Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Alpine Type R 12"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine Type R 12"

Ok guys, I'm looking for some advice. I currently have a nice Alpine on Alpine system from my old car that I want to put into my G35 Coupe, but I'm having trouble finding a box for it. I know the 4080 enclosures are only for 10" subs in the coupe, and I was looking on eBay at some of those custom enclosures, but they didn't have the proper mounting depth.

So my question is, are any of you guys running the Type R 12", and if so what kind of box do you have it in? Are there any other options as far as custom boxes go, with out losing to much trunk space? Thanks!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:30 PM
No word on this yet?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Would it fit in a zenclosure one? Would help if you listed out the measurements you've found and what the sub requires so we dont' re-check any of the same places.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
i dont have a 12" type r but i do have a 10' type r sub.

i bought my sub box, sub,amp from a forum member.

heres my youtube video. this video was taking over a year ago.
since then my G has changed lol

Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Hm, thats for the video, I'm trying to find a box that doesn't block the fold down option of the rear seats. I fold them down for my snowboard and stuff. Any options on boxes for 12" subs that doesn't block the rear seat?

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Would it fit in a zenclosure one? Would help if you listed out the measurements you've found and what the sub requires so we dont' re-check any of the same places.
Heres the mounting depth, etc:

Top Mount depth - 7-5/8"
sealed box volume: 0.57-1.0 cu. ft. (which is what I want)

I checked all over eBay, and the zenclosures website. But I'm really looking for one that doesn't seal off the fold down of the rear seats.

Last edited by Eskimo10; 08-22-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Is there any reason you insist on using a 12" sub? A 10" type-r with it's max rated RMS will fill the coupe just fine, and you'll be able to use a 4080-style enclosure.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Is there any reason you insist on using a 12" sub? A 10" type-r with it's max rated RMS will fill the coupe just fine, and you'll be able to use a 4080-style enclosure.
I already have one lol. I just don't have the money right now to get a new sub and enclosure. If need be, that may be what I do, but since I already have an amp and sub combo, why bother getting a new one?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
there is a sub box that fit on the left or right side of the trunk so the middle will not be blocked.but i cant figure out what the sub box is called.

but worst comes to worst check ebay and type G35 sub box.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by O HELLA OEM
there is a sub box that fit on the left or right side of the trunk so the middle will not be blocked.but i cant figure out what the sub box is called.

I did check eBay already, but they didn't have the proper mounting depth for it. I may have to go custom using one of those styles so it has the proper depth.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM
I have 2 Type R 12's in my G coupe, I built the box for them though. The airspace is a little tight though, planning on doing a full trunk build to remedy that. I couldn't really find any box to fit my needs for the 12's and the vast restricions our trunks impose on us, so I built my own. They fire up and the box sits under the little pass thru area in the back of the trunk, it's a tight snug fit. The subs are under the stock 6x9 holes (I removed them and the lower coverings that shield the magnets/connections) and I have 5mm from max sub excursion play room below the support frame before they contact. One year of hard play and hasn't given me any trouble so far, but I know they could sound better with closer to spec airspace.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hurt_Locker
I have 2 Type R 12's in my G coupe, I built the box for them though. The airspace is a little tight though, planning on doing a full trunk build to remedy that. I couldn't really find any box to fit my needs for the 12's and the vast restricions our trunks impose on us, so I built my own. They fire up and the box sits under the little pass thru area in the back of the trunk, it's a tight snug fit. The subs are under the stock 6x9 holes (I removed them and the lower coverings that shield the magnets/connections) and I have 5mm from max sub excursion play room below the support frame before they contact. One year of hard play and hasn't given me any trouble so far, but I know they could sound better with closer to spec airspace.
Any pics of this setup? I can kind of picture it, sounds sort of like what I'm thinking about doing, but I'm curious as to what yours looks like.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Eskimo10
Any pics of this setup? I can kind of picture it, sounds sort of like what I'm thinking about doing, but I'm curious as to what yours looks like.
I can take some if you like, it isnt anything impressive but it works for now until the heat dies down and the garage is bearable for wood working. The dimensions are Width = 16", Depth 8.3" and Length 31", square box, that gives a box total of about 1.6 cu/ft airspace (not counting divider displacement). Alpine stats says 0.65-1.25 cu/ft per for a sealed box, I am right at the lower end factoring in speaker displacement and used polyfil to give me a little more. All I can say is 2x 12"s in a coupe is a lot, box options for our trunk and that setup are slim.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Yea if you don't mind snapping a few pics that'd be great.

I know right, thats why I'm only going with one Type R this time around, my civic had two and I had NO trunk room. It was unbearable. I hated it.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by O HELLA OEM

You seem to be defining the offset 10" zenclosure one.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Here is what I got, as I said nothing special but it gets the job done for now. Clearance is tight, as I said I got ~5mm over max excursion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alpine Type R 12"