Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Garmin Nuvi 760 Install with pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 760 Install with pics

So ever since I got my G I wished I had a navi unit...I didn't really feel like doing a massive install (double din etc.) and always liked the smaller navi units but could never find just the right one...
so when I won a navi unit at our company Christmas party this year I was eager to get it mounted just right into the G...
I found some good threads in this section on other peoples navi installs and decided to take the dash apart and run the cable through cubby hole on top.
All in all I think it turned out pretty good, I'm pretty happy with the result...the only bad thing that happened was I used too much Sumo Glue on the mount and glued the clicker part on the mount closed, so I had to sand it down and use velcro on the back of the navi unit and the mount...
but I gotta say Sumo Glue FTW!

I ran the cable along the side of the centre console and around the back:

Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
That's really nice, if I didn't go the DD route I probably would have done the same.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Kazaam
That's really nice, if I didn't go the DD route I probably would have done the same.
The DD Was just looking waaay too complicated...Lots of wires, lots of parts...I have alot of respect for people who can do that kind of DIY.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 AM
wow very clean!! I really like it.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeButcher
The DD Was just looking waaay too complicated...Lots of wires, lots of parts...I have alot of respect for people who can do that kind of DIY.
its really not as hard as it looks

but then agian ive installed in just about every car

Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
NICE! Real clean!
I was thinking about doing the same..
So let me get this straight you just glued the mount to the cubbie door?
Does the door close okay?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Can we get a qucik writen DIY because ive got this saem exact unit and id like to mount it exactly where you have it and run the cable through the center.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Install looks good, but I wouldn't have run the cable all the way to the center console. You can hardwire an extra cig outlet to the back of the dash outlet by simply purchasing an outlet extender, cutting off the male end, and then wiring it to the back of the outlet on the dash. There are 2 screws on the back of the outlet for the pos and neg leads which makes it super easy to hardwire, and then you can conceal the outlet and plug behind the ashtray.

Good work though

Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by MJION
NICE! Real clean!
I was thinking about doing the same..
So let me get this straight you just glued the mount to the cubbie door?
Does the door close okay?
Yep, SUmo Glue worked great, I had to hold it for an hour until it set, but then I just used painters tape to holde it in place over night until it realllly set, now the mount would break before it ever cam off, it really is that strong.

The door closes just fine...the navi unit just touches on the way down, but it's completely concealed when I leave the car, no need to take it out and put it away.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by mcaron
Can we get a qucik writen DIY because ive got this saem exact unit and id like to mount it exactly where you have it and run the cable through the center.
I basically followed the do it yourself IPOD sticky that's at the top of the forum to get the dash off. the cable comes out the side and down the centre...it'll be easier if I take some pics...I'll see if I can get more.

Taking the dash apart is the hardest part though, well that and cutting the hole in the cubby...

Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Install looks good, but I wouldn't have run the cable all the way to the center console. You can hardwire an extra cig outlet to the back of the dash outlet by simply purchasing an outlet extender, cutting off the male end, and then wiring it to the back of the outlet on the dash. There are 2 screws on the back of the outlet for the pos and neg leads which makes it super easy to hardwire, and then you can conceal the outlet and plug behind the ashtray.

Good work though
YEp, Thought about that but I'm really no good with wires and electrical. I agree though, the more concealed the better!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 PM
looks cool.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice man. Very clean install. Looks liek it's supposed to be there. I like the way you used that empty space that infiniti puts there if you don't get the Nav screen. I never really understood why they put that there. I guess this is why. Good Job man.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
i got my nuvi in there as well. for me, drilling the hole was the biggest pain... i on the other hand ran the line underneath the shifter console area and just use the passenger side power outlet. whoever that see's the navi in the cubby gets jealous that they don't have anywhere to mount their navi in their car~

Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
interesting, it looks like you have dual zone climate control but no premium package. did you replace the radio at some point, or solder in your own dual button?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garmin Nuvi 760 Install with pics