Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I was pointed to this thread from another member. I bought my G the other day with a single din Pioneer with the kit that seems to be able to be modded to use a DD or 2 stacked units. The Nav is dead and bought from a car lot so I don't know if the factory Nav is trashed or if its just a bad install issue. Being new to the G35 whats the best route to find out if the Nav works. The screen will not power on but honestly I'm not sure if there is a certain set of buttons to press or if it turns on automatically. Or even if there is a cd inside as there isn't power. Is their a certain connector/adapter needed I can look for to chase wires to see if it was a bad install.

If its a bad Nav I want to rip it out now and install a DIY Nav setup. Maybe a hardwired portable GPS with a vinyl wrapped trim in the factory pop up location

Old 08-31-2016, 02:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've looked in the 05-07 thread in the sticky but not sure how much different the 03 is. I do have basic tools but soldering to boards isn't something I like to do unless it's like a small portable electronic like a TV helicopter or something. Would love to have that link ur referring to. I honestly rather just wire something like a radio or TV would be. Turn on and off with the car and be done with it. What can I get in the world of electronics that will allow fuel mileage, basic car info, etc along with navigation?

Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Neziah
Wrathernaut, I'm so glad to see you are still active! You are basically the main reason I still own my 06 G coupe.

Speaking of the Android double dins, I have one that is absolutely amazing but it wont fit in the Metra dash kit. I was hoping it might work in the JDM one. Do you know the size of the opening? I can't find it listed anywhere. The face of the radio is 7"x4-3/8".
Which android unit did you get? I pulled the trigger on new joying unit with the 5.1 lollipop on it.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
Thanks for the response. I've looked in the 05-07 thread in the sticky but not sure how much different the 03 is. I do have basic tools but soldering to boards isn't something I like to do unless it's like a small portable electronic like a TV helicopter or something. Would love to have that link ur referring to. I honestly rather just wire something like a radio or TV would be. Turn on and off with the car and be done with it. What can I get in the world of electronics that will allow fuel mileage, basic car info, etc along with navigation?
No soldering to boards should be required, just splicing to the harness and soldering wires together.

You won't get fuel mileage, just what's available over the ODB2 port - throttle position, temperature, things like that. Fuel level isn't done over ODB2, so you're out of luck there. I'm not really sure where the factory nav gets its estimate of gas left.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SUMBLAKDUDE
Which android unit did you get? I pulled the trigger on new joying unit with the 5.1 lollipop on it.
Ah, you got the newer model..I got a good deal on the 4.2. It's pumpkin but I think they are all pretty much the same. I love the customizability and UI better than any Kenwood, Pioneer, or Clarion I've had and I hear it's even better if you root it. Only down side is I don't know what the longevity of our units will be.

Also, as I mentioned the Metra unit didn't want to fit it. I measured the opening and it was 6-7/8" x 4" which is just shy of the unit. I ordered the JDM one so hopefully it'll fit and I'll upload some nice pictures

Old 09-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Neziah
Ah, you got the newer model..I got a good deal on the 4.2. It's pumpkin but I think they are all pretty much the same. I love the customizability and UI better than any Kenwood, Pioneer, or Clarion I've had and I hear it's even better if you root it. Only down side is I don't know what the longevity of our units will be.

Also, as I mentioned the Metra unit didn't want to fit it. I measured the opening and it was 6-7/8" x 4" which is just shy of the unit. I ordered the JDM one so hopefully it'll fit and I'll upload some nice pictures
Yea I poked at Pumpkin, Joying and Xtron. They all pretty much are same just different faces. Joying had the one I liked best. The review I saw was of the previous version unit with the 4.4 Kit Kat and I was sold. just so happen to find new version with the 5.1. Think he had a metra kit too. It wasn't flush but don't think he was finish installing it and just reviewing. I do have the JDM Kit so I'm hoping to get a flush fit. I should get it today or tomorrow

Old 09-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not getting power using the 70-7550 on a non Bose 2006 G35 Coupe. Also wondering what to do with the two wire harnesses that used to be in the two lower ports.

two lower ports

Old 09-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Iagent
Im not getting power using the 70-7550 on a non Bose 2006 G35 Coupe. Also wondering what to do with the two wire harnesses that used to be in the two lower ports.

two lower ports
Check your ground first. Like the wiring chart says - connect all the grounds and connect to the chassis.

Other harnesses have the steering wheel control signals, bluetooth (if present), navigation voice signal (if present) and the rear satellite connector - you don't need to do anything else with them once you've got your steering wheel controls hooked up.

The following users liked this post:
Iagent (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 12:06 AM
First of all Thanks!

I actually did find that my ground was insufficient. So you are right. I guess those other ports don't affect the system much. My last problem is with the steering wheel controls. I'm using axes-1 and the non Bose numbers just don't seem to be right for the harness. My connectors don't have the pin numbers that their site suggests. Very frustrating.

Last edited by Iagent; 09-06-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:40 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

First of all Thanks!

I actually did find that my ground was insufficient. So you are right. I guess those other ports don't affect the system much. My last problem is with the steering wheel controls. I'm using axes-1 and the non Bose numbers just don't seem to be right for the harness. My connectors don't have the pin numbers that their site suggests. Very frustrating.
Check against the colors on the chart in the first post. Those are the same throughout.

The following users liked this post:
Iagent (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 AM
I appreciate the quick response. I think you have answered my question about steering wire.
Thanks again.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:24 PM
G35 2006 coupe non-bose no orange/white wire

I'm trying to get my dimming feature back to my G35 with an after market stereo, but there is no orange/white wire. can't find it in the wiring diagram. If there is anyone out there who has had this problem, I would appreciate some insight. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I'm trying to get my dimming feature back to my G35 with an after market stereo, but there is no orange/white wire. can't find it in the wiring diagram. If there is anyone out there who has had this problem, I would appreciate some insight. Thanks in advance.
You can use the illumination control wire for the climate control display. It's pretty easy to remove once you've got the radio out. Blue/Yellow wire going to the back of the display.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Will the metra wiring harness (70-7550) work with my 06 G35
with bose system? Or do I need the (70-7551) to be able to install the pioneer app radio 4

Or which wiring harness do I need to install my aftermarket radio?

I will be installing the pioneer Appradio 4 with the JDM double din kit

Last edited by Edgar0529; 10-21-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Edgar0529
Will the metra wiring harness (70-7550) work with my 06 G35
with bose system? Or do I need the (70-7551) to be able to install the pioneer app radio 4

Or which wiring harness do I need to install my aftermarket radio?

I will be installing the pioneer Appradio 4 with the JDM double din kit
See post #1.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List