Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Install coming up soon. Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install coming up soon. Need some advice...

Hi guys.

I have a 2006 G35x sedan. My JDM kit and dash finisher should be coming in soon, and i'm researching on the best way to do my install. I'm just doing my head unit and Sirius for now. The amps will have to be done another time.

So, i have a JVC KDAVX33 DVD unit (Single Din. i know. don't clown me!) with the dedicated Sirius tuner box for the head unit, and the SWI-JACK steering wheel control adapter.

here's what i need some help with:

1) Where to mount the sirius tuner box.

does anyone have any suggestions? i was thinking either under the passenger seat, so if i needed to reset it, i wouldn't have to take my car apart to do it.

would i have to take out the seat to do this? that sounds incredibly difficult. any better ideas?

in my last car i was able to hide it under the carpet on the passenger side where their feet would be. it was really easy to get at. is this an option in my G?

2) The sirius antenna. what's the easiest placement for it? and what's the best way to run the wire based on where i end up putting the tuner?

3) The JVC's bluetooth mic. i need to use it. it's a little adjustable boom mic that has a clip on it. i had it previously attached next to the sun visor (driver's side) in the trim in the upper left hand corner.

any ideas of how i'm going to get from here to the head unit with the mic wire? or any better places to put it?

thanks a lot

Old 06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
#3. Somebody recently installed their mic in the card slot over the driver door. I'm pretty sure he just dremelled out a small hole and hid the cabling somehow. It looked nice.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The a-pillars pull out easily to run wires from the headliner to the dash.

How big is the Sirius box? The passenger side kick panel is empty behind it and it only requires a plastic nut to remove.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:17 PM
the sirius tuner is approx. 5.07" wide, 5.03" high, 1.39" deep

think it'll fit there?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Sirius box is under the passenger side kick panel. The 5AT cars have the transmission control unit there, so space may be limited. You can mount that tuner box anywhere that doesn't get wet.

You can mount the antenna in several places - the corner of the dash, under the rear window, or outside the car.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
There's a lot of room there, even with the transmission control unit so you should be fine.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 PM
ok, good. so assuming i'm going to stick the tuner in the kick panel...

what's the best path for getting the sirius antenna to the outside of my car? and what about the path for the cable from the tuner to my head unit?

i really need to put it outside because i can't deal with my signal dropping out on me at all.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Pax kick panel to HU is easy. There are a couple of spots to zip tie and keep it away from their feet and then it can be run through the side of the console.

I can't help with the sat antenna other than through the seal for the back glass.