Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

how do i fix this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
how do i fix this

long story but please read because i need help...

so heres the story. i bought this sub form a dealer on an audio forum. the dealer worked or owned a audio shop or something along those lines. anyways. he had FI *brand of sub* built his shop 6 FI SSD subs. they used them for about a year. but never pushed them to hard supposidly. well he decided to sell them on the forum. i bought one. i received it today. everything looked ok. *no i did not inspect it with a fine tooth comb as i shouldnt have to* i put it in the box that i got for it. i hooked up my amp. turned my stereo on and started to listen to a song to hear how my new sub sounded. for the first about 30 seconds it sounded awesome. then it started making a weird popping noise and wasnt hitting as hard. so i turned the stereo off and went back to my trunk to look at it. below you will see what i found when i pulled it out of the box. the basket is cracked about 3/4 of the way around and so is the rim. at first i thought maybe the shipping company dropped it causing hairline cracks and then when i turned it on the crackes broke. so i looked at the box it came in again. (which is a box directly from the sellers audio store so i know fedex did not rebox it) and it was in perfect condition.

i emailed the seller to see what he could do about this because i am very upset about this. the thing is i have a feeling that he isnt going to give a **** because its used. but we will see.

so my question is IF he wont do anything about this. is there any way to fix this sub. i will jb weld the damn thing if i have to. but i dont think jb weld is going to handle 800 watts rms. so i dont know what to do. what do you guys think...

Old 03-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Wow, that sucks. How'd you pay for it? This doesn't really fall under the *clear corner inspection* category because it failed almost immediately after you installed it, and you bought it from a retail establishment. I'd be pissed because it was clearly damaged before shipping, and even though it's used, and sold as-is, that policy shouldn't cover catastrophic failure like this after just 60 seconds of use.

Anyhoo, you might find a local welder who can get them re-connected while covering up the vitals to protect them from any sparks/slag.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Man, that looks like some wheels that crack in this forum

If you can't resolve in claiming it as a shipping damage, I would definitely try a real welding job, not the jb weld in a tube....i'm not sure however, in how the welding process works and if it has to be a certain type of metal(if it has to be steel/iron and not aluminum).

Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM
welding on it will probably be very very dificult not to mess up the other components. hopefully this guy will email me back. wont be til tomorrow though im sure. kinda sucks because even if he does give me my money back. he sold these for such a deal that i am not going to be able to buy a sub that is close to the power of this one for that same price

Old 03-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds like he sold it for such a great deal because he knew about the problems imo.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
well he had 6 of them. one of my friends got one as well and his is perfectly fine.

and i payed through paypal

Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by kennymo
well he had 6 of them. one of my friends got one as well and his is perfectly fine.

and i payed through paypal
Then file a claim if he doesn't respond, just don't let too much time go by. Maybe he'll swap yours for a non-broken one (if he has any left).

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
very weird for a basket to break like that.

looks like shipping might have dropped it and started a crack

Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Yeah, even if the box looks fine, if the box was was dropped flat on a side with the heavy magnet on the side (like a rolling tire), it's weight is enough to cause damage like that.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Could have been damaged through shipping. Baskets don't crack that easy, even when you're feeding them tons of power, I'm talking several thousand watts. There are guys giving their subs 10k rms for 3 seconds and it's fine.

IF the guy doesn't refund you or work something out with you, PM me. My friend repairs subs. What audio forum are you on? I'm on CACO and CA.com but haven't been really following them lately. Another solution is to have Scott at Fi take care of it, but it'll cost more than what my buddy would charge.