Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Anyone install a DigitalWheelz Screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone install a DigitalWheelz Screen

I am looking to put one of these screens in along with a DVD player in the glove box. Has anyone done this? How hard is it and how easy is it to break stuff when taking the dash apart? How long does it take?

I have also thought about just going to a local audio shop. I talked to one who said they have put in a screen that hinges off the center lid. They said it turned out very nice. I trust this shop since I have used them before.

The parts end up being the same, so it's just the install. Is the DigitalWheelz stuff easy enough to install to go ahead and try it myself? Thanks!

Old 12-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I have installed Chuck's (aka digitalwheelz) xenarc screen. Its not that hard if you've done the doubleDIN conversion. I have been working with chuck on fine-tuning the installation process but the screen is AWESOME! Fits perfectly in the cubby, relatively easy install.

I also recently am working on the install of my DVD player in the upper glovebox using Chuck's singleDIN adapter and should have some pictures in a couple weeks when I am on vacation and have some time to spend time doing the install and taking pictures.

Long story short, the Xenarc screen is great playing stuff and install was relatively easy if you've done the doubleDIN conversion. IF you haven't, it would be still pretty easy, just would take a little longer since you wo't be familiar with the stock HVAC unit and its connections and screw locations, etc.

Hope this helps....

doc

Old 12-08-2004, 02:59 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The install should take about three hours, this is what some of the people other then me that have installed it have told me. The disassembly process for the dash is almost exactly the same as for doing a double DIN conversion. I won't kid you, its not a quick install, but I don't think there are too many things that will break too easily. The real difficulty to it lies just in the shear number of things you have to take off and that you have to do them in the right order for them to come off. Most of the clips holding the panels on will only break if you pull them the wrong way, however, even if one or two does break, you can still put the panels back on and never even notice it, most of the clips seem to be redundant. I have taken my dash completely apart at least 25 times while designing the housing and so far have only broken 1 clip in the process.

The hardest part to the disassembly is probably pulling off the panel covering up the electronic read out that has the compass, its in there very securly, once you get that off I think everything else is just a matter of time. Alot of patience can easily make up for any lack of skill for this install. The one thing that you do have to watch out for is dropping screws under your dash. There are a couple that you have to take out that should really be done with a magnetic screw driver or very steady hands.

Once you have everything disassembled, installing the screen simply involves putting in 4 bolts and cutting a slit in a plastic cover covering the back of the center console circuitboard. The only real problems I have heard people having is making sure everything is aligned so the cubby cover can fully close and the screen can be securly fastened to the magnet latch. I have updated the install instructions and made some minor design changes so that this shouldn't be a problem anymore, but in any case, the one thing that can make a simple install into an exceedingly frustrating one is if you wait until after you reassembled the center console and screen back into the car to test the mechanics of it. The magnet latch can be adjusted to assure a perfect fit, but it must be done before reassembling everything back into the car.

If you haven't done so already, download and check out the install instructions http://www.digitalwheelz.com/G35Scre...tallation.html it should give you a very good idea of whats involved and whether the install is something you can do. I have updated it multiple times with the feedback I recieved from some of the earlier installs people did so it should hopefully cover everything you need to know and there won't be too many surprises in store.

As for the screen that just hinges off the cubby hole cover, have you actually seen this in person? I'm sure it can be done, it may not even look that bad. I considered this myself before designing the housing, however, the real problem I had with this approach was getting the mechanics to work smoothly and more importantly to assure the screen won't move when going over bumps and that it won't rattle against anything when moving. The top of the cubby hole cover is only about 4 inches above the bottom of the opening for it when it is open. This means if the top of the screen is attached to the cover, the bottom of the screen will either have to come out past the bottom of the opening or a much smaller screen will have to be used.

If you get the digitalwheelz screen, I can't promise you a quick install, but what I can garuntee is that you will get a product that has hundreds of hours of design time going into it and has considered everything from the looks to the mechanics to the quality of the screen.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:59 PM
I've done an install on my car with the center lid thing.... eh, didn't look that great. Every time someone saw my carputer setup, they'd say "it looks good, but your screen setup is kinda ghetto." Needless to say, I changed the install.

GOC's install looks much better. There are solutions out there that in my opinion look slightly better, but not much. And they'd require quite a bit of work on your part anyways.

As for the install shop, just do it yourself. I know there are a lot of very reputable shops out there, but there are also quite a few that just don't do a good job. They break some of those clips, they'll NEVER tell you, and you'll never notice.

You'll get a lot more satisfaction from installing it yourself, or perhaps having someone help you install it.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Wizawuza, are you offering to fly to Salt Lake City to help? That would be great.

If not anyone know anyone in Salt Lake that wants to give me a hand that would be great also.

GOC The more I read and think about it the more I think I will go with your screen. Are the DVD player brackets ready to go? Do you have install instructions for them as well. Thanks GF

Old 12-09-2004, 01:51 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
The single DIN converters are ready to ship and available for purchase at the digitalwheelz store (http://www.digitalwheelz.com/G35DinConverter_About.htm), but I still haven't had time to finish the install instructions.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:36 AM
hey, if you're willing to pay for a plane ticket from jersey/ny and give me a place to live for a day or two, then sure

But really, it's not too hard, just be patient. And if that doesn't work, search on this site. And if THAT doesn't work, ask in this thread, I'm sure someone'll help.

