Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

hmmm mb quart or polk audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm mb quart or polk audio

im going to buy all new speakers for my 04 sedan, im thinking either mb quart component speakers 6.5, or polk audio's, there are the speakers for the polk audio MM6501 6 1/2 companent speakers, or these mb quart MB Quart PVI 216. im tryna stay between 200-220 price range, and so far found these to be around 120-160 on different sites, to 200 on other sites. so my question is which is better, and if there are any other better ones from either brands, or some other brands. i will also probably get a 4 channel amp for the car speakers, but i would like to stay with one brand through out the whole car, my 350z has different brands in it, it still sounds good but feels like its all over the pace cus i got boston acuoustics speakers on door speakers, and digital designs companent speakers in rear speakers, a 10 inch kicker sub powered by a 1000 watt rockford fosgate amp, and a rockford fosgate 4 channel amp. ive heard its better to stay with one brand though. so please some pointers.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
The Polk will be louder - the MB Q's only have a sensitivity of 87dB vs. 94dB in the PAs.
If you remember science, a change in power ratio by a factor of two is approximately a 3 dB change. So that 7dB difference is very significant.

However, the MB Q's claim a wider frequency response.
So that might give you a little more sound quality, which will probably nullified once the car's in motion.

So between the two, I'd go with the Polk Audios. You'll get more sound out of the same power, and have a higher limit to the amount of sound they can produce too.

There's no reason to stay with one brand the whole car. Signals are signals. Balancing the output levels with the fader and amp gains is required even if you get all the same brand and model, due to acoustics of your car and listening position, and preferences (rear fill vs front stage).

Old 09-18-2010, 08:04 PM
ok so quick question here, polk is better than most audio brands these days like rockford fosgate, and memphis, and jl audio just to name the famous ones? im talking about as far as sound quality. so your also saying that it doesnt matter if you mix up brands itll all sound the same if you got 4 channel amps and sub amp?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't put anything Polk makes in the sound quality category other then the SR series of speakers but those components are pricey. Mixing up stuff from different manufacturer's doesn't matter one bit, but I still like to use matching amps for looks. Check out some reviews on those Quarts', I've read some pretty good things about them. I've never used them personally and everybody's ears are different.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:50 PM
ok i found various speakers on line that are about 130-220 which are components. in retail sound shop stores there like 230-350 or even more. i wanna stay about 150-200 for a set of good speakers. i would want to stay the same brand for amps and speakers. excluding hu. still shopping for the right one. whicfh ones would you guys say be good speakers to get all i listen to is rap if that matters....plus all speakers in 04 sedan are 6 1/2's right?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, all the speakers are 6.5". You'll of course need some baffles, I bought mine off Ebay. You could look into some Phoenix Gold RSD components which are very good for under $100 for components. PPI 356CS are very good and were very cheap, but word got out and the price went up recently. I could go on for days probably just giving you ideas. Best thing to do is just buy some speakers and see if you like them. Just put up what your thinking about buying and I'll let you know. I've been into car audio for over 10 years.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

For rap, yeah, I'd stick with cheaper components with a high efficiency, since you're likely going to have a big sub that'll drown out all semblance of sound quality anyway, so you need something that can compete volume-wise with all that bass.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM
whats a good baffle to get, what are baffles for? are they all universal? should i put baffles in my 03 350z to, cus i got some serious sound in it to. ya ill look for some speakers and post them up for your opinion bro

Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM
how good are these my man?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RSD65CS-6-5-Component-Speakers-RSD-65CS-/110576200781?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item19bedaec4d

Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, for one thing, old and discontinued.
For another thing, sensitivity's only 88dB, so a factor of four (or is it 3? I been out of math way too long...) quieter than the Polk Audios.
A third thing, they're 4ohm, so you'll need a more powerful amp to push the same RMS to them, compared to the PA's 2.7ohm design.
And a fourth thing, those are overpriced - $30 less here: http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/rsd65cs.aspx

But they are cheap, so that leaves you more money for amp and subwoofer(s).

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-20-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Baffles, spacers, whatever you want to call them? I included a link to an ebay auction below. They have different inside diameters to match up with the speaker you'll be using. Another thing, do not worry about the ohm load, a lot of people seem to think you'll get better results with using a lower impedance speaker. The amp is going to be pulling more amperage from your electrical system which will increase the temp. of the amp. All while not making much of a difference wattage wise. I've included a link to a thread on diymobileaudio.com talking about 8 ohm speakers compared to 4 and 2, which would apply here.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...m-drivers.html

If you'd like to spend more for components then the Phoenix Gold's just let us know. I only threw them out because they are cheap and damn good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-Infiniti-SPEAKER-SPACERS-350Z-G35-FX35-AND-MORE-/380267403204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5889b417c4

Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM
ok so you need spacers im assuming so your speakers wont rattle? does it improve the audio, if it does ill buy some for my 350z to which got custom speakers in it. btw how good are the phoenixs?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6952/RSD6...ker-System.htm wouuld you think these are better than polk, jl, digital designs, and memphi or rockfords as far as for rap listening.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Need the spacers so the speakers will clear the window. The PG's are very good for the money, they could probably be priced higher and people would still buy them. Midbass is damn good, tweeter is pretty good as well, sorry it's been a while since I've heard them. If you'd like to spend more, say in the $200 range me or Wrathernaut could probably give some recommendations? I only threw them out for the price and it's a good starter set. The choice's are almost limitless, you just have to decide.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: hmmm mb quart or polk audio