Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Speaker Help: Infinity Kappa Component vs Coaxial and Tweeter Mounting Options (Fit)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Speaker Help: Infinity Kappa Component vs Coaxial and Tweeter Mounting Options (Fit)

Vehicle: 2003 Infinity G35 Coupe with Bose sound system
Radio: Pioneer AVH-P3400BH (DVD receiver)

I am trying to stick with a simple audio upgrade -- cost is a factor. So I opted to install a new head unit first -- Pioneer AVH-P3400BH (after my OEM Bose radio finally failed on me). My next step is to upgrade the six speakers only, with a simple swap out (in line replacement). I have no intention of replacing the Bose amplifier, and I have no desire to install any sub-woofers at any point in time.

The ambient noise (road noise, etc) in the car is relatively high, I don't want to spend many hours and money soundproofing the entire vehicle, the car is old, and I don't want to put too much money into it. But I will add some sound baffling/insulation to the door side panel, rear seat side panel, and rear deck.

I have narrowed my speaker selection down to:
  • Infinity Kappa 62.9i (coaxial) in the front door
  • Infinity Kappa 692.9i (coaxial) in rear deck
  • Infinity Reference 6032si (coaxial) slim profile speakers rear seat side panel

I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra money (again, my budget is limited) to install Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (component) versus Infinity Kappa 62.9i (coaxial) speakers...??? I don't know if there will be much of a difference in the sound quality between the Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (component) vs the Infinity Kappa 62.9i (coaxial) when installed in the front door...? Any opinions?

Lastly, does anybody know if the tweeter for the Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (or for any of the component speaker series with the 10.9t tweeter, such as Kappa 50.9cs,60.9cs,65.9cs,680.9cs) will fit in the door space for the existing factory/OEM tweeter? I do not want to cut way the grill, cover, or trim panel where the tweeter is located. I am also concerned as where to place to crossover unit -- will it fit between the metal door panel and the plastic door side trim panel?

When I physically measured the factory/OEM tweeter it measured 11/16" (18mm) in depth. According to the Kappa manual the tweeter depth is almost 2" (49mm). I am not sure if this is the tweeter depth WITH the mounting hardware attached to the tweeter or just the dimensions of bare tweeter? Does anybody have some info?

Thank you,

Cameron

Last edited by cninham; 04-20-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Exclamation

Regarding the 2" tweeter depth - no. There's not enough space to do that in the mirror pocket. Maybe consider the A-pillar if you need to stick with that tweeter, you can probably squeeze it in there.

Moving on:
With cost as a factor and actual sound improvement in mind, I would recommend scrapping the rear and deck replacement so that you can replace the Bose amp. New fronts, new amp.

In your entire equation, the Bose amp is the one thing holding the rest back. IE, if you do go forward replacing the OEM speakers throughout and do not replace the Bose amp, there will be minimal sound improvement.

I was going to do the same thing that you are, and I was skeptical the first time someone gave me this advice (think it was Wrathernaut). I decided I'd try it out and if I didn't like it I could always keep replacing, but I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out. Hybrid Audio

The following users liked this post:
cninham (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Cost is an issue and you want sound quality?

Do not replace 6 speakers - especially because you want quality.

Replace the front door with good components and put a good amp on them.

I'm still in love with my Boston Acoustics Pro60se's, but there's cheaper options that also sound quite good. For the price of all three of the Kappas, it's pretty close, and having outfitted a previous car in Kappas, I can guarantee the two BA's sound better than all 6 kappas by a very large margin. With a 300w rms amp to power them, you can really go without a sub (did it for two months). Adding a sub later will give you a fantastic all-around sound system though.

There is room in the window sail panels for a 1" tweeter without really modifying anything, minus dumping some hot melt glue (or epoxy if you want irreversible) so you have something to screw the little tweeter brackets into.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Wrathernaut and Top Teke -- thanks for the advice. I will seriously consider your advice and recommendations.
(Wrathernaut -- I know I said "cost is a consideration"; what I meant by that statement is I am looking for budget conscience components with relatively good performance that will not break my bank account. I am willing to spend a little money, but I cannot afford to dump "thousands" into a kickass sound system. In addition, I dont want to put too much money into the car if I don't know if I will keep the car for too much longer -- maybe a year or two)

Another quick question: if I am going to go with a good set of component speakers in the front, should I get a 4 or 6 channel amplifier?

I like the idea of getting a 6 channel amp so I can retain and drive all 6 speakers, but the cost of a 6 channel amp is somewhat prohibitive. What are my other options? I have seen people mention getting a 4 channel and 2 channel amp and bridging them. My technical knowledge regarding audio setup and configuration is limited, and I am not sure how to do this, if it is even feasible, or even a good idea?

Lastly, for a 6 channel amp -- what do you think of the JL XD600/6, 6 Channel Class D Full-Range, 600 W, amplifier...? (The seem to run around $350 -- which is a little pricey for me)

Are there any other affordable but decent/good 6 channel amplifiers you can recommend?

Thank you,

Cameron

Old 04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
If you go the 6ch route, it would likely be to run 2 sets of 6.5's and a subwoofer, which raises the budget factor again.

If you get a 4- and a 2-channel amp the result would be the same, except that this route gives you more flexibility/expandability. You could get a 300w 2-channel, a 600w 2-channel, etc. Also means more money spent on wiring, etc. Then the question becomes how loud and how much will you spend.

JL make amps that a lot of users on Driver are happy with. If you are dead-set on replacing all your speakers the 6-channel route will work for you. I'd say $350 for that amp will be tough to beat.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Does anybody have an opinion if it is worth the extra money to install Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (component) versus Infinity Kappa 62.9i (coaxial) speakers...??? I don't know if there will be much of a difference in the sound quality between the Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (component) vs the Infinity Kappa 62.9i (coaxial) when installed in the front door...? Any opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited by cninham; 04-22-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: correcting grammar
Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 PM
I'd say the bIggest difference would be in your stereo image. Ie tweeters will enhance that.