Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

USA Spec Pa15-NIS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey smash,

Just saw your post today. I had the same issue when I installed the pa11nis. I posted this on another thread to help others who might have experienced the same problem. The "hiss" is probably not a ground issue, it is a problem with the IPOD cable. You can call USA-SPEC and get a replacement. Here is my old post:

I thought I would share my experience. It was so helpful to be able to search this site and find the many posts of others experiences and pictures.

After researching this I decided to purchase and install the USA-SPEC in my 2005 G35 sedan. It sounds crystal clear and works very well. $149.95 from Crutchfield -vs- $60.00 for an FM transmitter which works horribly!

I called several audio shops (they all wanted $125.00 to instal this device). That is just ridiculous!!! Many are understandably afraid to tear apart their 15-30K car dash. I have installed many car stereos in my vehicles over the years and was apprehensive at first (due to the complexity of the dash compared to my previous toyotas and nissan). Howere the instal is easy if you are patient and take your time. There are several sites which give you some good pictures and info. Here is one of the best
http://www.myg35mods.com/tutorials/ipod/index.html

The device is plug and play. You unplug the 12 pin CD changer/Sat radio cable (this remains unplugged, which is why you cannot have Sat Radio or a factory trunk CD changer with this device). Unplug the 10 pin power cable and replace it with the 10 pin cable from the USA-SPEC, then you plug the 10 pin power cable into the USA-SPEC wiring harness. The instructions come with the device, very easy and you do not need to run a power or ground. You can even control the device and your IPOD via your steering wheel.

A couple of caveats: 1. Cannot run with Factory SAT Radio or trunk CD changer. 2. The DIP switch settings were a little difficult to understand, the instructions were not clear. (I set both of mine in the off position) I can control the IPOD through the steering wheel/radio buttons, control it via the IPOD controls, and also use the Auxillary input to run another device)
3. When I first installed the device I had a constant annoying "hum/buzz" when using my IPHONE 3g (did not occur when I use my IPOD classic), this only happened when the device was charging (problem with the cable). I called the tech support at USA-SPEC and they immediately sent me a replacement cable (which works fine with no problems).

here are the numbers on the cable so you can check to see if your cable is compatible with the IPHONE 3G.

original cable: CB-PA85 90285H1 **constant buzz when charging IPHONE**
replacement cable: CB-PA85 90716H2 **works great**

Here are some pictures, not the best but may give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

I am not an expert but let me know if your have any questions. I do have more pictures but am trying to figure out how to upload more than these three.
Attached Thumbnails

Hope this helps. If you search you should be able to find the other thread with pictures of the cable and the serial #.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chobble19
silly question...can this play audio from youtube and the sirius app on the iphones?
Yes, if you are in Direct Mode you can listen to Pandora etc.. Next/Prev buttons won't work - you have to use the iPhone for that.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi SABBAX,

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately that's not the problem I'm seeing. I have hiss even w/o the USA Spec unit connected (and w/o iPod cable attached).

See the image below. There are two harnesses. One [smaller] is a replacement of the SAT cable that goes from the Trunk. Second [larger] splits your stock power etc.

Just as soon as I plug in the larger harness I immediately get the hiss w/o even USA Spec Unit connected or the iPod dock. I've tried a few different cabling so I think it's something with my stock wiring etc..

But really, like I've mentioned I can live with this hiss because the only time it's noticeable is when the key is in Axillary mode with fans off. I bet some people have the same problem, but simply didn't notice it. I wish I didn't notice it in the first place - would have saved myself a lot of time.. Had the dash dissembled and the car in the garage for 2 weeks, waiting to try out a few replacement units which had the same results.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM
2005 G35 without BOSE

Will this work without the BOSE system? And SABBAX, the link you posted for the instructions installing the ipod integration..the installation is for the PAC. Do I follow the same instructions installing the USA SPEC? I purchased the USA SPEC PA5-NIS from ebay. Hopefully everything works..never really done anything like this before .

Old 11-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Cheddarage,

I'm not sure but I think you need to have the BOSE system to use the USA-SPEC. The install is easy as long as you are careful and take your time. The link I posted is simply to show you how to take the dash apart and get to the head unit. Once this is done it is simply plug and play. You unplug the connectors from the back of the unit and plug in the USA-SPEC. Just take your time and you should be fine. If you are really uncertain just take it to a professional. It's worth the money not to have to worry about it. Good Luck!

