross over just under the window switches in the door. I was able to play with the +3 DB gain with the door panel on. I was amazed how much better it sounds now. Wow.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shdowflare
It's hard to tell from the pic, but how'd you route the Kappa speaker +/- wires out to the crossover from the speaker magnet "inside" the door? I've got my door apart right now and I just need to figure out this last piece.

I'm considering drilling a path through the inside of my wooden speaker spacer up against the door metal and then sealing it up with silicone sealant.
That's basically what I did. But I didn't drill the hole on the "flat" piece of the spacer that the speaker fits flush against (this would have been a hole in the exact direction as the mounting screws).
I drilled a small hole on the side of the spacer toward the center (parallel with the door having the hole face the crossover) and put a dab of silicone in the hole after putting everything together.
My spacers were a bit different than the ones shown in the picture though. Either way you do it as long as you don't pinch the wires you will be fine.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah I figured it out and did pretty much the same thing. How'd you mount the tweeters? Mine don't fit in the OEM location. They're too thick.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by paky786
Click on the SPACER.. You really DON'T need it, but I'd recommend it for the sake of the speakers life.. Rather spend $20 now then replacing speakers in the future.
Do you know which side you need because the spacer on ebay says:

Since different aftermarket speakers require different size mounting holes we have these spacers available with a 5.00", 5.25", 5.50", and 5.75" center mounting holes to accomodate most aftermarket 6.5" speaker.:
Thanks

Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shdowflare
Yeah I figured it out and did pretty much the same thing. How'd you mount the tweeters? Mine don't fit in the OEM location. They're too thick.
Interesting I don't recall having an issue with the tweeters really. Did you get them to work?

Originally Posted by foxx_good
Do you know which side you need because the spacer on ebay says:

Since different aftermarket speakers require different size mounting holes we have these spacers available with a 5.00", 5.25", 5.50", and 5.75" center mounting holes to accomodate most aftermarket 6.5" speaker.:
Thanks
I had the same question when I ordered mine from ZEnclosures. Mike informed me that the 5" would work with those speakers (Infinity Kappas). That's what I got and they worked fine.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by twitch
I
Hey thanks a lot i fire off my order tommorow for the spacers and kappas better sound here i come

Old 07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Did you get the Kappas in - how do they sound?

I am hearing the amp seems to be the bad guy in these Bose setups... Those of you who replaced just the front speakers and tweeters - big improvement or still sounding like a wet blanket?

Have anyone replaced just the amp and left everything else alone? Is this possible? If you did it - how does that sound? Looking for any help in figuring out how to get some better sound without going crazy...

Thanks,

Chris.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Interesting I don't recall having an issue with the tweeters really. Did you get them to work?
Yeah, I did get them installed, but as I said they were huge and could not squeee into the OEM location, so I had to custom flush mount them lower in my door just above the component woofer in the door.

I had the same question when I ordered mine from ZEnclosures. Mike informed me that the 5" would work with those speakers (Infinity Kappas). That's what I got and they worked fine.
Yep, just have to tell him exactly which model number Kappas you have, and he'll match up the spacer size for you!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM
so correct me if i am wrong....i have a 2003.5 coupe with that blose...piece of #$%!.....if i get these speakers the sound is better...is there any cons?...i would have to order 6 speaker and 2 tweets?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
tire 19

go 255/35F 275/35R

Old 08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a 10w7 sub with a jl 500/1 amp in and i think the bose speakers sound very good at high levels with the sub.
I have been looking to upgrade to the kappas just to see if I see any difference.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am preparing to upgrade my fronts (04 cpe) and using the Inifinity Ref. 6020cs.
What I have done so far is disassemble the crossover. The plastic case of the crossover is just that. It basically snaps on. You have to go around the sides and pry it off a little at a time.
Once you do that you can carefully cut 4 attachment points. Basically globs of hot glue I think. And lift the whole thing out. It is all one piece.
The board has markings for the terminal connections.
I went along the bottom of the PC board and trimmed down some of the solder leads sticking through so the tape would have a flatter surface to stick to. I would not touch the ones under the screws terminals though. Heavy terminal leads come though there and you don't want to apply to much stress to the board by trying to shorten them as they also are soldered directly to the board.
I stacked a few layers of back to back 3M adhesive to the bottom to make sure it was high enough to clear the terminal block. Adding a strip of electrical tape over the leads below the terminals.
The main reason I did all this was to reduce the overall height of the crossover. The overall difference is about 3/4". (1 5/16" vs. 3/4")
I like how allendoc did his install, but did not want to stick the crossover over the removable inner door panel. The Kappa crossover should be able to be worked in a similar fashion, but maybe the bare board without the case is thicker. I don't know.
This way it should fit in one or two areas just above the woofer (since the woofer spacer is 1"). I will update if there is a problem or I find an even better location (with pictures).

Last edited by fortified; 09-28-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Can someone with this setup Infinity kappas 60cs fill me in...Does replacing ONLY the front speaker makes a huge difference or they are about the same as keeping the stock bose system? can you really notice the difference?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tightvpkid
Can someone with this setup Infinity kappas 60cs fill me in...Does replacing ONLY the front speaker makes a huge difference or they are about the same as keeping the stock bose system? can you really notice the difference?
I don't have that setup but I can surely tell you that replacing any aftermarket speakers will have a significant difference from your old crappy nissan speakers.