Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Alarm and Security Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm and Security Question

Got my 2004 6mt back from the shop yesterday after almost losing it to a thief. The car was a week old when broken. The would be theif put a hole through the door and busted the lock and handle...A-sh-le.

Anyway the body shop did a great job on the car, but it leaves me with a question.

I was checking the car over when i started to test the window and alarm functions. After activating the alarm on the key fob what would it take to set the alarm off? I activate the alarm and put my key in the door, turn it, and open and the alarm doesn't go off. Same when activated from the inside and simply pull the handle. Is my alarm working properly? Is this simply because the key has a microchip in it? Would appreciate some feedback before I accuse the body shop of screwing it up.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Re: Alarm and Security Question

I believe when you put the key in the door and unlock it, it automatically disarms the alarm. Not sure why it wouldn't trigger if you arm it and open it from the inside though. Have you tried popping the hood when it's armed to see if that sets it off?

Old 05-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Sound Advice

Personally I think factory alarms are worthless as alarms. All they really are is a keyless entry system. I just put a Viper 791 with the autostart, roll up windows and a responder remote on my Tahoe and now I have to put one on my G.

With the heat in SoCal right now it is nice to come out to a car that is already started and has the AC on and the windows down.

Do you hear me?

Old 05-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Black 2004 G35 6MT, chrome wheels, black, still pristine

Good choice of alarm. This is what I'm about to purchase as well - and I'm going to add the GPS system to it too, more than likely. It adds a whole other dimension to the security of this system. Sorry to hear about the car break-in. My previous car (no doubt, a Prelude - one of the most broken-into cars in America) had a prestige alarm, but unless it notifies you when you're not close enough to hear the alarm (or at night when you're sleeping, which was my case), it just makes noise... kinda like a tree that falls in the forest with no one around..... anywho....

The Bamadog
BAMADOG.COM
2004 G35 Coupe - Black/Black 6MT - Chrome 7-Spoke Wheels - Aero Kit & Package w/spoiler - Tint - Alpine System - Body Side Molding

Old 05-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The key cylinder is wired directly to the BCM, so when you unlock the door with the key it will disarm the alarm (vulnerable spot). To test your alarm, roll your windows down. Arm the alarm. The LED should light solid. Wait about 30 seconds until it starts flashing slowly. Open the door (using the inside handle), the hood, or the trunk.

If your alarm is working then it should go off! If you arm the alarm and the LED NEVER goes solid then you have a zone tripped - I've heard of bad hood pins - but I'm not sure if the rest of the system will operate correctly.

Kevin
----------------------------------------------------------------
04 Diamond Graphite Coupe - FULLY loaded
Windows up with OEM Remote
RE Short Shifter // Z Tube

Old 05-04-2004, 09:05 PM

You have no alarm all it is a keyless entry system, please don't get that false of security sense. If you a want a real security system and I mean real and you are in Ny area I can Install one. I'm Viper authorized dealer and If you buy an alarm system from me I'll throw in free window roll-ups.

OWNER OF MOBILE ELECTRONICS OF NY
THE BEST CUSTOM JOBS FOR ALARMS, REMOTE STARTS, AUDIO SYSTEMS, MOBILE VIDEO, NAVIGATION SYSTEM
ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME AT VSOKOLOV@HOTMAIL.COM

Old 05-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Banned

Vsokolov,

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe all G35s do come with factory alarms. They provide door, hood, and trunk zones, and starting is prevented by the transponder system. Throw in free window controls? Wow, you are generous, considering all you need is a $2 relay...

I've installed countless DEI systems and I believe that the factory security system on the G is adequate for anyone who doesn't want/need remote starting capabilities (from long distances). The major weakness of the G35 system, like all other factory systems, is the poor transmitter range. But, at least you don't have an ugly Viper antenna on your windshield!

If you think your factory security system is vulnerable there are a few things you can do:

1. add either (Or all) a shock sensor / glass sensor / motion sensor by following the DIY on this site

2. disconnect the wire that runs from the drivers door cylinder to the power window module

I haven't performed either of these mods on my car. Like I said, I feel the system is adequate.

Kevin

Old 05-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Banned

In case any of you were wondering, here is how to hook up the window controls to an aftermarket alarm

This should only be used if you only have 1 AUX channel that outputs a signal for as long as you hold the button down (Validity). When the system is armed and you hold the AUX button the windows will go up, with the system disarmed the windows will go down when holding the AUX button. This is the simplest way to do this, there are better, more expensive ways to do the same thing.

NOTE: The door lock wires are INSIDE the drivers door. This is the ONLY place to get them because they are turned into digital communications at the Power Window module. If you are going to hook up keyless you might as well buy a $2 relay and hook up window control!

Kevin

245973-windowrollupalarm.GIF

Old 05-05-2004, 02:47 PM

I appreciate the offer. I am in N Jersey about 20 minutes from the city. Give me an idea what i would be in for in terms of price. I believe there is a 591 system from viper, 791 too but to expensive. Send me a pm if you like

Thanks

Old 05-05-2004, 06:39 PM

KPierson

I do it only by pressing lock buton or AUX button once. can you do it, and factory alarms are easy to bypass by breaking the glass and pulling ignition lock.

OWNER OF MOBILE ELECTRONICS OF NY
THE BEST CUSTOM JOBS FOR ALARMS, REMOTE STARTS, AUDIO SYSTEMS, MOBILE VIDEO, NAVIGATION SYSTEM
ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME AT VSOKOLOV@HOTMAIL.COM