Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help. Molex wiring catastrophe.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. Molex wiring catastrophe.

So I was running my speaker wires to the door (passenger side) -- And I was a little impatient. I drilled through the molex and accidentally cut 2 wires. The wires were blue (with spots) and a green (with spots). Unfortunately I cut them too close to the molex, so they are practically unusable. I spliced the cut wires and ran them to the molex (door side) and attached them to their designated partners. I plugged the molexs' in again but the window doesn't work. Every single wire inside the molex is connected--- could is possibly be the window motor going out through this process? Does anyone know what the Green and Blue wires are for? I know for a fact the wires do NOT run to the window motor supply (more reason for me to think the motor is out) and they only run to the door switch. ANY insight would be appreciated... This is a mess and bringing it to the dealership would be embarrassing and expensive.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
make sure you check all your fuses.... it's possible that you blew one

good luck!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 AM
Any idea on what fuse is for the passenger side window? I checked the driver's side fuses and the fuses by the battery-- but I couldn't find anything that had to deal with the windows. I have a 05' coupe.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
make sure that both door window switches are hooked up...when i did my doors, if i had one side hooked up but the other one wasn't, it wouldn't work...

Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
thats true, I had the same issue for about 30 sec

make sure everything is wired/pugged back toghter in both doors

Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
thats true, I had the same issue for about 30 sec

make sure everything is wired/pugged back toghter in both doors
The right window and lock work fine, everything is hooked up on the other door. I think its the motor... just figures it would coincidentally go out while I was doing this.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
is there anything else not working on the car...i.e. when you turn it on, does everything else work, like all the accessories?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by mattyjman
is there anything else not working on the car...i.e. when you turn it on, does everything else work, like all the accessories?
The backlight to the clock went out as well, but that is it. I highly doubt the two are correlated though.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 PM
sounds like something else, if the clock and the motor don't work...as far as solutions, i don't have any... i would double check the fuses on the driver side...they include a spare, and this may seem tedious but it might be beneficial for you to pull out each fuse one by one and see with the spare if anything changes...

after that, i would tap into the wires somehow to see if the motor works with a battery or something...

i know it's not much help, i'm out of suggestions. perhaps someone else could chime in

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Any suggestions help. I'll do the battery thing and see what that brings me. I know the G's have problems with their window motors going out... but I just find it awkward that it would do it at this point in time. Maybe something short-circuited when I reconnected the negative battery terminal or cut those wires? Who knows... I'm going by the dealership tomorrow to see whats up. I appreciate your help and suggestions.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's the motor - I think you've messed something up.

Going to the dealership is going to be EXPENSIVE. I would guess they want to replace the entire wire harness (that's the only way they know how to fix stuff).

The relays to control the power windows are in each door, so there arn't a lot of wires to mess with here. There is only one fuse for both power windows, since the power windows are are actually powered by the BCM (through a 10A fuse labeled 18).

In the passenger door there are only three wires to be concerened with - a white 12vdc constant wire, a yellow serial link between the two doors, and a black ground. If you take the door panel of you should be able to meter each of these wires to make sure they have not been compromised.

I could not find any mention of a blue or green wire inside the passenger door - but, since you didn't mention the year or body style of your car I just assumed you have an '04 coupe (like me). If you have any other year, or a sedan then I just wasted about 20 mintues of my time looking all this info up.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned
Also, it would be nice to know if you have a bose system or not.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry for not mentioning earlier. I have a 05 coupe with the bose system (which is now out). I replaced the motor, to no avail- you were right. I called the dealer about the fuses (before I read this) and you were right- they suggested replacing the entire molex harness ($$$$). I just recently noticed that the door light does not work as well, so I think I am not getting any power what so ever. I'm going to meter the male molex connector to see if the power is going to it, then the female once they are connected. This is getting very aggravating.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
have you taken the doors off to help you see??

have someone help you take them off

the doors arent to heavy but they arent light

Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned
For the '05 I found a green wire and a blue wire - the blue wire is for the speaker and the green wire is the step lamp. However, these wires were both on the DOOR side, not the cabin side. On the cabin side they are different colors (in the manual at least).

Again, I would test what I posted above - make sure your white wire to your black wire is 12vdc and that the yellow serial link has voltage on it whenever you try to lower the window. Do these tests AT the passenger switch.

I may have a harness for cheap if you want to replace it - it would be out of an '05 6mt non navi G35 coupe. $150 shipped and it's yours.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help. Molex wiring catastrophe.