Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Weakest part of 2003 Bose audio system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weakest part of 2003 Bose audio system?

I'm starting to have problems with my HVAC and stereo in my '03 G35 sedan. So it looks like I'm going to have to replace everything with a JDM DD kit, A/C controller, etc.

My question to those of you that have replaced their entire sytems,... What (in your opinion) is the weakest part of the Bose sound system? The HU? the Amp? the speakers?

The reason for my question. I was planning on replacing the HU, running the stock amp and speakers, and replacing the factory sub with a seperate amp (connected to the new HUs sub pre-amp outs) and a new 10" or 12" sub in a box. I assumed the premium Bose amp and speakers, given their reputation, would sound much better with an improved HU. But after reading a thread on replacing the speakers, I am questioning that logic.

I don't want to spend a ton of money but if I'm going to be shelling out close to $500 for the dash kit and HU, I want to make sure the thing sounds good. What's your take on the Bose Premium sound system?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
I think the AMP is the weakest part.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I changed out my HU and amp and kept the stock bose speakers. I waited to swap out the bose speakers since I didn't want to spend any more money than i had to either.

Overall, the sound is much better than stock. IMO, the weakest part is the bose amp. Even the cheapest of all speakers can sound decent with a good amp.

I tried just upgrading just the HU and it didn't like the bose amp too well. It made noises, pops, and sound quality seemed more distorted. I also suggest running all new audio rca cables when installing the new amp. The stock low-level audio signal wires for the bose amp induced too much noise.

Last edited by Deezflip; 07-02-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming.

Does anyone know what the specs are on the amp? I haven't been able to find them.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I'd say the headunit
as soon as you swap that out there's an IMMEDIATE difference in the overall volume and clarity of the sound. It's actually a night and day difference.
If you're looking to replace just one thing... the deck definitely

Old 07-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
My car has the Bose, my wife's an aftermarket HU.

They sound almost identical up until volume starts getting loud, at which point the sub from the Bose helps the system sound better.

And since HU failure is a common problem on this board, my vote definitely goes to the head unit.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock HU paired with a good amp is worlds better.

The stock bose amp is a tiny piece of crap that weighs about 1/2 lb and is the size of a hard drive

Old 07-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the Bose amp is terrible. It's low powered and as the volume increases past about 20, the bass decreases.

Since you're getting an amp for the sub, just get a 5 channel amp and power the sub and the interior speakers. You can then replace the front speakers as money permits.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Good advice guys. Does anyone have the specs for the Bose amp that come in the cars? Keep all the ideas coming.

Gilley,

I was thinking along those lines too.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by TroysG
I'd say the headunit
as soon as you swap that out there's an IMMEDIATE difference in the overall volume and clarity of the sound. It's actually a night and day difference.
can't agree with Troy more here...

I had both a Pioneer headunit and a kenwood headunit in the same car (2k6 Gx) and the sound was night and day from stock -- both units (ken and pio) sounded equally great... the system gets plenty loud and remains clear with the OEM bose amp and speakers.

oh, and when troy posts on this forum -- i listen, it's definitely worth my while

Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM
thanks man I appreciate the feedback

Old 07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by slia67
Good advice guys. Does anyone have the specs for the Bose amp that come in the cars? Keep all the ideas coming.

Gilley,

I was thinking along those lines too.
the only info i can find on the coupe's bose system...which is mostly all crap

Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
I'd say the headunit
The sticky in this section "Upgrading bose system while keeping stock HU " says the exact opposite. It states that changing the HU gives the least improvements compared to amp or speakers ????

Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by randyc
The sticky in this section "Upgrading bose system while keeping stock HU " says the exact opposite. It states that changing the HU gives the least improvements compared to amp or speakers ????
the sticky is correct. The bass roll off above 22 volume and craptacular equalization are done by the bose amp not the headunit. The weak link is the amp followed by the speakers. The HU is a distant 3rd.

I will put my kappas and JL A6450 amp with the stock HU up against any HU on the planet using the stock speakers and the blose amp and I will win that battle.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I originally replaced my HU with a Pioneer and kept the stock amp/speakers and was very unsatisfied. I’ve since replaced amp and speakers but if I were to do it all over again I would replace the amp and speakers first if I had to decide on one over the other. The amp is really a POS. I think someone above described it well, it really looks like a old HD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weakest part of 2003 Bose audio system?