Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Problem installing sound system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem installing sound system

i had a pioneer avec z1 installed in my g35 coupe 6mt. everything worked. i recently installed an amp kit and ran all the wires. now i'm not hearing any sounds from any speakers. the amp turns on also. what rca outlet do i connect from behind the head unit? is it the subwoofer out? could that be the problem? the head unit also turns on just no sound. thanks for the help.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Your effort into a question really affects the amount we can help you here.

Is the amp power a sub?
Is the amp powering speakers?
Is the amp a 2 channel? 4 channel? 6 channel?
Did you have bose before?
Do you still have have any factory components install, if so which?
Did you do it all yourself?
What wires did you run? "All" doesn't help here.
Where did you ground it?
What model of amp is it?
Did you install a sub?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
jus a fyi u do kno the head unit has rca out to the amp but u gotta redirect the speaker wires from the amp back to the speaker wire harness in back of the head unit. u did that right? lol

Last edited by saywat?; 08-19-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Your effort into a question really affects the amount we can help you here.

Is the amp power a sub?
Is the amp powering speakers?
Is the amp a 2 channel? 4 channel? 6 channel?
Did you have bose before?
Do you still have have any factory components install, if so which?
Did you do it all yourself?
What wires did you run? "All" doesn't help here.
Where did you ground it?
What model of amp is it?
Did you install a sub?
yes the amp is power to a sub, 2 channel amp, yes i have bose before, front and rear speakers factory, the pioneer avic z1 came with car and it looks like it was done at shop by looking at the wires, i ran the power wire from the battery to the amp, the remote from behind the head unit to the amp, and theres 4 pairs of rcas behind the head unit i used the subwoofer out/something i can't remember, i grounded it where the spare tire goes. the amp turns on but why do i have no sound coming from the speakers?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by saywat?
jus a fyi u do kno the head unit has rca out to the amp but u gotta redirect the speaker wires from the amp back to the head unit. u did that right? lol
what do you mean redirect the speaker wires from the amp back to the head unit? what speaker wires are you referring to?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by kidd_drastic
yes the amp is power to a sub, 2 channel amp, yes i have bose before, front and rear speakers factory, the pioneer avic z1 came with car and it looks like it was done at shop by looking at the wires, i ran the power wire from the battery to the amp, the remote from behind the head unit to the amp, and theres 4 pairs of rcas behind the head unit i used the subwoofer out/something i can't remember, i grounded it where the spare tire goes. the amp turns on but why do i have no sound coming from the speakers?
So you do have sound coming from the subwoofer?

First guess from this would be that you didn't connect the amp turn-on wire for the Bose amp when you spliced your amp into it.

Here's how it should be wired:
Z1's front and rear RCAs go to the Bose amp through stock wiring (Metra 70-7551 harness or equivalent was probably installed by whomever did the Z1).
Z1's subwoofer RCAs run through new RCA wires to the subwoofer amp.
Make sure the amp turn-on wire is connected behind the headunit so that both amps are turning on.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
what do you mean redirect the speaker wires from the amp back to the head unit? what speaker wires are you referring to?
sorry i meant "jus a fyi u do kno the head unit has rca out to the amp but u gotta redirect the speaker wires from the amp back to the speaker wire harness in back of the head unit"

Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
the sub didn't actually make noise. since i have an aftermarket head unit and aftermarket amp for the subwoofer do i need to do anything to the stock amp or stock amp harness?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Is your amp power light coming on?

I assume you have this amp hooked up to a new sub?

Did you mess with the existing connection from the Z1 to the Bose amp, such as the RCA connections? BTW, on the Z1 I believe there is only 3 sets of RCA outs, not 4. Are you sure you hooked the sub RCAs up to the amp and not the Video outs?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 PM
the sub didn't actually make noise. since i have an aftermarket head unit and aftermarket amp for the subwoofer do i need to do anything to the stock amp or stock amp harness?
You shouldn't have to. Actually, let me rephrase that. I didn't have to. As long as it was all working before, unless you disconnected something it should still work.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
the rca harness does have 3. the one i plugged in was subwoofer out/non fading. could i have possibly i have switched rcas that's why no sound is coming out?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
the only thing i did was splice the remote wire of the radio harness and ran it to my amp and connect the rca subwoofer out to the amp also. then i had no sound at all. i disconnected the remote wire and hooked it back up to the regular harness and unplugged the rcas and the sound came back on.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The remote wire needs to be connected to both the new amp and the regular harness.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The remote wire needs to be connected to both the new amp and the regular harness.
so this is the picture of how the remote wire is connected just from the head unit to the harness. I need to splice it and keep them both connected and then run another wire from this harness to the amp? like a three way? also when i had everything hooked up remote to the amp and rcas subwoofer out to the amp, my amp turned on. the issue was just there was no sound.

Attached Thumbnails Problem installing sound system-img00343-20100815-1554-2-.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
also the rcas i'm suppose to connect is the subwoofer out/non fading to the amp right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem installing sound system