Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

upgrading nav/dvd and system what is best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading nav/dvd and system what is best?

So far I have replaced out and installed the following:
-replaced all stock bose speakers with mbquart q series
-Put a sealed box JL 12w7 in trunk
-JL 1000x1 running sub (1 farad capacitor as well)
-JL 300x4 running surround
Dynomat trunk, doors etc
replaced wiring with all monster cabling and hi flow wiring
put in new rearview mirror with 5" lcd screen
put in temporary dvd player
goin to put a rear camera to feed into rearview mirror screen

that was first installment
this is what I have plans to do to finsh interior
putting in kenwood ktv-915dvd for dvd player and multimedia
kenwood nad-3100 nav system
considering kenwood center channel speaker for second din not sure about how well center channels work in cars.
-I prefer to have whole system match but only screen I know that fit in headrests is the alpine 5x8's so those are going in.
-lastly a CD-changer to replace in dash system.

I would like any other opinions as to which pieces and parts anyone else would reccommend. I am also goin to do a fiberglass box in truck, cant decide if I want to do sealed for some more flexible customization options, or slot ported for more sound.

let me know what you all think.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Re: upgrading nav/dvd and system what is best?

Very simple answer - Eclipse AVN - it is the best of everything in one double din for $2300

Old 04-01-2004, 03:25 PM

I prefer the modular extending screen type systems, I like the effect. What about the center channel does anyone have experience with these, not sure what kind of sound quality you can get out of those.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:31 PM

My next choice would be the Pioneer units. Much better navigation capablities. As far as the center channel, they work, but pretty poorly unless you have a very basic low power system.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:59 PM

seems like the kenwood nav system is better than pioneer I may be missing something but compared websites. The kenwood has a 7" screen and about 5 times more data points. I have seen several people in other posts reccommend pioneer as well.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 PM

Pioneer has the new <a href="http://www.avic-n1.com">AVIC-N1</a> that is a single din unit that plays mp3, dvd, nav, and vehicle dynamics. You can get it for about ~$1700 off ebay. I was going to get it, but the only thing I'm concerned about is swapping the nav and music cd's too much. This unit does have "memory nav" where after you put in a route, you can play a dvd or cd and the nav will continue to function, but some features are not available (like searching for a specific place) until you put the nav back in. It has > 12mil POI, which is one of the largest I've seen (probably because it's new).

However, I'm also considering the Kenwood set KVT-815DVD or KVT-915DVD with the corresponding Nav unit. This solves the nav/cd swap issue, but takes up an extra din (may not be an issue, or you can mount the nav unit somewhere else). It also costs more (probably $3200 for both with a good deal).

Both are touchscreen and have same screen resolution. Looked at Eclipse and Alpine but don't like their features as much. Personally, I'm going to Magnolia this weekend to check out the Pioneer and Kenwood units and figure out which one I want.

Almost forgot, the older Pioneer units are pretty old (maybe a refreshed unit will be coming soon) and I'd pick the Kenwood over it.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:07 PM

Alpine IVA D300 touchscreen and then the alpine nav...that's what I'm doing. Also an Alpine 12" sub and 5 channel amp and XM satellite...wha wha! hahaha
:-)~

Just got the G! :-)~

Old 04-04-2004, 08:43 PM

Where did you find info on the new alpine system. I heard there was a new alpine system coming out, I really like the touch screen for kenwood and if the alpine system is goin to have touch screen then I will probably go with that since I am putting alpine screens in my headrests and I like the whole system matching. Unfortunately I cant find any information on the new alpine system specs or anything, I tried to find it on their website. I would like to compare it to the kvc- 915dvd.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:50 PM

get an alpine catolog 2004
all info of iva-d300 in it
or do a search in yahoo!