Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AVIC-x930bt with JDM DD Kit. WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2011 | 03:12 AM
|
AVIC-x930bt with JDM DD Kit. WTF!!!

Where did I go wrong? I purchased the JDM DD Kit and a Pioneer AVIC-x930bt to go into my car. I was getting ready to trim my DD kit because I have OEM Navi, and upon testing the fit of the aftermarket head unit, I found that it does NOT fit! I am very disappointed right now. I've spend many hours rewiring the entire sound system for all new aftermarket speakers, amps, and a new head unit, only to find out now that this isn't going to fit. Is the x930bt not a true DD size? Notice the big gap in the picture. I think the JDM DD kit is probably the right size, but the head unit is probably not a true double din size. Does anybody have any info that would help me figure out what to do? I can return the head unit and get something different, but I would first need to figure out if there is a different head unit that would fit properly with this kit. Or is the problem with the actual JDM DD kit? The size of the opening on this kit is 7" wide by just over 4-1/8" high. Is that Pioneer just not a true double din head unit?
Edit/Delete Message

Old 06-20-2011 | 01:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
The gap is normal. if you look at the ddin shopping list that I have sticky'd at the top of tiffs forum, you'll see a scosche trim ring listed as required whenever you use the jdm trim.

The following users liked this post:
steelhead712 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-21-2011 | 01:56 PM
it looks like the headunit is sitting pretty far back. im sure if you adjusted it a little, the gap wouldnt bee too bad. my f700bt only has a small gap on the bottom, everything else is flush. the only bad thing is that it pops out

Old 06-21-2011 | 03:52 PM
looks like you did not use a radio trim kit

Old 06-22-2011 | 04:05 AM
|
Thanks for the responses! Special thanks to Wrathernaut for contributing so much on the subject. I was able to put the system together using the JDM DD Kit, and rewired the entire sound system. I installed aftermarket amps, speakers, and dynamat. This forum made the whole process much easier. It was a big project and took me a few days to complete. I kept the OEM Navigation, but still added an aftermarket head unit with navigation. I mainly kept the OEM Navi for the INFO screens, and just to keep the dash together. I will post more pics, and will try to contribute to these forums when I see an opportunity. Thanks Again![IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-22-2011 | 09:22 AM
nice to do it yourself

money in your pocket

good job

Old 06-22-2011 | 12:13 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Looks pretty good, is that the hacksaw method used on the jdm dd trim?

Also, if you drill new holes for the radio on the factory bracket, it won't stick out nearly as much.

glad it came together well, don't forget to use the thank button for all those useful posts.

Old 06-22-2011 | 02:58 PM
how much did you pay for the dd kit? and where did you get it? thanks...

Old 06-22-2011 | 04:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by qbanboy
how much did you pay for the dd kit? and where did you get it? thanks...
I bought it from Beshoff Infiniti on Ebay. I couldn't find it in stock except for ebay. I paid $305 shipped.

Old 06-22-2011 | 04:44 PM
|
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Looks pretty good, is that the hacksaw method used on the jdm dd trim?

Also, if you drill new holes for the radio on the factory bracket, it won't stick out nearly as much.

glad it came together well, don't forget to use the thank button for all those useful posts.
Yep, Hacksaw Method. I went to a local audio shop and they quoted me $80, and they said they couldn't guarantee it would look good. I used a 12" 32T hacksaw and took my time, then I finished it with a fine tooth file. It fit great, and nobody can tell it was modified. I told somebody I trimmed it with a hacksaw, and they refused to believe me. Again... I never would have thought to do that, if it wasn't for you guys that have contributed to these forums.

Old 06-22-2011 | 11:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Originally Posted by steelhead712
Yep, Hacksaw Method. I went to a local audio shop and they quoted me $80, and they said they couldn't guarantee it would look good. I used a 12" 32T hacksaw and took my time, then I finished it with a fine tooth file. It fit great, and nobody can tell it was modified. I told somebody I trimmed it with a hacksaw, and they refused to believe me. Again... I never would have thought to do that, if it wasn't for you guys that have contributed to these forums.
Yeah, it was definitely something that took a little trial and error to get a method that could be easily repeated... I've got two destroyed factory trims from practicing. Glad their sacrifice wasn't in vain.

Old 07-29-2012 | 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by steelhead712
Thanks for the responses! Special thanks to Wrathernaut for contributing so much on the subject. I was able to put the system together using the JDM DD Kit, and rewired the entire sound system. I installed aftermarket amps, speakers, and dynamat. This forum made the whole process much easier. It was a big project and took me a few days to complete. I kept the OEM Navigation, but still added an aftermarket head unit with navigation. I mainly kept the OEM Navi for the INFO screens, and just to keep the dash together. I will post more pics, and will try to contribute to these forums when I see an opportunity. Thanks Again![IMG][/IMG]

What excatly did u have to do to make it fit better? Having same issue and head unit. And everything

Old 07-30-2012 | 01:08 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Dcampos662
What excatly did u have to do to make it fit better? Having same issue and head unit. And everything
What part are you having trouble fitting? If your headunit sticks out too far, drill new mount holes in the side of the cage:

If there's a gap around the face, you need the scosche universal trim ring.

If you have a nav-equipped unit and a non-nav trim, you need to trim a little off the top using the method described here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-vehicles.html