Old 12-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up i did the install

I would agree that the install was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I have never done anything like this - I was being super careful but I did break 1 non-essential clip. I must admit it that it took me about 6 hours to take it all apart (on a Saturday), and then about 2 hours to put it all together again (the next day). In my defense, I was putting in a carputer in the trunk and I was testing it out with the screen in between steps. I was also figuring out the routing of the cables to the trunk (which took another weekend to install).

The screen looks good and tucks away neatly. It is a simple design (which is good) but it doesn't have the "cool factor" of a motorized unit though. Since the screen is out on display most of the time, it's not a big deal - and it looks great on display. It's also at the perfect height, unlike the double DIN units which are low and potentially hide the AC controller. The digitalwheelz design maintains full functionality/visibility (yes, including the crummy analog clock).

My only complaint is that there is absolutely no 100% safeguard to keep the screen from falling forward (a magnet holds it in place and in my initial install it was holding it only very weakly - now much stronger). This does not damage the screen (in a sturdy aluminum frame), but it does possibly pull out the delicate ribbon cable that connects it to the circuit board mounted inside. It was agonizing to get it back connected without disassembling everything (my fingers were cramping but I did it - finally!).

I did run into a few quirks with the install - minor adjustments ahead of time (had I thought it through) would have helped. (For example, some electrical tape to secure the ribbon cable to the circuit board would have been nice. Another example is that the alignment can be adjusted using the spacing washers, which I should have done before reinstalling - doh!).

I tell you the best part about it though is the support. Chuck (God_of_CPU) responds immediately to e-mail and apparently has thought of everything (though it's not all in the manual yet unfortunately). He also took all my feedback (even when I was frustrated and hit a snag) very positively and came up with multiple solutions. He stands behind his work 110%. It is very nice to have him so readily available.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-10-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Sounds good - please post some pics if you have any! I'm considering this option (rather than a double DIN conversion) and I'd love to see how it looks in your car?

Also, can you tell us about your carputer and wiring job? Are you using the computer with the stock head unit? Doing nav?

Thanks for any info!

Old 12-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Smile

Ok,

I have some pics, not with me though - still in the camera. My hat goes off to those who have the patience to document well - I lost my patience with taking pics. I will at least post links to the best pics I found for the install (yes, the pics are already there on the net for everything from the screen to running wires - mostly from people running the satellite harness to the trunk).

Yes I am using a stock HU. But I installed the AAI-NIS for 2 aux audio inputs (one from on-board audio from the carputer motherboard and one from high-end maudio card).

The carputer is a P4 (2.4 Ghz) mini-ITX board with ATI 9100 IGP (search google for MB870 and you will find it - most components bought from logicsupply.com). OPUS 150W automotive power supply with direct power from battery is excellent (though pricey for a PS). I have it doing the following:

1. XM Radio w/Record functionality via TimeTrax ($100)
2. CoPilot v8 Laptop USB GPS ($350) with voice navigation and live traffic updates (if in a hot spot - see #5 below)
3. MP3 player using WMP
4. DVD with PowerDVD (dual display TV-out functionality on carputer permits having DVD display to a second screen [in rear] with VGA display on main touchpanel in front)
5. Internet access. I have a USB 802.11g wireless connection for accessing the computer remotely and web browsing etc.

The following are yet to be installed:

6. Two Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 web cams for rear/side view monitoring. Pretty handy for backing up on steep driveways given the limited visibility on the G35.

7. USB-UIRT infrared receiver to receive steering wheel controls from SWI-X (already installed) so that PC can be controlled from steering wheel using Girder software. I use this combo for my HTPC and it is awesome.

8. OBDII connection for real time performance monitoring and trouble shooting.

The wires I routed back to the trunk were:

1. 2 x RG6 coax for video feeds (rear seat DVD - I have an old $60 7" LCD display I got from eBay. The 2nd cable I thought was going to be for rear view camera before I thought about webcams).
2. SVGA extension cable for touch panel.
3. 2 x USB extension cables for touch panel and glove box spare.
4. 2 x RCA to mini stereo cables for AUX1, AUX2 to HU.
5. 1 x mini stereo cable for microphone input to PC
6. 1 x cat 5 for future use
7. 1 x DB9 serial cable for OBDII hook up

Last edited by rcdash; 12-10-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:43 PM
CtK
are there any pics with the black screen installed??

Old 12-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Whoa - RCDash - that is some serious wiring and implementation... I'm very impressed. I've done the home-HTPC thing, but never a Epia or something like an OPUS, not to mention OBDII, etc.

I wish I could hire you to help me do install and setup work! It sounds like you've done pretty much everything I want to try to accomplish. MP3, DVD video, net access, steering wheel control, a stock look, and nav - that's what I like to see.

I'd love to ask you some questions... I'll send a PM!

Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Originally Posted by CtK
are there any pics with the black screen installed??
I haven't sold any black framed screens yet, they are in development, but the black paint is causing some issues with my current manufacturing process. I should hopefully have them ready for sale in early january though.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:32 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
rcdash, where are you planning on mounting your webcams?

I replaced the rear light in the bottom center of my back windshield with a logitech webcam 3000 pro. It looked real cool, but the picture quality was terrible, it became white when the sun was out and pretty much pitch black at night, although at dusk it was beautiful. I'm thinking this had more to do with the placement of the camera more then the camera itself though. Just wondering what your mounting ideas are?

Old 12-11-2004, 03:08 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's my screen....

Attached Thumbnails Anyone install a DigitalWheelz Screen-screen.jpg   Anyone install a DigitalWheelz Screen-picture-screen.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a DigitalWheelz Screen