Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

No Sound ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
No Sound ???

I was hoping someone could give me an idea if this is a problem from the head unit or my speakers. Or if anyone has experienced it. I have an 06 Coupe, mt. I purchased it brand new, as soon as I got it I had all 6 speakers replaced with Alpines, an amp and sub installed. For the past 2 years it's never had any problems. I mainly listen to CD's. It's just started this weird thing were the head unit shows the cd advancing, playing with no problem but I have no sound for about 1-4 min. after I start the car and start driving. This morning it played all the way to work then switched cd's and after about 1 min into the cd it just went quiet. I ejected the cd and re-inserted it and it takes it no problem, it also shows the numbers advancing. I tried different modes, radio and sat. still no sound. My question is does this sound like a wiring problem to the speakers or the head unit acting up? I don't want to look like a dumb girl and drive all the way to the dealer (100 miles away) and have it be the speakers. But I'm concerned the stereo shop will charge me a fortune for looking at it and it won't be the speakers. Hope this makes sense, thank you for any help.
Lisa

Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. is it a factory radio?
2. where did you get the speakers replaced?
3. are you able to take your door panels apart with confidence?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
1. is it a factory radio?
2. where did you get the speakers replaced?
3. are you able to take your door panels apart with confidence?
1. Yes, I only had the speakers/amp/sub installed, the radio is factory.

2. One problem is I had the stereo store I've dealt with for many years do the install. Last year he retired and sold the business, so if I take it back to them it will be someone completely different. I think one of the installers might still be employed there, I need to find out.

3. Not really, I'm a little scared. I guess if I look closely or find a DIY guide I could do it.

I've actually never seen the set up with the sub and amp. They removed the spare and put a false bottom in the trunk and it's all fastened securely. I should probably take that off and see if it's an obvious loose wire or something?

Lisa

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
are the speakers amplified from an aftermarket amp OR are they running off the factory power?

if sound goes in and out chances are there's a problem with one of the speakers. could be blown could be that one of the connectors is coming off. but it's likely a problem with the speakers. I'd take it back to the shop ask them if they have lifetime warranty on the install portion, if they do, GREAT if not. ask them how much it would be to get your speakers looked at to see if they're blown or grounding out. If they are running off factory power, chances are it will take longer, if they're running off an aftermarket amp it will take significantly less time (thus cheaper).

If you have an aftermarket amp powering the speakers and you have a digital multimeter I can walk you through how to check and see if your speakers are alright from the amp. factory power takes waaaay too much time to explain.

if you don't know the easy way to find out is if you've got 2 amps in your false floor.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
When I left the office this afternoon it didn't have any sound again, I tried using the bluetooth and it also has no sound. It came on after about 5 minutes of driving. I think I will take the floor up this weekend and see if anything is obvious, my daughters fiance is pretty good with stereo stuff so I might have him look at it with me. If nothing stands out I will leave the equip. exposed and take it to the stereo store. The amp and all speakers are after market, the head unit with navigation is the only factory part. I've actually never seen whats installed, I trusted the guy who did it since he had done every car, boat and rv we have with excellent results. I hope the guy who bought his business is as good. Thank you for your help, I will check back after this weekend when I have a peak inside.
Lisa

Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My guess is that the problem is with the head unit (radio) since they are known to have issues with the sound on the CD player going out while the radio works.

If you take it to the dealer, they will tell you that your aftermarket amp, subs and speakers probably caused the problem and they won't fix it under warranty. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, then maybe you will have a better chance of getting it fixed. Just be prepared.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 PM
My daughters fiancee looked at it this afternoon and it looks like the amps aren't getting any power. I'm going to take it into the stereo shop and have them take a look. He said something about the connection at the head unit possibly being loose or somehow bad. Thank you guys for the help. I'll report back when I know for sure.
Lisa

Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 AM
good luck

Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are the amps not getting power at the 12v+ or are they not getting power at the remote turn on? Sounds like a pretty easy fix either way. I would check the fuse under the hood, near the battery (or at least it SHOULD be near the battery) first, to try to save yourself a trip.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky-G
Are the amps not getting power at the 12v+ or are they not getting power at the remote turn on? Sounds like a pretty easy fix either way. I would check the fuse under the hood, near the battery (or at least it SHOULD be near the battery) first, to try to save yourself a trip.
We're thinking it's at the remote turn on. I called the stereo place this morning and he said to stop in and he will take a quick look to see if it's at the amps. I took the false floor out left everything open for easy access. He said if it's at the head unit connection he will schedule an appt. to fix it sometime later this week. First comment from him was "oh, those cars are a pain to get into". I just laughed. He was really nice and I'll know more this afternoon.
Lisa