Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Yes, i read the sticky but...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, i read the sticky but...

I still can't find much information on what my options are to add a amplifier and a sub to my 05 non bose sedan. To me it cant be that difficult but with all the non bose, bose then sedan vs coupe questions that i see flying around i am all kinds of confused. Can anyone direct me in the right direction to what exactly is needed to get my amp hooked up?

Old 12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I actually have the exact same question (except mine's a coupe) and I read the sticky also. Does anyone have a simple answer?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:06 PM
what you need is a Line Output Converter (L.O.C.) some amplifiers have them built into them. on amps they call it a high level input.
What it does is take the signal going from the deck and translates into a usable signal for an amp
aftermarket LOCs take the speaker wire input and transfer that to RCA (standard connection on aftermarket amps) and that will take care of your audio signal
passed that you need power and ground wire which is determined by the amp's current consumption. avg sizes are 4 and 8 guage, 4 is for larger amps

Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
what you need is a Line Output Converter (L.O.C.) some amplifiers have them built into them. on amps they call it a high level input.
What it does is take the signal going from the deck and translates into a usable signal for an amp
aftermarket LOCs take the speaker wire input and transfer that to RCA (standard connection on aftermarket amps) and that will take care of your audio signal
passed that you need power and ground wire which is determined by the amp's current consumption. avg sizes are 4 and 8 guage, 4 is for larger amps
Thanks for the help!

Is there a benefit to having an LOC versus an amp with a high level input?

And what speaker connection is used? I've never seen the back of the HU. Are there speaker inputs for this purpose or do you have to use one of the ones already being used for the stock speakers?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 PM
depends on the LOC you use. there is hardcore units like the jl cleansweep, there's one by mtx called the Re-Q, those are 2 of the higher end ones that will be significantly more expensive than the cheapy ones. they'll offer you a better signal with less distortion, or damagable signal. I suggest getting the signal right from the amp in the trunk. it's more of a pain in the *** than most think.
somewhere there is a post about the amp inputs wiring. someone posted up the colours. do a search, for amp inputs.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 AM
stupid question but is high level input the same as high voltage capability? (400 mV - 6,5 V)???

Old 12-23-2008, 01:53 PM
nope. high voltage capability is the amount that the deck/LOC is able to output OR the amp's ability to handle a signal (a range would give you a minimum and maximum on the amp's capabilities)

Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 PM
I am guessing my amp does not have this built in. I have read several threads discussing the significance of whether the JL cleansweep or MTX re-q offer any significant SQ gains from the HU. From what i have read these have more of an impact on the bose setup rather than the non bose?????

Now i am wondering since i just want to add a amp and a sub to the stock non bose setup would i notice a significant difference in sound quality from using one of the units above or something like that vs a plain LOC?

Old 12-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by HasaG
Now i am wondering since i just want to add a amp and a sub to the stock non bose setup would i notice a significant difference in sound quality from using one of the units above or something like that vs a plain LOC?
I have the exact same question. I just want some extra bass with as little hassle (expense) as possible.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:18 AM
if you want a lil extra bass doin't bother with the re-q or the cleansweep... they're for amping speakers really.
you can use a basic LOC I'd recommend getting one with an adjustable gain for tuning ability

Old 01-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Im new to this forum and I searched the stickies to find an answer to my question but no luck. I have a 05 sedan with a non-bose HU. I want to add an aftermarket amp and sub, probably just one 10" for a little extra thump, already installed components in the front and rear,I understand the whole L.O.C. thing, but my question is what wire do I tap into. Is the wiring on the non-bose unit the same as the bose unit? what i mean by that is, is there a speaker wire in the rear that is simply not connected to anything, like the wire that would normally be hooked to the bose sub? and if so can i just tap into that. Hope that makes sense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The non-Bose cars do not have the Bose harness in the trunk. To get the signal for the amp, you have to tap into the speaker wire somewhere - behind the head unit, at the speakers, or before they go into the molex connector to go into the door.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 PM
thanks. I did a little more research and thats what i figured, glad to have confirmation.