Old 11-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by SABBAX
Cheddarage,

I'm not sure but I think you need to have the BOSE system to use the USA-SPEC. The install is easy as long as you are careful and take your time. The link I posted is simply to show you how to take the dash apart and get to the head unit. Once this is done it is simply plug and play. You unplug the connectors from the back of the unit and plug in the USA-SPEC. Just take your time and you should be fine. If you are really uncertain just take it to a professional. It's worth the money not to have to worry about it. Good Luck!
No you don't need Bose to use this. Go to USA Spec website for complete list of supported cars. Or call them up.

I definitely recommend this vs PAC or iSimple.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by smash
No you don't need Bose to use this. Go to USA Spec website for complete list of supported cars. Or call them up.

I definitely recommend this vs PAC or iSimple.
Oo ok. Thanks for all the great information! I found the PA15-INF on crutchfield for a whopping 159.99 but I found the PA15-NIS on ebay for 40 bucks less. Will the PA15-NIS work just the same as PA15-INF? I wanted to call USA SPEC but they have no number which I can find. I also tried emailing them but for some reason it wouldn't send. Once again, thanks for all your helpful information. I can't stand another minute in my car with music from my iphone!!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM
NIS is the same as INF. I have NIS. However I don't suggest buying on eBay. On USA Spec website they have a list of official retailers. They will only honor warranty from these stores

Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 PM
have any of you experienced loss of bass using these kits? i bought the peripheral pxamg kit and it makes the bass sound soft when connecting to the ipod. when i play a mp3/cd it sounds fine.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 PM
The PA15-INF has a longer cable and is meant for a trunk installation

Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
I am getting ready to install this in my wife's Infiniti as a Christmas gift. It seems that most are installing this in the dash, rather than through the trunk. I am curious why? I have seen write ups for both methods, and the trunk seems like there would be less chance of messing something up, although both seem relatively simple. Is one method better than the other? Is it just the location of the unit can be in the dash as compared to under the rear seat?

Thanks for your input. I hope to install this weekend if I can get the car from her.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I think I read in the spec that it's ok to install in the Trunk. You should be ok, but where are you gonna store the iPod? If you plan on leaving it in the Trunk at all times this should work fine for you and yes this will save you a bunch of pain of taking the dash apart.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by smash
Got my PA15-NIS today. Works great on '04 Bose w/o Sat. Both Folder+Direct and Playlist+Direct modes. However, both have cons.

In neither mode, is the default "Direct Control" - you have to manually switch to the correct Playlist. In Folder+Direct mode, the steering-wheel control doesn't skip to next song. Does something else and you gotta hold it for 2+ sec. Track info [names] seem to kinda work but it's really pathetic. Only got it to show first part of Artist name and you have to hit a bunch of buttons to do that - so kind of useless, for me anyway.

I opted to use Playlist+Direct Mode. Steering wheel control works great, sound quality is very impressive and my disconnect issue is gone from PA11-NIS.

You do actually need to read the instructions to set the jumpers properly [depends on the mode you like]. The part about setting up Folder mode sounds pretty crazy - none of the buttons they describe are on my car [names must be different making it impossible if you did want to set it up].

Dash was a pain in the a$$ to disassemble, I hope I don't have to do it again. You know why Infinity did that though - to make it more theft protected. By the way, if you just have an old iPod, you can mount this in your trunk and leave the iPod there w/o taking apart the dash.

Overall, I'm quite happy BUT I can not do anything about the darn humming sound. It's caused by the wires not being grounded well enough I presume. With stereo turned off [but key in ignition] and even with USA Spec unit disconnected - just wires properly connected to the HU, I get this very quiet [but still noticeable] hiss from all speakers. Very annoying. PA11-NIS which I tried also had that.

Will call USA Spec guys tomorrow, I read some people had luck with noise filters. I hope I don't have to live with this hiss..
Smash, I have an 03 coupe and installing the USA Spec Pa 15nis. I like you am pretty confused by the dip switch thing. I am thinking of setting it up as you did, what position did you put the switches please?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
You have PA15 not PA11 right? because the dipswitches are completly different. I have mine set for Direct + Playlist mode. You need to check the spec - it clearly tells you how to set the switches. If I recall correctly it's 3 down..

BTW I'm using mine with the iPhone. Most of the time USA Spec unit will remember where you left off, but often when you start the car and plug in the phone it skips back to the 1st son I the playlist. Kind of a pain..

Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Picking mine up today and installing tomorrow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: USA Spec Pa15-NIS