Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
The nav voice requires the relay to be built, otherwise the stock nav just plugs right in and works as normal.

You can shave a few areas on the metra kit (03-04, right?) to make it function, but it will not look particularly good.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by SILVERAZG35
No other pics yet, and yes I used the DD trim ring.

The only problem I have is that the touch screen takes a while to become responsive. (up to 5 min, should be less than 15 seconds) I am having a local stereo shop take a look at it next weekend.
Yeah, that's definitely a problem with the headunit. Just return to where you got it for replacement. If it was local, that'll be easy.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Update 27 Mar 2011:

Added a video showing how to remove & replace a button to keep dual climate control:

Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for such a quick reply!! I'm not sure my installer will be able to do the relay you were referring to. Do we have a drawing or video of it, so that I can show it to him? Now I will order a JDM kit and try to return my Metra kit or sell it. Thanks again, you are the man!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by jjthing
Thanks for such a quick reply!! I'm not sure my installer will be able to do the relay you were referring to. Do we have a drawing or video of it, so that I can show it to him? Now I will order a JDM kit and try to return my Metra kit or sell it. Thanks again, you are the man!
Both of these options require using an amplifier, whether it's the factory Bose unit, or an aftermarket one.

Best option is a 6v 3PDT Relay - Mutes all audio and plays nav voice in driver's front speaker:

There's this one if you can find a good 9v DPDT relay, it doesn't mute, just swaps the audio at driver's front speaker:

Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you so soo much Wrathernaut! I'll bring these diagrams to my installer and talk to him. I'll post a pic after he's done and everything's working as expected!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Wrathernaut, thanks for the awesome guide. I'm about to finally pull the trigger and upgrade my radio but I wanted to make sure I had everything I need before doing so.

The following is going into a 2007 G35 Coupe with Bose:

JDM Dual A/C Controller & Finisher
AM/FM Adapter - Metra 40-NI10
Steering Wheel Interface – PAC SWI-PS
Wiring Harness – PAC ROEM-NIS2
Double Din Trim Ring – Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring
Pioneer AVIC F900BT with iPod Adapter

Also what part of GA do you stay in (I'm in Austell)? Thanks!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by brightsons
Wrathernaut, thanks for the awesome guide. I'm about to finally pull the trigger and upgrade my radio but I wanted to make sure I had everything I need before doing so.

Also what part of GA do you stay in (I'm in Austell)? Thanks!
I'm in Savannah, so about 5 hours from you. Leave after breakfast on the weekend, we'll get it installed over lunch, and you'll be home for dinner.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by brightsons

!
from what ive gathered this is everything you need just to replace the HU.
ugh, it was so much easier in my previous cars!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, just ordered everything. Now just gotta find a shop to install all everything at a decent price. I would try it myself but don't have any experience installing radios and don't want to risk it.

Wrathernaught if you were closer I would totally take you up on your offer.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The nav voice requires the relay to be built, otherwise the stock nav just plugs right in and works as normal.

You can shave a few areas on the metra kit (03-04, right?) to make it function, but it will not look particularly good.
Dear Wrathernaut,

I went and talked to my installer today. He pointed out to me that connector from stock nav has to be plugged directly to the stock radio unit in order to work. Therefore, even if we order JDM kit, it wont be able to hook up directly to anything. Am I missing anything here? Please show me the details if you can.

Also for nav voice, both of your diagrams need a Headunit Mute connection and my headunit, Jensen , does not have a Mute connection. So, I might as well skip stock nav voice option altogether.

And for the slide up screen, he said we'll need to cut the bracket off from stock radio unit and find a way to put it on the aftermarket piece. Only then, the screen will be stable and slide up easily no matter the use of JDM or Metra dash kit. Is it how you do it too? Btw, I can't return the Metra kit. Look like I'm stuck with this.

I apologize for my ignorance and lack of knowledge on these things. I come to realize these details only after he showed me my stock radio unit and explained to me.

Again, thanks so much for being patient.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by jjthing
Dear Wrathernaut,

I went and talked to my installer today. He pointed out to me that connector from stock nav has to be plugged directly to the stock radio unit in order to work. Therefore, even if we order JDM kit, it wont be able to hook up directly to anything. Am I missing anything here? Please show me the details if you can.

Also for nav voice, both of your diagrams need a Headunit Mute connection and my headunit, Jensen , does not have a Mute connection. So, I might as well skip stock nav voice option altogether.

And for the slide up screen, he said we'll need to cut the bracket off from stock radio unit and find a way to put it on the aftermarket piece. Only then, the screen will be stable and slide up easily no matter the use of JDM or Metra dash kit. Is it how you do it too? Btw, I can't return the Metra kit. Look like I'm stuck with this.

I apologize for my ignorance and lack of knowledge on these things. I come to realize these details only after he showed me my stock radio unit and explained to me.

Again, thanks so much for being patient.
Dear jjthing:

Find a new installer, this guy sucks or is just pulling stuff out of his ***.

There's a connector that goes straight into the nav display unit. That connector is the only one required in order to keep the nav unit functioning (without voice).

The connector that goes to the headunit that has the nav voice signal (the one you'd wire to a relay) is the same one that has the steering wheel control signal, and it doesn't get plugged into anything with an aftermarket headunit, all those wires have to cut and spliced.

The only thing that needs to be cut to keep the stock nav is about 1/8th of an inch off the top of the 05-07 JDM trim. If it's an 03-04 JDM trim, nothing has to be modified.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Dear jjthing:

Find a new installer, this guy sucks or is just pulling stuff out of his ***.

There's a connector that goes straight into the nav display unit. That connector is the only one required in order to keep the nav unit functioning (without voice).

The connector that goes to the headunit that has the nav voice signal (the one you'd wire to a relay) is the same one that has the steering wheel control signal, and it doesn't get plugged into anything with an aftermarket headunit, all those wires have to cut and spliced.

The only thing that needs to be cut to keep the stock nav is about 1/8th of an inch off the top of the 05-07 JDM trim. If it's an 03-04 JDM trim, nothing has to be modified.
Well, I assume, from reading the posts between Brightsons and you right above, you can help me do it if i bring my car over to you. Of course, not right now. I will ask my stock radio unit back from that installer and bring everything to you.

And, please do not be offended, how much will you charge me? I need to save up for that too..

Thanks again!!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I charge approximately one pizza and a couple cans of Mtn. Dew.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I charge approximately one pizza and a couple cans of Mtn. Dew.
hahaha.. awesome!! Will you give me a discount..?? let's say.. a sirloin steak and pitcher of beer??

I will plan the trip once school's out.. I will contact you again! Btw, i'll be coming from Rockville, Maryland.. :P

Thanks so soo much!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List